• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

segment locks and rasp locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benvenuto

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Another unusual lock, although not strictly in the catergory of wheellocks can be mentioned here as there is at least, a resemblance between the two. This was the segment lock, in which the wheel was replaced by a pivoted segment of steel. No key was necessary with this lock as the segment was simply pulled back until it was held against the pressure of the mainspring by the sear. The mainspring acted on a tumbler fastened to the cock-spindle inside the lock in the manner of a flintlock. A cock, similar to that of a wheellock was employed to hold the pyrites against the serrated edge of the segment. Thierbach illustrates a combined segment lock and matchlock in which the cock is connected to the segment by a slotted link, and acts as a handle to pull back the segment for cocking. The invention of the segment lock is attributed by Antonio Petrini in his "Arte Fabrile" of 1642 to the Italian Gunmaker Rafalle Verdiani (c1580-1630). This gunmaker worked for the Medici in Florence and must have been a mechanic of no mean ability; but only one example of his lock is known. It is on a gun in the Tower of london Armouries and is signed and dated inside RAF. VERD. 1619"

"Another group of locks which come into the scope of this chapter were the "rasp" locks in which a straight metal rasp is pulled out, or moved longitudinally against a piece of pyrites or flint. They are based on an early pistol in the Historisches Museum, Dresden which, because of its traditional association with (the mythical) Berthod Schwarz, is known as the "Monks Gun". It consists of an iron barrel, just under a foot long, with a long narrow box rivetted on one side. Through this box runs a steel rasp of rectangular section, with longitudinal grooving on its upper face, terminating in a large ring handle. At the front end of the box, a curved cock with hinged jaws, similar to those of Leonardo's wheelock drawings, is pivotted, so that when it is brought down the pyrites rests on the rasp where it runs through the priming pan. The gun is fired by a quick backwards pull of the rasp handle. The design of the cock and the use of gothic lettering suggest this lock is of the first quarter if the 16th century. Other examples of the rasp lock, but of a latter date are illustrated by Thierbach. They include a brass cannon lock in the Zeughaus, Berlin with an action similar to that of the Monks Gun, and a gun lock from the Sigmaringen Museum actuated by a spiral spring"

Howard L Blackmore, "Guns of the World"
(pictures to follow)

segment locks

2919558_887e7e67e1.jpg

monks gun

2919543_6455420675.jpg

Benvenuto,
Thanks for posting them pics. That explains a lot about those odd locks. They sure did experiment trying to find a better way to light a gun, didn't they? :master: :redthumb:
God bless.
volatpluvia

no worries!
I like the idea of the segment lock in that no key was required to span it, but then there were wheellocks like that too.
The Marquarte brothers used to permanently attach the keys to their locks, and other invented lockes where raising and lowering the cock spanned the lock

Most segment locks that I know of do require a wrench, with the same mechanics as a normal wheellock only larger wheel radius.

46.jpg

do you think the wheel diameter would make them spark better or faster than a normal wheelock? Or was it just an attempt to simplfy the internal construction by doing away with the chain and the two-piece sear?

benvenuto,
Are you saying that soemone back there simplified the internals of a Wheellock?! That is just what I wanted to do with my next lock. Do you think it would be period correct on a full wheeler?
God bless.
volatpluvia

Benvenuto,
It takes me some time to process at times. Now that segment lock looks like it could be the forerunner of the snaphance. Could this be true? I have wondered at how the transition was made between wheellock and snaphance and the segment lock looks like the missing link. Then that rasp lock must have been the forerunner of the wheellock, could this be true? Curious.
God bless.
volatpluvia

I know that the internals changed over time, but cannot say how. Don't have any pics of late wheel locks but I thing some of them used a clock-type spring

I think the snaplock came after the wheelock, and then the segment lock was an attempt to combine the best features of the two.
The monks gun is a real mystery.
I have some private theories on the subject but I need more info on the gun

Robert/Sfl said:
Most segment locks that I know of do require a wrench, with the same mechanics as a normal wheellock only larger wheel radius.

46.jpg
Nice picture and interesting.Any information as to age,maker,nationality,etc. :hmm:

Hi,

I have some books that show 15th and 16th century tinder lighters. These had rasp and wheellock type sparking devices. Could these have been the origin of the wheellock and rasp lock? Some of these predate DaVinci's wheellock mechanism. Some also could be bolted to a kitchen wall.
:hmm:

Thanks for Info and link.The lock looks like it could be easliy replicated. :winking:

I prescribe to that same theory.Also I don't have a problem with forward pivoting serpentine matchlocks preceding back snapping.Just look at the usage of V-springs in the earlier crossbows. :)

Back