• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Select hardwood?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSCF0264.jpg

Here's what CVA birch/beech looks with two coats of Aquafortis and three coats of Boiled Linseed oil.
Bill

It's a shame that CVA didn't finish their guns like that. Yours looks like a mountain man's rifle ought to. Nice work.

two-bellys said:
clearly you know nothing about lumber :shake: :rotf:
Chris is actually dead on with his post about birch and bech. I've made guns from both . I prefer beech over birch as it's harder. I use AF for a stain on both , not killing the acid, letting them go dark.[url] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/Gunmaker/Clevland bucaneer/cbuck1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/Gunmaker/Bucaneer/b1.jpg[/url]
These bucaneers are both beech and stained with AF the bottom one is 6 or 8 years old, and has turned darker with age. The top one is brand new and the same color as the lower one was when it was new.

Last edited by a moderator:
my statement to the dutchmen was not in refference to his knowledge of finishing wood im sure he has forgot more about making stock an finishing them,than i will ever know ,it was to his statement the select hard wood ment nothing ,select is a grade of lumber just as p +p is to selecting you grade of maple stock material . in no way was i inferring he knew nothing about what will and what wont. :thumbsup

OK, I get it. :v I don't know much about boards either, but I can pick out a fair gun stock from time to time. :grin:

I thought he was just messin' with me anyway...

I know "select" means something in lumber grading, I just meant that saying "select hardwood" was just something they did to make a plain cheap stock sound good. Just like saying "fine Corinthian Leather".... :winking:

select in refference to gun stocks probabley does mean this what some-one on the profile shaper line, "selected" out of a pile of blanks for this stock :v
and my appoligies to you mr:dutchman, never ment to dis-respect you .i have learned too much from your post to do that sir. :thumbsup:

OK, these people have one of the biggest selections of hardwood and other lumber in these parts and nowhere on there "terms" link is the word select used. The only thing I can think the MFG meant was they hand selected the wood.

Goosebay Lumber

BTW I am pretty happy with the "select hardwood" on my little Traditions Crockett.

aTC.jpg

Go to my photoshop pages and you will see it full sized nice grain for a $300 gun.

Latest posts

Back