• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting the Brown Bess for a first time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered a Jeff Tanner mold. It was for 1.0" round ball. His prices have gone up. My latest mold from him was $80. However, Tanner's molds are top quality. Google Jeff Tanner for his website.

Justmike, I have one of these on order, I can't wait to get it! What size patch and ball do you
use?

:thumbsup:

I would like to suggest you to consider an DP AN IX Dragoons or AN IX Cavalery version.They are a little bit shorter than Brown Bess or regular Charleville 1777 and much more maneuverable,especially for smaller persons.
They're also easier to clean or disassemble.
And ,of course, they give the same amount of fun.

grzrob said:
The 1816 has three barrel bands. This helps "triangulate" a sight picture
The front band has a sight, then the two other bands and the tang screw. After shooting it a while you will figure out how to align these points for a sight picture. It is much easier than trying to figure out a sight picture on a big long round barrel with only a bayonet lug for a front sight!

Thank for sharing this experience. I thought the three bands were troubling the sight picture, never expected them to be useful in this.

Then I will prefer the Harpers Ferry even more over the Bess.

Allthough I got a little disappointed on Wulfs reply concerning the work on the Harpers. But I think we will manage that IF problems occure. I do except a little work on the gun anyhow, if it is the Bess or just any other model (altering the trigger pull for example).

I will definetly go for a mold as well. To me, making your own roundballs is a important part of the hobby too :grin: . I will check out the links that are mentioned in this thread.

Best if you measure your bore first and come back to me. My OB is 4 years old now and I have a feeling the bore size of the new ones is a little smaller.

@ Barbara: Welcome to the forum! I am glad to see people from Europe! :hatsoff:

I would really recommend the 1816, because it has barrel bands.
I have a Springfield 1842 which is based on the french musket; its just a converted M1842 to rifling and percussion ignition.
I do prefer barrel bands because the surface of white barrels are very sensitive to powder residue, moisture and dirt and start to rust in no time if not cleaned and oiled after each shooting.
Sometimes a small amount of dirt gets under the barrel just after the nipple so after shooting I always disassemble the barrel to clean and oil it everywhere.
With the barrel of a brown bess you would have to remove the barrel pins (or how they're called) and they will get loose after some time.

YMMW

Maintenance will be much easier, and in my opinion barrel bands look sexy too - The more, the better!
:grin: :bow:

Don't think anyone has mentioned a smoothy is an all around gun since you can shoot shot out of it too,say in a smoothbore match,I tell everyone its good for shooting everything from gophers to grizzlys

Back