• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shiny brass on hunting rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An apochryphal (sp?) old story says: Indian walk little, look lot, white man walk lot, look little.
All the best deer hunters I knew over a lifetime followed the first path, good smoke, Ron

You're right about the satisfaction of killing a deer while "still hunting" and it requires many more skills than sitting in a tree stand. The problem is the crowded woods and moving around "still hunting" isn't a very productive hunt because there's just too many other hunters in the area I hunt. I always "still hunted" for elk during the MLer season and very rarely ever saw another hunter...to have been able to hunt this way was "paradise". There are a few areas in Wisc. where "still hunting" is possible, especially during the week and I hunted those areas when I was younger, but now I just let the impatient, "hepped up" hunters do my "driving".....Fred

roundball said:
flehto said:
"...I kinda like that some deerhunters seem to think that moving around is the way to put meat on the table..."
Still hunting is very often a desirable alternative to just sitting in one spot, hoping & ambushing. No question it is more challenging than ambushing but to some that's actually the point...one of the attractions...the challenge of beating a deer at its own game.

Another benefit is simply enjoying moving through the landscape, seeing a variety of different wildlife in general...done right it gets its share of deer...and no question it provides a more rewarding sense of accomplishment than just waiting in ambush in one spot.

Different strokes...

i could not agree more. :hatsoff:

ronrryan said:
An apochryphal (sp?) old story says: Indian walk little, look lot, white man walk lot, look little.
All the best deer hunters I knew over a lifetime followed the first path, good smoke, Ron

true for deer, max 3-5 minutes walk, up to 25-30 min sit and look.
how about elk, have you tried sitting out and waiting for elk? :wink:

Ephraim said:
Just pull an old dark color sock over the butt of your rifle. The next time your friend flashes you in the woods tell him to put a sock in it or on it. :rotf: :rotf:
Ephraim

:haha:

Laufer, for almost fifty years my hunting ws confined to deer in various areas of New York, mostly catskills and adirondacks and hills of central state. I always hoped to hunt an elk, but never a chance. Now medical stuff likely means I will never get the chance. Havent been in the deer woods in four seasons. This forum is my way of reliving those years through the stories of others. People who post should know how much it means to those of us who cant join them. Good smoke, Ron in FL

ronrryan said:
Laufer, for almost fifty years my hunting ws confined to deer in various areas of New York, mostly catskills and adirondacks and hills of central state. I always hoped to hunt an elk, but never a chance. Now medical stuff likely means I will never get the chance. Havent been in the deer woods in four seasons. This forum is my way of reliving those years through the stories of others. People who post should know how much it means to those of us who cant join them. Good smoke, Ron in FL

God bless you, your attitude, interest and willingness to talk abut the great things we all like. i wish you better and good health and one day a nice elk hunt to fulfill your dream. if there is anything i could help you for a future colorado elk hunts, please feel free to contact me. there are a lot of leftover licenses in colorado, nice areas to hunt cows and smaller bulls in western units. :thumbsup:

can't help but think what a great excuse for 'nother gun. not a replacement, an additional

Back