• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shipping 1858 Remington to Shingletown, CA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alejohns

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy, I just sold one of the Cabelas 1858 Remington copies to a fellow in Shingletown, CA. I stated clearly that finding out local laws in the purchasers area was their responsibility and that I would require a drivers licence for proof of age. Still I'm a bit concerned, I haven't shipped the pistol yet, but California law is a web of legal print that I have a hard time navigating. Does anybody live in this area that could give me a bit of information on whether I can legally ship this pistol to this state? I checked Cabelas website and see no shipping restrictions to California so perhaps it's alright. I just don't want to get myself in a legal bind over this pistol. Any information would be appreciated.

People have non-inline muzzleloaders shipped to them all the time in California.

You can walk into a gun shop in California and purchase a muzzleloader and walk right out the door. No background check is necessary as it's not considered a firearm. The sale of non-inline muzzleloaders between private parties does not require a dealer either. This is NOT true, however, with inline guns. Inlines have the same requirements as cartridge guns.

If you have any reservations, you might call a gun dealer in the area you wish to ship to and ask them.

Claude, out of curiosity, is it all inlines or just those that use 209 primers?
And what's with your avatar? :huh: I was on this thread a minute ago thought about it and came back and your avatar changed.

The way I understand the law's on concealedable weapons today, is that replica black powder guns (handgun or rifle)require no registration or back ground checks, and can be shipped into the state. The only black powder handgun that is reguired to fall under the firearms law is the Ruger new army (don't ask me why? it looks like a new army mfg in Spain or Itily). I just checked this out today with a gun dealer in Auburn Calif. There is a DOJ web site in this state that you can go to, just search under california.gov.
Hope this helps.
rex (westcoastBPgramps)

Back