• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting bag, R or L side?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Applejack

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and this subject may have been discussed previously. If so, I apologize for the repetition.

I am a self-taught muzzleloader shooter after building a .50 cal. percussion Hawken T/C kit the winter of 1976-77. I made almost all of my accessories. My powder horn hangs from straps attached to my shooting bag shoulder strap with my patch knife paralell to the strap. I am right handed and carry the bag on my right shoulder with the bag resting on my left hip. I shoot PRB in the Hawken with FFg Goex.

In many period art work and photographs of muzzleloader shooters the majority of those pictured have their shooting bag just the opposite to mine.

Is there a correct way to carry the shooting bag? Or, were the majority of the shooters back then left handed? The way I carry mine seems the easiest and most comfortable for the way I load and carry the weapon.

i'm right handed and carry my bag on the left and my powder horn on my right, as i fill my measure from the horn in my right hand while holding my measure and rifle in my left....as i need stuff from my bag or box at the range i use my left hand anyway to git stuff also :v ..........bob

I'm right-handed... carry bag & horn on right hip - it's easier to do everything (dig in bag, pour powder, etc.) with right hand while holding gun with weak hand (left). (Like Claude said)

FWIW, cartridge boxes were "handled" with the right hand (hung on left shoulder, at right hip). Everything else (haversack, canteen, bayonet frog, etc.) was carried on the opposite shoulder.

:hatsoff:

I was always told that you should have the horn as far away from the lock as is possible. Meaning that if you are right handed that your horn should hang on your left side.

I tried this and hated it. Believe me, I gave it an honest go, but after a year or so I still couldn't get used to it.

Now I just keep the bag/horn on my right side. Works for me.

Me too except sometimes I carry my horn on my left side. Kinda balances the load on a longhunt.

Claude said:
Since I'm right handed, I hold my rifle with my left hand when loading. My bag and horn are on my right side, where I can reach them.

Same here!

I shoot a flintlock - Yes, a spark down your horn would be about all she wrote.
One way to help combat this is to NOT tie the powder horn plug to the horn. This way, you have to either have the plug between your teeth or in your hand. This should be enough to make one realize they had NOT put the plug back into the horn.
For me, I'm right handed - shoot right handed and carry my bag on my right side. I do hold the gun with my left hand while loading :thumbsup:

I'm right handed and carry the bagf on the left side and the horn on the right side, this just works easier for me. the main thing is to find what works best for you and just do it that way, I doubt if there is a right or wrong way to carry your gear. :v

I'm right handed and I carry my bag on the left. I'm a still hunter and carry low gun when walking. I don't need anything to snag especially when a snap shot is involved.

Yeah I got you there, I also wear both bag and horn as high as I can and still be usable, I am of the opinion that they were worn higher to avoid just what you were talking about, snagging on branches twigs etc etc. Just my thoughts on it. Others may vary in their takes :v

exactly! I think a lot of guys wear their gear too low nowadays. wearing it low like one sees on "Daniel Boone" etc only lets it bang around and hang on stuff. just off the hip or even a little higher is just right. but like I said, others may vary. To each his own :)

Right handed, bag and horn on the left side rifle on the right is what works best for me as it seems better balanced when walking

Seems to me all you shooters out there are shooting from the wrong side. What is it they say, left hand, right brain? anyway I shoot left hand and carry my bag on the right side. I figure it will keep all the stuff we carry out of the way better than having it on the left side.by the by this brings up a question I have a brass powder holder with a spring loaded device that lets the powder into the measure.I know a lot carry there powder in a horn away from all the other stuff that could go boom. thoughts?

When I first started shooting MLers I hung my bag on the left side (I am right handed). I thought it would be better for carrying the rifle right handed through the woods--gear out of way. Seemed right to me. Loading was not a big problem. Then I discovered Mark Baker. Tried it his way--everything tucked up under the right arm. It is better. How did the old timers do it? Both ways if period art is to be believed. Easiest way to reload is from a belt pouch worn in front.

WAR EAGLE said:
I know a lot carry there powder in a horn away from all the other stuff that could go boom. thoughts?

Some thoughts...

Like I said, I'm right-handed, so I carry my horn and bag on my right side. That's where my "dominate" hand can get to what I need.

I carry my horn and bag where I need them for "loading", not for walking down the trial. They both ride high, up under my ark enough to not be in the way.

I'm not worried about my horn blowing up when shooting, so that's not a consideration.

Disclaimer: This is what I do, but I suggest everyone do what works for them. There is no "wrong way". :)

Last few years I also carry 1 or 2 speedloaders ready to go in an inside coat pocket. Had to re-load in -10deg F And the lube on the conicals in my bag were frozen solid making for hard loading. :cursing: Didn't need the second shot after all as the deer went down about 50 yds. away out of my sight.

About the horn carry...everyone please be sure to re-stopper your horn before shooting! Then it is safe whether on the lock side or not. I have read a report that a horn did blow up from a stray spark because it was unstoppered. As to which side is better? Mark Baker et al insist on a high right side carry (for right handers). This requires cradling your rifle on the left, pouring with the right hand into a measure held in the left--then either pouring into the muzzle with the left hand (which is awkward with the rifle cradled there) or switching hands...if horn is carried on the left side, everything reverses. It is up to y'all which is most convenient or "natural". Same with the bag--do you feel better pulling stuff out with your left hand or right? Of course you can "get used" to anything with practice.

Back