• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shipping a Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerheaven

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I"m new to this game.If you were selling or buying a flintlock could you just UPS or Fedx to home owner?

I"m new to this game.If you were selling or buying a flintlock could you just UPS or Fedx to home owner?

There's no Federal law against that and I do it all the time...however, I've heard there are a couple of states (ie: NJ, possibly Indianna) that have passed state laws requiring all firearms be shipped through FFL dealers.

One good quick reference is to look at the bottom of the muzzleloader page in a Cabela's catalog...they have to stay current on which states they cannot ship to a residence.

Also be advised that even if it's legal for UPS or FedEx to ship in your location, you may well have to get a real manager to explain what you're doing. The last time I shipped through UPS they had to get a regional manager on the phone to tell the local store it was legal, even though I showed them in their own regulations where it was OK...

Greg

Who would you guys use as the shipper to ship a flintlock?

I've used UPS for 20 years...for regular firearms and muzzleloaders.

Within the past month I've shipped a Marlin 336CS to an FFL dealer in NJ, and three muzzleloaders to residences in Texas, Idaho, and Washington state

Cabela"s quote-ATTENTION: Residents of HI, IL, MA, MI, NJ, and NY please check your local laws for restrictions before ordering any black powder firearm.

Than any other state should be fine.

Even Cabella's isn't accurate. It is legal to ship muzzleloader firearms to & from NY state.

I ship bp guns by UPS all the time. Identify the package as sporting goods. Don't disclose that it's a gun. There are no federal laws on shipping bp guns so far. :redthumb:

The laws are getting "sticky".
From my own experience I would advise you to NEVER buy a muzzleloader from a auction seller who insists on shipping to a FFL.
BEEN THERE ...DONE THAT....whew....took me 3 weeks to get my GPR off the ffl ....he insisted on running a "BACKROUND " check on the muzzleloader.....when it is not required! My backround is perfectly clear and the FEDS never replied to his NICS check cuz it wasnt necessary....
after 3 weeks I called the authorities.....
GOT MY GUN that moment....
WONT EVER have a mL rifle sent to a FFL again!
****** WEST VIRGINIA SCROUNGER *** :m2c:

Agree with Bushwacker! Call it a "fowler"...nobody seems to know what that really is. Call it "parts", just don't say it's assembled, etc. Only problem I had was sending a double flinter to Canada and that was only having it sit in Canadian Customs for a week being "viewed" & "inspected" every day. I called UPS and told them to send it or pay for it. UPS insisted it wasn't their fault but I informed them I gave it to them and they WERE financially responsible. Best part was I told them my uncle, the federal judge, agreed with me! It went out the next day!!! Got to get a judge for a relative some day!!!!!

A good idea is to take the lock off the musket, thats the way Pedersoli ships them, an unassembled gun, ya see?
I just shipped a Bess saturday, UPS, told them it was a piece of Art, made of wood and metal.
Well, it IS!!
:redthumb:

deerheaven,
i have received three b/p long guns from
Cabella's and they came UPS no prblem. received one b/p
pistol plus one long gun from RMC Sports by UPS with no problems. Purchased a F/L Lyman GPR from a private seller in Pa and the only when he could get to me was USPS.UPS refused to ship it for the seller. I had to sign receipts
for all these but now get this 3# of powder from Graf&Sons
it came FedX and it was left at my front door no signiture
required while no one was home. as near as i could tell it sat on my front stoop for 3 hours till i got to it. :hmm: :huh: go figure.
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

deerheaven,
i have received three b/p long guns from
Cabella's and they came UPS no prblem. received one b/p
pistol plus one long gun from RMC Sports by UPS with no problems. Purchased a F/L Lyman GPR from a private seller in Pa and the only when he could get to me was USPS.UPS refused to ship it for the seller. I had to sign receipts
for all these but now get this 3# of powder from Graf&Sons
it came FedX and it was left at my front door no signiture
required while no one was home. as near as i could tell it sat on my front stoop for 3 hours till i got to it. :hmm: :huh: go figure.
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

Yup...I've now had a total of three cases of Goex delivered to my front porch and they're just sitting there when I get home from work...and there's no secret as to the contents.
Don't you just love government bureaucracy...

rb,
i forgot about that the box was clearly labled what was inside. i hate to even bring it up but it was very easy
to obtain this powder and as long as its people like us
i hope there is no problem, but i do think we should have to sign for it :m2c: we should probably load up while we can. it's not going to get any better----we know that!

snake-eyes :imo: :) :peace:

Shipping bp guns to Canada requires some knowledge of Canadian firearms laws. You see, a percussion lock gun is considered a firearm for the purposes of registration, while a flintlock is deemed to be a non-firearm for the purposes of registration. This makes flinters OK to ship to Canada, and percussion guns not OK without a whole lot of hassle.

A friend of mine just purchased a GPR flint from TOTW. They certainly seem to know what they're doing as they identified the contents as metal castings and carved wood. No probelms going through customs. And oh by the way, if you want to ship to Canada, USPS/Canada Post is the best way to avoid customs problems. Couriers are just a pain in the (ahem) for any cross-border shipments of anything like a firearm or firearm part.

I ship ups. It is important to know that you have to refer to the federal fire arm act of 1968. In that legislation black powder firearms are given exemption from the requirement of shipping to and from federal firearms license holders only. It is also important to note that the insurance offerd by ups only covers the firearm if it was shipped in a hard case. If you go to a ups store they will most likely have to call for authorization to ship. Everytime I ship a complete education of the ups employee has been required.

the easiest thing i have found to do is just set yourself up a Ups account. then pay for it using ccard and just print the label, put it on said item and hand it to your local ups guy. no hassle. i have so much stuff shipped my ups guy just put me on his route like a bussiness. then again. i do have a C&R and in ups mind they treat it like a FFL. i also make sure i give my ups guy stuff at Christmas and on his birthday. he also knows if he is having a bad day and its hot out side he can take a bottle watter or soda off the frig on the pourch where he puts my stuff. he is top notch. i felt sorry for him when he droped off 10k rounds of ammo one day for a shoot we had comming up the weekend. poor guy.
Ronald

The last time I tried to ship a M/L to TOW through UPS, I thought the driver and I were gonna' duke it out!! Setting up the pick-up date and time with the UPS 1-800 number, I told them it was my great grampappies muzzleloading "antique". They said no problem and I assumed (we should know what that means)all was well. The day of pick-up, numbnuts said he could not accept a gun. I told him the stories about antique, curio/relic and the huge fact that his own outfit said it was o.k. Nope. He called his superviser who concurred and after a few choice words about each others parentage he drove off. I eventually shipped it back via FedEx Overnight ($$$$). I guess what I'm trying to impart to you is get NAMES, DATES, & PHONE NUMBERS, you may need them.

I know the cheesie little scam that is being run. It's to make firearm ownership and usage so uncomfortable and exspensive that you just wanna say "&^@% it". On that note, I think I'll order my Northwest gun now ::

Latest posts

Back