• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Bag Setup for Fowler in the Field

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my current setup. The card "wallet" is the size of a deck of cards and the shot flask is about the size of my fist. As I said, the flask easily holds 3 pounds of shot, but I only put a pound in it.

Next one I build will be the size of a lemon, and probably still hold a pound with room to spare. My bag is only about 6"x7" and the horn is only 9" long around the outside curve. I've got a 5" horn that I put in my pocket along with the flask and wallet if I don't want to bother with a bag.

flask7.jpg

flask8.jpg

here's a pic of my setup. the bag has two large pockets on the inside for wads and an immense amount of storage space for tools, flints etc..

pictured are the bag and it's attatched shot snake which i usually only have half full for a day of shooting clays and hunting. large powder horn, tiny pistol flask for holding prime, turnscrew, flints, powder measure and vent pick.

random003.jpg

I'm still working on this same problem. I have a multiple compartment bag from October Country hoping that it would be the ticket and it works quite well but I've discovered that when you start filling up the outer pockets they expand and make getting into the central pocket harder. To make it easier to get my wads in and out I put them in a small tin (Altoid size) and my over powder and shot cards in a smaller tin (Altoid Smalls size). This makes them easy to tell apart by feel and get in and out of the bag. My shot is carried in a small bag like the one shown by gizamo and powder in a flask similar to the one shown by Stumpkiller. I've never found an Irish Spout that was tightly enough built to hold powder like the one shown by George (although I'd love to get one if I could find it). The big thing I've come to understand is that it is very easy to put way more in your bag than you need and all the extra stuff just gets in the way of what you do need. :idunno:

It's nice to carry either one or the other in the pouch.When I'm shooting a tradegun match that pouch gets mighty crowded and heavy.Just the fowling gear is easy,or just roundball gear.Ya never need to carry much afield.

Spence.
I use the same cabelas bag you have.It is in great shape after 20 plus years of hard use.
That bag is so handy I made 5 more leather ones just like it for the other gauges I shoot.
For powder I use a horn with brass valve.
For 7 1/2 shot I use english style leather flask. For larger shot I use irish style.

I don't do a lot of "shotgunning" when I do I carry the shot in a horn cut down to about 1 1/2 at the small end with a 5/8 hole and plug,7" overall length, I use the same antler tip measure for shot and powder, over powder cards and over shot cards are in the bottom of the pouch where the balls and patches usually are kept, these go into a leather pouch in case they are needed,also carried is a bag of wasp nest which I sometimes use, and a bag of tow, these are sometimes used in place of the cards, I also have a tin or bag of lubed wads cut in half to 1/4" they also get a shot now and then, I shoot up close and personal for squirrels, Quail and Grouse. All pretty basic and simple and takes up little more room than the standard ball gear.I carry all the shot gear in my shoulder bag if not actively going after small game so I have it on hand if needed.

crowkiller said:
Spence.
I use the same cabelas bag you have.It is in great shape after 20 plus years of hard use.
That bag is so handy I made 5 more leather ones just like it for the other gauges I shoot.
I can always spot a man who uses one of those bags by the big grin on his face. :) A good design, I wouldn't know how to improve on it.

I bought mine more than 30 years ago and it's still good as new. I just looked at the tag on mine, It says Great Miami Bag, E. Christopher Manufacturing, Miamitown, OH, and in red, all caps, MADE IN AMERICA. I haven't seen the Cabela bag, but the TOTW one is obviously identical, so I guess they are still being made, hopefully in Ohio.

Spence

Spence
That is the same label on my bag.Cabelas had a sale on them for I think 15.00 in 1988.Byfar the most usefull bag I have ever seen.

Dan some years back somebody on this site posted photos of what I'd call the ultimate fowling bag. I've been looking for the photos for over a year and can't find 'em. Mebbe somebody here can help. The bag had the shot-bag made as part of the bottom gusset of the pouch. Please understand..the shot-bag was part of the bag itself. It had an Irish head. This way the weight stayed low and made for easy carrying. Wish I could find it. Audie...the oldfart..

I really like the "layout" you have there. The double snake makes great sense. Is that your own build?

And the detail of the bag is what sets me in motion. I like the use of the Sam Browne button for closing the flap, and the way the top flap secures the flap for your wad compartments.

Looks as though I have a couple of new building projects in my future. Thanks... I think! :rotf:

I got one of those bags from TOW last saturday .I was surprised how nice it was plenty of room for everything and your lunch if you take one with you. Joe

As an interesting historical side note, I've just finished reading one of John James Audubon's journals, and he discusses a lot of very interesting little details about loading, etc. Doing a little research, I looked at him on Wikipedia, and there is a very neat picture of him done in 1826. It is very high resolution, can be viewed quite large, and shows that he has over his shoulder some kind of powder-shot snake with two Irish heads, but they are pointed up, not down as I would expect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_James_Audubon

Spence

Last edited by a moderator:
George said:
...and shows that he has over his shoulder some kind of powder-shot snake with two Irish heads, but they are pointed up, not down as I would expect....

That would sure solve any powder leakage from an Irish head, but I wonder about the accuracy of the artist. I s'pose you could rotate the strap around your shoulder so they'd be pointed down when you needed them, then back up to stop the dribbles.

Food for thought, and thanks.

Stumpkiller said:
You have to watch for "artistic license" on many period prints. Cocks and triggers backwards, cats with round pupils, horses and deer with hind leg knees that bend forward, etc.

Sounds like today's internet culture, doesn't it! :rotf:

Gentlemen, I am truly overwhelmed with the generosity with which you share your hard earned experiences and insights. I am in the process of sorting out which of the many suggestions posted here will work for me. I am indebted to you all. I will give you an update on what I end up using. Again thank you all.

Latest posts

Back