• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Secrete link to sidelocks at CVA site.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pittsburghunter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I kept wondering why the Bobcats kept showing up at Walmart even though being told that CVA doesn't make or import sidelocks anymore :hmm:

Well after going to their site again this morning looking for load data I discovered a link to the three sidelocks they still make and sell to be honest I am very happy about this not a great selection but you can still get the St. Louis Hawken, Mountain rifle and Bobcat in both wood and plasic stock.

Their Hawken is a fine looking rifle as well. Non-traditional sights but that could be taken care of easy enough.

From their home page click on rifles and there is a choice of their different guns. You will not find the link there. Read the paragraph about their rifles and you will find a non-boldtype red link to these weaponds.

Link

:v

Good to know the new owners of CVA ain't quite ready to kick the Traditionlists out of their bed yet. Heck even A&H offer something besides inlines.

Wow, cool. My Mountain rifle was the best shooting rifle I've ever owned until I sold it. What was I thinking? At least not I can buy another one. At $250 brand new it's a steal. You can't touch anything for under $300 these days. Literally in competition, I've cut single strands of cotton string at 30 yards. If they could just improve the lock, the gun would be a classic.

Regards
Wounded Knee

We all should start e-mailing CVA randomly over the next year telling them how screwed up their thinking is and how we have used their products over the 30-40 years and how we are going to go elsewhere since they are driving their loyal customers away.
I think its only a matter of time before some states start banning centerfires for muzzloading season. It may take 20 years.

that sounds good to me. hunting with an inline in MO is no different than rifle hunting, Plus it doesnt make sense to me. ML'ers dont have scopes, (or shouldnt)

I don't want to throw cold water on the finding, but I believe that those are pages that are no longer valid that CVA just forgot to remove. If anyone successfully orders one, I would be surprised...

Actually Porkchop, I think the link is new. I go to their site every now and again and it is the first time I noticed this link, I was very surprized.

"

Since CVA's origination back in the early 70's, this rifle has been a mainstay in the product line. We're offering the St. Louis Hawken with a beautifully enhanced select hardwood stock. Faithful to the original 1800's design, the St. Louis Hawken features a solid brass butt plate, patch box, trigger guard, wedge plates, and thimbles. Our double-set triggers allow for sensitive preset trigger pull ensuring greater accuracy. Available in .50 calier, the St. Louis Hawken features a 28" blued octagon barrel. The 1:48" rifling twist is great for shooting either patched round balls or PowerBeltâ„¢ bullets. Overall length is 44" and it has a lifetime mechanical warranty. 8 lbs. total weight.

PR463 Ӣ .50 Caliber Hawken Percussion $229.95

"

OOPS wrong one

"The Mountin Rifle was the rifle of choice for the fearless men who first explored the American West. Standing up to the rigorous demands of their lifestyles on the trail, this rifle was not only reliable but was also extremely accurate. Today, CVA continues that tradition with the Mountain Hunter Rifle. Featuring a 32" blued barrel with a 1:48" twist, this rifle is great for plinking with round balls or for hunting down big game with your favorite conical bullet. The stock is made with an UltraGrain hardwood finish and its trimmed in blued hardware. 9 lbs. total weight.

PR4210 Ӣ .50 Caliber Mountain Hunter Rifle Percussion $259.95"

Yes, I know.
I followed the "link" and arrived at the Mountain Rifle page but I thought to myself, "I wonder if I went to the main page and then tried to find the Mountain Rifle if I would be sucessful?".

I was'nt. That's why I said "Stupid Computers". :) :)

Also, one must admit the $259 price does look a mite suspicious when comparable guns are selling for $375+.

I know what you mean Zonie I typed in manual and "Nothing found" I think their search engine ran out of steam or gas whatever it ran on lol.

This all started when I was looking for load data for the guy with the 32 questions. :blah:

Loyd said:
Wow, cool. My Mountain rifle was the best shooting rifle I've ever owned until I sold it. What was I thinking? At least not I can buy another one. At $250 brand new it's a steal. You can't touch anything for under $300 these days. Literally in competition, I've cut single strands of cotton string at 30 yards. If they could just improve the lock, the gun would be a classic.

Regards
Wounded Knee

I may be about to wound your heart to go along with that bum knee you have!

Your old one was 1-66" twist. About three years ago, BPI changed it to 1-48".

So don't expect to find the same bullseye with that roundball or conical and X-amount of blackpowder anymore. I think they cheapened the wood too & the blackened brass may be gone.

I need to look at that link. But it seems I run across a new one recently at the range. The one with the nicest wood now is the St. Louis Hawkens. That has a 1-48" twist also.

If you want a 1-66" in that price range, you may have to settle for the Traditions Kentucky with full, two-piece stock.

Snuffy I am happy that they still or just started again selling caplocks. Who knows if the flintlock guys start spreading pixi dust around what else may happen? :confused:

Someone said emails and phone calls get the attention of the bottom line executives. As I have learned in the past sometimes us customers have to get on their a#@ and tell them what is up. If two people yap at them they don't care. 100 start making noise ears pick up, imagine 1000 people calling in saying they want traditional rifles?

Something is screwed up on that site. I went tot heir search engine and put in hawken.
It brought up 3 pages of things. I clicked on the kits page nothing.
I clicked on pistol kits and a few other links they dont do anything and the pictures at the top of the search page are dead red X's
Now the actual site seems to work but I dont know about whats up when you search the site it seems old.

Pittsburghunter, look at the bottom of one of the sidelock pages. They are copyrighted from 2004. If I still have it, I can forward the very cold e-mail I got from CVA stating that they have discontinued all of the sidelocks.

If anyone is seriously excited about it, call them on Monday. I don't want to end the dance, but I think that the ugly lights just came on...

I agree. I have a CVA Kentucky. I needed some parts for it. They have some parts but when I asked if they carry any sidehammers rifles they said NO.

The idea of sending notes suggesting that they bring back sidelocks is worth a try. They were very easy to deal with every time I had to order parts (most were because I did something stoopid, not because of a quality issue btw...) They may be receptive if there is an outcry...

Don't get too excited about the idea of a few of us changing the minds of the Masters at CVA.

Even a few hundred notes etc. would not be enough.
In order to be profitable a company like that has to order 5,000-15,000 of one model but they also have to be sure of selling them all (without selling them at cost at Wally World.

Still they are a great company IMO for the begginer and getting away form sidelocks when it seems to me that state regs as well as hunting Ideals are changing about the inlines.

Latest posts

Back