• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting stick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While stationed in Germany with the Army, I learned the value of a walking/shooting stick. Very helpful for both shooting and walking on uneven terrain like in mountains. To be useful the stick must be a little longer than you are tall. When walking on a mountain side the stick is placed across your body with the point end up hill. You sort of row yourself with the stick and remain upright and on your feet vs on your butt. When used as a shooting stick, you grab the stick and place your rifle on your thumb. Works real well from the sitting position where you can also get your elbows down on your knees.

In Germany the prefered wood is birch as when it is dried and seasoned, it is light as a feather.

I made cross sticks out of 2 old arrows and one of my daughters rubber hair bands doubled over and over again until tight.Shot a bunch of deer and antelope while using them.

I use a couple of 5/8 dowels. They are tied together using several wraps of twine or cord in a figure eight pattern. When they are closed you can slide the knot up and down to adjust the height. When you open the sticks up it tightens the knot up. quick and easy.

This is what the feet look like. Like i said I can use a metal spike AKA archery field tip. Or I can use these rubber field points. I like the rubber. Ron

Xsticks4.jpg

Back