• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting the .451 Volunteer rifle :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had an experience with the .451 Volunteer rifle today :)

First off, the Pedersoli push thru .450 sizer is VERY labor intensive. I lubed my bullets with pure beeswax. Very tough to push through, I had to start coating them in Alox and use a web belt to cover the handle and muscle them through. Gonna have to get some kind of press, I'm not going through that again...

Sized them all to .450 , had 38 rounds total (the last two I just gave up on)

I put in a Treso #11 cap nipple, just seemed like it would work well, and it did.

I loaded up 60 gr of Swiss 2f, then an Ox-Yoke prelubed .45 wad, then the beeswax lubed bullet. Bullet seated under the weight of my range rod with just a slight "push" to make sure it was seated.

First 6-7 rounds fired perfect, I swabbed the bore after 3 rounds but didn't really need to, bullets were gliding down the bore.

It shot very high at 100. My rear sight leaf is marked "2", I wonder if I can get a "1" leaf from Pedersoli, should fit my P-H Birmingham made rifle , I guess?

Moved my target to 200, theres also a 200 yard steel target.

Now, I had a misfire.....I'm like "what???" It was doing so well.....pulled the #11 nipple, put in the Musket cap size nipple. Put on an RWS musket cap, no fire.....pulled the nipple, put a few grains in the bolster, reinstalled it. "pop- Boom!" Hang fire but I was relieved it went off.....

Then I had an idea.....the prelubed Ox Yoke wads were contaminating my charge......ok....reinstalled the #11 nipple. Swapped and dried the bore. Poured in powder, no wad, then bullet. Fired just fine. Fired 20 more , no cleaning, no problems. No misfires , no hang fires. The lubed wads were the problem.

I prefer the #11 nipple on this rifle, it works well, I can get caps at any sporting goods store and the "old timers" say to use the lightest cap that reliably sets off the charge, for target shooting. The Ted Cash capper was handy.

I had a hard time seeing the bullseye at 200 so every shot managed to miss the red zone :) I shot just using my arms for support. I believe the rifle is capable, just I need to shoot more. I couldn't miss the steel swinger. Lots of fun hitting that at 200.

It has a healthy kick. Very fun to shoot, however my nipple is stuck on and my cheap wrench rounded off...I'll need to order a Ted Cash ratchet wrench..and I'll get a few more Treso nipples just to have them.

It's my first time using Swiss powder, it burns very clean and cleaned up quickly and thoroughly. Fouling in the bore was not heavy at all.

Attachments

• 20190215_150726.jpg
    20190215_150726.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 20190215_121328.jpg
    20190215_121328.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 20190215_150620.jpg
    20190215_150620.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 20190215_123559.jpg
    20190215_123559.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 167
I really like my Ted Cash wrench, works great.

Take some thread tape and use that on your nipples, it makes a world of difference getting them out.

Fleener

Glad you had fun, Stan. Try Ballistol or some other light oil on the .450 sizer before lubing the bullet. See if it's easier. Could be that fouling got pushed into the patent breech when you were swabbing, giving you issues. Did you take a pic of your 100 yard groups?

I didn't fire many at 100, and they were off the paper , on the target backer so I didn't bother.

I'll try Ballistol, or also my local Harbor Freight has 1/2 ton arbor presses for $60, I'll just use that to push them through.

It will probably take a few more range trips to get a load and bullet lube down, I'm gonna try some .451 size bullets, I have some hollow base bullets on the way. I think Swiss 2f is where I'm gonna stay, but I may try 3f to see if it does any better. I have to get some groups off sandbags.

At the rate you're going, I see you casting your own ball in the near future.:)

You can load a card wad like a Circle Fly over the powder then the lubed wool wad, that's how the British did it. The card will keep the lube out of the powder. If you have a bench vice you can use it to push the punch through the size die. Space the bottom of the die with an oversize sleeve and use soft jaws.

I did get a 1 ton arbor press today, works great but I have to "fine tune"......I pushed some bullets through the .450 sizer using a wooden dowel and the press, also sized some .535 minies for another rifle.

I will have to get a socket or sleeve, the one arbor hole size is juuuust big enough to just support the push thru sizer while I use the press block to push the dowel through. I'll get the hang of it,I'll measure the sizer and order a cheap socket off Ebay.

It seems like the .451 bullets I got from TOTW were oversized. I got 50 bullets from "blue falcon" on GunBroker he sized to .451 and lubed, they fit right down the muzzle of my rifle.

I still like .450, they seem accurate and go down the barrel nicely. .451 might be good for target shooting with swabbing between shots.

Stan, micrometer maybe?:) Two batches; both say .451...
Can also get a difference from melt temp and mold temp while casting. For example a high lead temp and hot mold will drop larger bullets. Think its good to know.

I have been Shooting the Pre Lubed Oxyoke Brand Wool felt Wads almost Exclusively for Several years, I have yet to experience a Hangfire like you speak of, I shoot Swiss Powder Exclusively in all of my Rifles. My Rifle was loaded for 3 Weeks this Year in Elk Season, I loaded it 2 Weeks prior to the Season, My Rifle was in and out of House Daily. I killed my Elk the 2nd from the last Day of the Season, My Rifle went BOOM immediately, as if it were 1 of my Centerfires. When i Bench Shoot for Accuracy, i Swab Good between Shots, Then Cap my rifle and Pop 1 Cap Straight through with Barrel pointed Straight down at th3 Ground, You would be AMAZED at how much Flaky Crud Trickles out, this is Coming from the Patented Breech, Fire Channel. I then start my Reload. After i dump my charge in, i “TAP TAP TAP” on the Wrist area of my Rifle to Settle the powder under the Nipple Good. I have had ZERO Hangfires using the Simple method above

This is typical Accuracy i get, Most of these Targets are on Video
d6k5tlFm.jpg
oW8xZ3Am.jpg

3rYUvhvm.jpg
xZ2QDsam.jpg

When you Swab between shots you are pushing fouling in this Patented Breech, As you can see here By this Old Pitted out TC Renegade I designated to educate how these look inside. After you Swab between Shots and push X amount of fouling in this Patented Breech, it is VITAL to break it loose, Here is why i Say to Pop 1 Cap Straight through with the Barrel Pointed straight Down at the Ground so the Crud can Trickle out, Swiss Blackpowder leaves a Dry Crusty/Flaky fouling, The Concussion of the Cap Breaks the Crud Free in the Fire Channel/Patented Breech. You are now Ready to reload. Just make sure and “Tap Tap Tap” on your Stock after you dump your Charge in, this helps trickle the powder down through the Fire Channel, and Settle it under the Nipple. Quite Simple Really, Once you see and understand the Patented Breech/Fire Channel. As for your Pre Lubed Oxyoke Brand Wool felt Contaminating the Powder? I can assure you, That is NOT what’s happening!!

zamwqSol.jpg

Last edited:
It may have coincided with the fact that I stopped swabbing the bore after I stopped using the Ox Yoke wads.

I did a wet patch then two dry patches, must have been the contaminants in the breech.

I almost wonder if, for my purposes, for just informal target shooting , if swabbing for every shot is really necessary.

I will watch the video when I get to a wifi spot

This video is on shooting and field cleaning. You might want to check it out.

I think the RO's and BP shooters around me would not like me to light even a cap off at the range with a rod in the barrel, hehe. Inspired though! Will order the lyman sights for my new englander even though the cost is going to hurt.

Even more of a reason to keep a #11 nipple on there.....popping musket caps would feel kinda painful, they're not as easy to get.

I can even get the non Magnum CCI's for a couple bucks less and just use them for popping.

I was also going to experiment with rolling up cartridges for the Volunteer using these hollow base bullets I found.

Back