• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

separating breach block from barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clifford

32 Cal.
Reaction score
After shooting today, I cleaned my rifle and ran an oil patch down it. I can't get it out. Stuck about a foot down. I need to know about a Kentucky Rifle made for Sears, Roebuck and Co. by Miroku in Japan. Is the block screwed into the barrel and, if so, is it threaded with right or left threads? I tried so hard I separated the cleaning jag from the rod. Pulled the rod right out of it.

After shooting today, I cleaned my rifle and ran an oil patch down it. I can't get it out. Stuck about a foot down. I need to know about a Kentucky Rifle made for Sears, Roebuck and Co. by Miroku in Japan. Is the block screwed into the barrel and, if so, is it threaded with right or left threads? I tried so hard I separated the cleaning jag from the rod. Pulled the rod right out of it.

Breechplugs on sidelocks are not meant to be removed by the consumer.

Your best bet will be to get the barrel to a place that has an air compressor, remove the nipple, and blast the jag out...

CAUTION...ensure the muzzle is pointed in a completely safe direction as the jag will come out just like a projectile and damage whatever it hits

You might also be able to pull the nipple and work a few grs of 4f or 3f powder down in to the breech area and shoot it out if you don;t have access to an air compressor.

Thanks to Roundball for the suggestion to use compressed air to remove the stuck cleaning jag. I have a compresser but that idea had not crossed my mind. Many thanks.

Try pouring just a small amount of hot water down the bore and let it soke a few min. before you try the air compresser. It might help soften the fouling and make it pop loose with a lower preasure .This will help when you try to find that jag.
Rob

Although answers to the question may be helpful, None answer the original question - "Is the block screwed into the barrel and, if so, is it threaded with right or left threads?"
When a person askes what time is it? You do not tell him to buy a watch nor do you tell him how to make a watch.

Well, what we are trying to do is help him get the jag out without having to remove the breechplug, which is not recommended. May not answer his original question, but may be a better solution.

Although answers to the question may be helpful, None answer the original question - "Is the block screwed into the barrel and, if so, is it threaded with right or left threads?"
When a person askes what time is it? You do not tell him to buy a watch nor do you tell him how to make a watch.

You didn't answer it either...you were too busy trying to be[url] sarcastic...provide[/url] your expert advice directly to the poster's question...sarcasam is wasted on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that wether or not the breach plug is threaded into the bbl.or if it's left or right thread was the posters main concern.His worry was the best and easyist way to put the rifle back in shooting mode.The proceedures suggested to him have been used with success by myself and many others on this forum.To dismantle the breech plug could open up a whole new can of worms.Most Mfgs.void the warrentys and no longer stand behind the safety of the weapon.I'm not familiar with this make so cannot offer imformation as to it's dismantleing,or it's reputation for quality.I'm certain someone on the forum will be able to furnish the structual information He[url] seeks.In[/url] the meantime,He has information that allows Him to correct the problem in a safe manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the interest of getting to the best answer for removing a stuck something from the barrel, the answer to the question is:

The breech plug is screwed into the rear of the barrel. The threads are Right Hand Threads. To remove the plug you would turn it counterclockwise.
Removing the breech plug is not recommended for any side lock gun.
Removing the breech plug from rifles made by Thompson Center is almost impossible.
From the descriptions I've heard, I would not be supprised to find that Thompson Center designed them with a press fit area too assure pressure tightness
If you do manage to remove the breech plug from most factory made side lock guns it will void the warrenty.

Now, with all of that said it is time to get the object out of the barrel. ::

Another alternative if you do not have an air compressor and do not want to shoot it out with 4F...use the ubiquitous grease gun. Yep......if your nipple or vent liner is threaded the same as a grease fitting (like 1/4x24 or 5/16x24 or so), you can screw in the fitting instead of the nipple or vent liner. Place the muzzle in a safe direction, then pump grease into the bore until it pushes the obstruction out. Usually, that will happen very rapidly....so be careful. Then thoroughly clean the grease out of the bore. Okay, it's messier than a compressor...but if you don't have a compressor, or a CO2 discharger, the method works.
Jack

Back