• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shooting original smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello community, I'm a muzzleloader from Germany. Since a few weeks I'm the proud owner of an original american smoothbore longrifle, cal .50. I use a .490 round bullet, 0,50mm patch an 45 grs of swiss powder no.2 which is very common in Germany and Europe. The accuracy is very good. At a distance of 30 yards 3 shots are 50mm together,even at 60 yards (50 meters) 3 shots are in a 80mm circle.

Hello Russianblood,

I will look for fotos an send them to you. The smoothbore is named "Davidson" and it is from 1820. It seemed to be a typical poor-boy-gun. There is only less brass used. most parts are made of iron.

Welcome to the forum. It is encouraging to hear from other countries with people's interest in reenacting history and shooting black powder. :hatsoff:

Kirrmeister said:
Hello Russianblood,

I will look for fotos an send them to you. The smoothbore is named "Davidson" and it is from 1820. It seemed to be a typical poor-boy-gun. There is only less brass used. most parts are made of iron.
As usual, everybody is interested to see pics of an original gun. Please post them here!! :bow:
ARILAR :grin: :thumbsup:

Kirrmeister said:
Hello community, I'm a muzzleloader from Germany. Since a few weeks I'm the proud owner of an original american smoothbore longrifle, cal .50. I use a .490 round bullet, 0,50mm patch an 45 grs of swiss powder no.2 which is very common in Germany and Europe. The accuracy is very good. At a distance of 30 yards 3 shots are 50mm together,even at 60 yards (50 meters) 3 shots are in a 80mm circle.

Welcome to the fire Kirrmeister, always great to have more muzzleloaders from other countries join our truly international community here at the forum.

Sounds like you have acquired a historical find, oh yes, pictures are a prerequisite for such guns. :winking:

Kirrmeister said:
The smoothbore is named "Davidson" and it is from 1820.

Forgot to mention. You have John Davidson, Rockbridge Co., Va./USA but he died 1832, 75 years old. And another John Davidson in Manchester, O./USA active 1798-1859. Hezekiah Davidson, Hart Co., Ky./USA active around 1820. Later you have Davidson & CO, Tyler, Cincinnati, O./USA, active 1840-65. All to late you find Otis Davidson, Nashville, Tenn./USA, active around 1866-75.
If you provide pics I am sure some of this boards experts will nail it for you.
Regards,

Kirrmeister glad to see you here with everyone. Great place to gather information and ask questions. What will you be hunting with the 50 cal.?

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag

Kirrmeister said:
swiss powder no.2 which is very common in Germany and Europe.

BTW. Since one year I use Swiss n:eek: 2 in all my original guns (from Japanese matchlock-pistols and musket through military flintlockmusket-civil flintlock pistols up to civil and military percussionrifles both RB and conicals).
The one reason is to make it EASIER both to buy, remember to bring right powder to range and what is most easy to get when competing round in Europe. Swiss n:eek: 2 is doing the job pretty good. Just my 2c.

Hello Remington Magnum,

first I will try to hunt for fox and wild rabitt. Deer seems to be impossible in Germany because for the very common game "rehwild"(it's like a small form of whitetail deer) you need a minimum energy at 100meters of 1000 joule. the smoothbore with a round bullet won't bring that.

Kirrmeister

Back