• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

semi custom

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new member and I have a question for all you "know it alls" :grin: I have been shooting traditional bp (mainly cw guns) for 13 years but I am new to flintlocks. I got my feet wet with a pedersoli KY but am now looking for a Rev war period semi custom for around $1000. I do not have the skill to build a kit so am leaning toward an "in the white" rifle. I know about http://www.avsia.com/tvm/ and http://tennesseevalleymanufacturing.com/index.php. Was wondering if there were any others and what you all thought of the two named sites. Sorry for the long post. Thanks.

P.s. I failed to mention I was thinking of a Virginia rifle or a "poor boy" type rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check with Tip Curtiss( [email protected])

in Cross Plains, TN 37049 Phone: 615-654-4445. Tip has dozens of In the White guns of various periods on hand in his shop for inspection and sale.

Also, check the sales section here to see what is for sale by members here. There are some true bargains, and you will get not only the gun but loading data for the gun you buy from most members.

I haven't looked to see if Sitting Fox has exactly what you are looing for but they sell a lot of very reasonably priced guns in the white. Check them out at www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com

Added later:
I just went to their website to see what they had to offer. They offer a completed Colonial fowler of the correct period that is beautifully finished for only $899. It is one of the most commonly owned guns of the period due to their versitility. They can shoot shot or round balls. They could be used for shooting birds using shot or for hunting larger game with a round ball. They also proved quite handy as a defense gun. Take a look, I think it may be just what you are looking for at the price you had in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with Tippy Curtis over any mentioned. Specify with pictures the exact hardware you want down to the thimbles. If it's produced, he will carry it more than likely. I would suggest a Chambers lock if at all PC possible.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'm gonna like it here.

Welcome, be forewarned asking about a type of rifle can sometimes open a can of worms so expect the occasional gruff coment. TVM makes a decent rifle as do some of the others mentioned. Most poor boys were later than the Revolutionary war. Guns from the 18th century generally had wider butt plates 1 3/4 to 2" and were more robust than those of the 19th century. The Virginia rifle that you mentioned would be a better fit. Also an early Lancaster as well. Tip Curtis would be a great place to start and you could probably get an in the white gun with a swamped barrel as well.

Tommy, thanks for the welcome. Honestly I was leaning toward the two rifles you mentioned. And as far as the gruff comments, they don't bother me.

Ray at Sitting Fox is a great guy. I purchased a Lehigh Valley rifle from him built by Jack Duprey. Real nice gun, good shooter.

Mike

Quality wise, all the builders mentioned will provide you with a superior rifle. The only questions are the rifle details/style and purchasing/service particulars. I'd definitely contact & discuss (by phone) to get a feel for the builder and his commitment to his customers. We live in the true "Golden age" of longrifles.

mjn said:
Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'm gonna like it here.

Oh you don't know the half of it, these guy's on here are the best & nicest group of fella's you'll ever converse with. If you don't know it, can't find it, or want it built, just ask around here and they'll gitt'er done... :thumbsup:

Good luck on finding your rifle and post up those pictures when she arrives.. :wink:

Danny.. :hatsoff:

Mike,

Jack and I are members of the same small club, he is a fine builder. I have gotten up close and personal with some of the rifles he has built. He doesn't build many rifles, but the ones he builds get all the love and care that anyone could put into a rifle. The only reason I don't have one of his rifles is when he has one he's willing to sell, I don't have the money. And when I have the money, he doesn't have one he wants to sell. One of these days it'll all work out.

Rick

Hi Rick, is Jack on the forum? If not, let him know how pleased I am with the gun I bought through Sitting Fox.

Mike

Mike,

I'll pass that on to him. I know he'll be pleased to know it went to a good home. I've watched him work a few times; he ain't fast and he don't rush. Everything is well thought out before he starts. For a skinny old codger (makes me look like a kid), he does beautiful work. No he's not on the forum or I couldn't get away with calling him an old codger.

Rick

Back