• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Secrete link to sidelocks at CVA site.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently saw a post somewhere (maybe a vendor site) that said that the ATFE considers in-line muzzleloaders that use a center fire primer to be modern firearms and subject to the same regulations. It probably won't be long before states change regulations once the anti's get wind of this. CVA may want to rethink their decision.

Well, I can tell you that in Florida, if you are buying an inline, you have to get the background check. If you are buying a sidelock, you hand them cash, they hand you a gun and a receipt! :grin:

Pork Chop said:
I am with you on that. Ever since I had a clue about firearms, I have heard folks malign CVA as cheap throw-away guns. I currently own 14 black powder weapons of which, 3 are originals (Musket, Double Barrel Pistol, Pinfire Revolver), 3 are revolvers (1851 Colt, 1858 Remington, 1860 Colt), 4 are single shot (two CVA Philadelphia Derringers, one Markwell Arms Kentucky pistol, one CVA Colonial pistol), 4 long guns (CVA Mountain Rifle, TC Hawkens, Navy Arms Hawken, CVA Bobcat). The largest representation by any manufacturer in the pile is CVA. They are not custom fitted pieces, to be sure, but they are certainly capable firearms. They may not be PC, but they are pleasing to the eye and very affordable. I am still kicking myself for passing on an early CVA Squirrel rifle. One day I will find another...

Spot on Pork Chop. My current muzzle loaders number 15 (all sidelocks), with 5 of them CVA's (a 70's 45 Mountain Rifle, both 70's 32 & 36 Squirrels, a 45 Philly Derringer and a 45 Siber). Recently sold a 45 Kentucky, probably a mistake. They are great shooters for the dollar, have been very reliable and the one's I actually shoot save some wear 'n' tear on my better ($$$) guns.

In 1999 CVA was bought by Blackpowder Products. This larger company has really nothing to do with sidelocks at all! Powerbelts anyone :( :shake:
[url] http://www.bpiguns.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
I had trouble finding the Hawken/Bobcat/Mountain also. But here is the full link that worked for me:
[url] http://www.cva.com/products/sidelocks_louis.htm[/url]

I purchased a .50 caliber Hawken last December via the internet. I also managed to get one of the last .36 caliber Bobcats a number of years ago.

Nice entry level rifles, lots cheaper than the $500+ kits elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent them a very nice E mail how I liked the 3 or 4 sidelocks I have , and I use Deerslayers, sights ect Ive bought this last year and how I hate to have to" join the boycot of them" and we are hopeing next year to get rid of in.... for MLing hunting in Texas(bet that opened some eyes and burned up the phones to some Tx law makers) and they should change the logo. Got a E back saying they are back loged on Es it will be 10 days,then a second one saying they are formulateing a answer,The word Boycot woke someboady up. Fred

There are so many choices of ammo and inlines you don't need to buy CVA products. It is a shame that they would alienate so many customers.

Fred -

I too sent a very respectfully email to Dudley McGarity (President & COO) driving another nail in their coffin from someone who who started with a coupe of their sidelocks in the mid 70's and has used them off and on since. It will be interesting to see if they reply, and what that reply is.

I still have 5 of them (out of 15 sidelocks) but didn't have plans for anymore anyway. Still looking for a Senaca 36 and a couple more customs, but then I'm done.
:winking:

Latest posts

Back