• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rchargy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Any of you guys use shaders on your sights? I usually shoot at a range that faces to the east and the sun doesn't seem to be to much of a problem. I recently shot a match at a range that faces south. It was a bright sunny day and I don't have shaders. As the sun moved to the west as the day worn on I kept shooting further and further to the left of center. I think the sun was causing a shadow on my sights that I was not aware of. How did you make your shaders? Thanks.

I don't use a shader cuase I think they wouldn't let me shoot with one at a primitive event. I think you mean like a sight hood for peep's an such?
That sunshine can be a dickens though if it's just at the right angle (or wrong angle!). I found if I smoke the top flat of the barrel to get rid of the glare it helps alot,,that's my winter project. Every blued barrel I have is going to be stripped and rust browned with a rough finish! No more glare for these old eyes!

My barrels are all rust browned. I have seen some shaders that were made out of PVC pipe and painted flat black that just snapped over the barrel. They can be removed when not needed. I just wanted to know what everyone else was using.

I've tried them with positive results. Great for sighting in to assure consistant light.
Some shoots don't allow due to "open metalic sight" rules. Kinda' like blowing down the barrel...if the club/shoot doesn't allow then it's not an option.
R

You can make dandy shaders from chrome plated brass sink drain pipe. Sand the chrome off and you have brass shaders. I use a set for my longrifles. You can also by sheet brass or copper and roll your own. If you use the pipe, you'll have to cut a slot the length of it so it'll go over the barrel, maybe about 5/8" or so wide. It depends on how big your barrel is. You want tension on it to help keep it in place. You can also lash it down with rawhide laces or a velcro strap.

For my chunk gun, I rolled two shaders from sheet. This rifle is a halfstock and I milled narrow slots on both sides of the barrel so that the front shader snaps in place without using straps. If you don't cut the slots, you'll need to drill and tap your barrel for small screws that the shader can rest on.

Some shooters in my club use plastic tubing, it just doesn't look rustic enough. Some chunk gunners use shaders that are barrel length which works quite well. But, if you shoot fairly rapidly (which you don't in chunk gunning), heat can build up, especially with the thinner barrels and cause sight distortion. This is worse if you're shooting out in the sun on a hot day.

Shaders are worth the trouble if you shoot in the sun a lot. You have a more consistent sight picture. One drawback is the change in your rifle's balance when shootin offhand. My shaders are not big, but the gun is definitely a little muzzleheavy compared to when not using them.

I don't use 'em, a lot of the guys in my club do,made of Pvc pipe including some so long as to look like telescopic sights. I've never said anything, and never will, but I don't like them being used. Hank

I have seen a couple of original guns that had full length shader tubes. I thought they were scopes at first. I have used them, but not very much. They are of limited advantage. As said before some shoots don't allow them.

I like the idea of the brass sink pipe. I may have to try that. Thanks for your response.

I see that they are allowed at the Alvin York Memorial Shoot. Possibility here for some new forums...Primitive, Traditional, Not so traditional but not !^@#line, Anything that's loaded from the front.... wait...what...naaaaaa. :blah:
R

If you're within driving range of a plumbing supply store, or a really well stocked hardware store you can get 1 1/4" brass tube (lavatory tailpiece) without the chrome plating (Perhaps laziness is the father of invention?).

Good call, Alan.

Old time target shooters used 'em. Even if made ofbark or cut a limb and stick it in the ground for a chunk gun match. Mt Men may have used something if at a rendevouz but hard to prove a negative (that they didn't).

I've been using shaders made from drain pipe for 20 or so years where allowed. I do not use one for hunting. Quick install and removal. Springy enough to install and stay in place on the range. One for front and another for rear. Works, too, as can make 3-4 " difetrence at 100 yds. Don't take up too much room in shooting box as slide one in another and can put screwdriver or pen/pencil in side.

Without shader, and if sun is at wrong angle, real important to pay attention to clouds.

TC

RonT said:
I see that they are allowed at the Alvin York Memorial Shoot. Possibility here for some new forums...Primitive, Traditional, Not so traditional but not !^@#line, Anything that's loaded from the front.... wait...what...naaaaaa. :blah:
R

They're allowed at all the chunk shoots I know of and have been at least since the turn of the 20th Century. Many regular shoots at ranges allow them. Our club does. We don't use them in Primitive matches.

These things are about as handy an item as you can have, especially when the sun is out and you have clouds moving about. Some on here apparently think it's wrong to use them and I can't figure that one out. They have been used for well over 100 years in target shooting.

Alan, you must be lucky. I'm lucky to find plated brass plumbing in our local hardwares anymore, much less unplated. However, copper can be had pretty easily and sheet brass and copper can be found in my shop! I'm thinking of rolling some new smaller diameter tubes this winter. I think those will work better for my purposes. :hmm:

Shaders are used at almost all of the chunk gun matches and they do make a difference. I have some that are made from light weight sheet metal and folded into a "U" shape a little tighter than the diameter of the barrel. I also use 1" copper tube. The copper ones run full lenghth and I leave them full round, except where they slide over the sights. I cut a short length of tube, +/- 4", and split it in half then anneal the half piece and hammer it over the barrel. This gives it a form fit and I solder it to the bottom of the full length tube. Slip it on and off as needed. It actually acts like an aperture but is a legal shader.
Mark

I've been thinking of making my shaders smaller in diameter myself. Kinda like a globe sight, but not quite as small. The ones on my chunk are actually too big and still allow too much sunlight to get under there.

I've seen some shaders at some of the shoots that are no bigger than globe sights.

Kinda' like on a k98, or a Marlin M-39. I've used a paper towel tube on occasion.
I have some Nickle Silver strip, may just hafta' roll a couple up.
R

Yeah! They didn't look much different than those. I have to admit that something that small on a chunk gun might be pushin' it a little, but I do need to make smaller diameter shaders than what I have. I'm still tempted to make one barrel length. On a hot sunny day there are still heat waves dancing off the barrel between the shaders. My barrel is 1- 1/4" across the flats and I don't shoot fast enough to heat the barrel, so a full length shader should work pretty good.

Ranger,
Take a piece of PVC pipe 1 1/2" diameter and put it on a table saw and take out a 1 1/8" slot form one side. Cut to the proper length and snap it over your barrel.It should rest on the top of the barrel channel. This will give you a shader that will just clear your sights.
Mark

Latest posts

Back