• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Secrete link to sidelocks at CVA site.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I contacted CVA about a year ago, the owner stated to me that the sidelocks were dropped due to a business descision.

All of the parts inventory for sidelocks was sold to Deer Creek. Many CVA parts should be available from them.

I really think CVA should have kept their entire sidelock line! If it wasn't for the sidelocks they sold, many of us wouldn't enjoy the sport today.

So many of us became aware of sidelocks due to CVA's advertising years ago!

I don't think that they sold ALL of their spare parts to Deer Creek. I just ordered some for my Mountain Rifle...

I was in the sporting goods store a couple weeeks ago and was looking at the Tradional brand. On further inspection the kentuky rifle looked just like my CVA. The only think it was a .50 cal and I have the .45 cal. And I think everything would exchange. The store owner thought that tradional took over the imports that CVA had. Now I don't that to be fact.

My state (Idaho) bans 209 primers, scopes of all kinds and any closed breech systems for BP hunting. They have some "Traditional only" big game areas to hunt as well.
We can use "Musket Nipples" and that is as good as it gets. I would like to see more traditional areas, but there are a number of hunters that would quit buying BP tags for big game if they couldn't shoot their inlines I guess.
Jim in Idaho

I have a Traditions cap lock kentucky rifle, and a cva kentucky pistol, the locks are a bit different.
The rear of the plate on the cva pistol lock is fatter and wont swap out.
I would say you could make it fit though.
The CVA hammer is more square. Not sure but I think the CVA rifles would have the same lock.

If'n ya'll check the "copyright" date on the link I believe you'll find it is @ 2004...:-(
which leads one to believe that it's a "dead link".
Unfortunately, it costs money to clean upo your servers....
shunka

Must be an echo, I said that about 10 or so posts ago! :rotf:

Of course, I have been saying how easy they are to deal with. I got the parts order today. Two items are NLA (Screws of all things - plain old wood screws!!!) and instead of the sear, the sent me the cock for a flinlock! :cursing: :cursing:

I will be burning up the phone lines tomorrow!!

I was going to get a tradition ? the short rifle but all they made was a 66 twist thats ok but they had made a faster one, I havent looked lately but I think all are 66 now. Fred

Well, Ken at CVA was nice enough, but I am still a bit torqued that the goon that packaged the parts did not notice that the item in the Sear bin was not a sear....

I did confirm that the web page that has some folks all lathered up is an out of date website. They were quite clear - NO SIDELOCKS.

The Bobcats that people are finding at (any) Wal-Marts are merely just the display models that had not sold, and had been pulled from the rack to make a slot available for an entry level In*ine muzzleloader.

Usually there is only one (or perhaps two) Bobcat left in a larger Walmart Super-Center. I saw them at the two Super-Center stores near me and they were $54.87 each. Had I know that someone would desparately want one of these later on, I'd have bought all I could find (providing I had the money to do it of course!).

There is no great cache of these--unless someone very, very clever at Wal-Mart had the foresight to order extra Bobcats and slowly leak them back out one at a time. I just don't think so...

I also got a very cold reply to my e-mail message when I had inquired about the (then) rumour that CVA was to stop production of all sidelocks rifles.

I'm sorry to say that CVA's icy response indeed did echo the death knell for all of it's sidelocks; including percussion and flintlock rifles, shotguns, and pistols--cap-n-ball and single shots. It was purely a business marketing strategy thing. I think it will "bite them in the butt" (and very hard!) in a few years too.

Those web pages have to be old material that someone just forgot to get rid of. I'm sorry to say. It is very short-sighted of CVA to think that they (or any other manufacturer of muzzleloaders) are NOT going to saturate the market with In*ines. Honestly, what changes are left that could improve an In*ine muzzleloader? Unless it has a programmable set of arms that will automatically go and load up the gun, track the deer by radar or scent, shoot the deer for you, process the deer and cook it for you, maybe even eat it for you too? :rotf:

Let's just watch and see what happens... I think things are going to do a complete 180 in a few years, and those who didn't foresee it, are going to have a hard time trying to play catch up.

Regards, and shoot safely,
WV_Hillbilly

why not cover them with e mails to do that..... fred :thumbsup:

i sent them a letter this morning. told them they lost a customer and i felt they should change the logo. they don't deserve a lock on the logo. put some inl*ne on it. i know they won't care but they need to know there still is a market for traditional rifles.

someone please post CVAs e mail, address, ect , Id like to send them my thoghts too !! Fred :hatsoff: Never mind I found it at the top hitting link sent them a nice e mail see what I get back, think Ill see if we cant get them out of Texas for ML season.

Corporate Headquarters
Connecticut Valley Arms (CVA)
5988 Peachtree Corners East
Norcross, GA 30071
Phone: (770) 449-4687
Fax: (770) 242-8546

Web Site:[url] http://www.CVA.com[/url]

Customer Service Department

Connecticut Valley Arms (CVA)
5988 Peachtree Corners East
Norcross, GA 30071
Phone: (770) 449-4687
Fax (24 hours): (770) 242-8546
Email: [email protected]
Office Hours: 8:30am - 4:00pm, ET, M-F

All that is from their website. I will say this, the customer service folks - while not the most knowledgeable in the world - do at least have good phone skills and manners. (I used to manage call centers...) Of course, now that I have said that, the next caller will get the slug of the crowd and will get POd. LOL!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldnt help myself. I had to send them a nastygram. I own 2 cva's and As a beginner they filled the bill with affordable rifles.

I couldnt help myself. I had to send them a nastygram. I own 2 cva's and As a beginner they filled the bill with affordable rifles. :bull:

I am with you on that. Ever since I had a clue about firearms, I have heard folks malign CVA as cheap throw-away guns. I currently own 14 black powder weapons of which, 3 are originals (Musket, Double Barrel Pistol, Pinfire Revolver), 3 are revolvers (1851 Colt, 1858 Remington, 1860 Colt), 4 are single shot (two CVA Philadelphia Derringers, one Markwell Arms Kentucky pistol, one CVA Colonial pistol), 4 long guns (CVA Mountain Rifle, TC Hawkens, Navy Arms Hawken, CVA Bobcat). The largest representation by any manufacturer in the pile is CVA. They are not custom fitted pieces, to be sure, but they are certainly capable firearms. They may not be PC, but they are pleasing to the eye and very affordable. I am still kicking myself for passing on an early CVA Squirrel rifle. One day I will find another...

Latest posts

Back