• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting with a Shooting Stick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had some fun today learning how to shoot with a shooting stick. Used my Kibler .45 cal SMR and a monopod stick. The top target is at 50 yds and the bottom at 100 yds. I already have the sights on this rifle sighted to shoot POA at 100 yds. So I know the group spread is simply my inexperience with the shooting stick.

IMG_0130.JPG

One thing I noticed is that while the shooting stick serves to steady the elevation, it isn't particularly helpful to steady the windage. I did also notice that I had to alter my usual aiming technique of coming up on the intended POI by instead coming into it from one side or the other, because there's freedom of movement side-to-side, but not so much up-and-down. Elevation has to be finely tuned by a whole standing body movement instead of when bench-supported by just squeezing my offhand hold. Maybe I'll try again with a bipod stick to see how that works for windage.

I'm unsure of where the best position of the forearm should be on the shooting stick support. These shots were taken with the forearm supported at the rifle's natural balance point. Is this the best place to place the forearm on the stick? Your opinions welcome. Thanks!!

Last edited:
It takes some practice and trial and error to shoot with a support. During the firing of your rifle the placement of your support, stick, will have an affect on your accuracy or POI. There is a natural harmonics in your barrel when you fire and finding the spot to place your support will take some trial and error to find. Pick a spot that's comfortable for you to hold and mark the forearm with some painters tape or pencil mark, something that will not move under recoil. That's your start point, take some shots in that position then move the support forward or aft of that mark and see where the groups are most consistent. Once you find the spot that gives you the most consistent groups mark it how you see fit. You may even get lucky and there not be a large swing in group size over a generous portion of the support area.

You can get shooting sticks in bipod and tripod configuration. Tripod is by far the most stable. Bipod way better than monopod. I have found when shooting off of cross sticks that a muzzle rest is the most stable. You are sitting down when shooting cross sticks so you can use your elbows and knees to improve stability. When using bipod sticks when standing for hunting, try just forward of the entry thimble. That area is a little less round due to the ramrod channel. Gives you a bit more stability. Have fun.

A mono pod is very hard to shoot off of compared to a bipod or tripod. I have tried both; after making the bipod in the picture my mono pod is in a drawer gathering dust.

stick 3.JPG

I added some ramrod pieces to the feet for a better grip.

stick 2.JPG

My cinder block blind behind my neighbor's barn, no deer showed up, I was using my rivercane cross sticks, I
left them in the woods one evening and can't remember where, an exhausting search has failed to turn them up.

block blind cross sticks.JPG

It takes some practice and trial and error to shoot with a support. During the firing of your rifle the placement of your support, stick, will have an affect on your accuracy or POI. There is a natural harmonics in your barrel when you fire and finding the spot to place your support will take some trial and error to find. Pick a spot that's comfortable for you to hold and mark the forearm with some painters tape or pencil mark, something that will not move under recoil. That's your start point, take some shots in that position then move the support forward or aft of that mark and see where the groups are most consistent. Once you find the spot that gives you the most consistent groups mark it how you see fit. You may even get lucky and there not be a large swing in group size over a generous portion of the support area.
I haven't found much difference with muzzle loader rifles but my modern target rifles need to be placed in the sweet spot to get optimum accuracy!

If available, lean the top of the monopod against a tree or other upright object. I tried a monopod and ended up using it for a walking stick. Now I hunt from a ground blind at a food plot and use an old camera tripod with a rest on top.

I'm unsure of where the best position of the forearm should be on the shooting stick support. These shots were taken with the forearm supported at the rifle's natural balance point. Is this the best place to place the forearm on the stick? Your opinions welcome. Thanks!!

I have a monopod and find that while it's an improvement over offhand, it's not much. I considered it for antelope hunting because it's not always possible to get above obstacles such as sagebrush when sitting and generally impossible prone.

My solution was to make a long bipod. Forget the actual length of the sides, but I'm 6'2" and it was long enough that I could spread it and shoot off of it at a full standing height. In my case it also served as a walking stick which I need when getting into the bush or prairie. I left it at the range one day and need to make another.

I differ with everyone (see my signature line :) ) on where to place the rifle on the support. I advocate resting as close to the muzzle as possible but be careful of resting on the ramrod with a halfstock. It will give you a bounce effect.

Here's why. If you rest your rifle at the exact midway point between the muzzle and the butt then any physical movement will be equal at the muzzle. Move 1/16" sideways at the butt and you move the muzzle 1/16". To visualize the effect, think about bumping your front sight sideways 1/16". What will that do to your POI even if your shot is perfect? The closer to the muzzle you rest the rifle whether monopod, bipod, tripod or bench rest the less effect movement at the butt (the human end) will have, be it horizontal, vertical or somewhere between.

I don't deny the harmonics aspect but doubt if shooting rested at some harmonically designated point will overcome a wiggle at the human end possibly caused by a heartbeat or any other minor disturbance.

I make my own bipod shooting sticks out of black bamboo we had growing on our place. For me the sticks go to where I hold the rifle when shooting off hand and I grip them just below the X. The bicycle inner tube is adjustable so they can be used from any position.
View attachment 345377

Would like to see a better view/explanation of how you do the inner tubing

You are onto something good with X-stix. It will double your effective range (at least). I generally use mine from a sitting position. I place the stix at least 1/2 way out on the barrel. The closer to the trigger you place the stix, the less stable, more muzzle movement. Simple physics. I have not noted any significant change in accuracy by doing this (harmonics). I use this position with BPcartridge rifles as well as my MLs. Generally our guns have rather heavy barrels so I suspect this reduces sensitivity to rest position. When sitting, you can use your non-trigger hand to support the butt of the rifle on the shoulder, making micro adjustments up or down as needed. Both elbows should be supported on or inside your knees. Fore end/barrel is sitting freely on the stix. Should have some points/spikes on the bottom to not slip outward and to free stand while you are getting into position. I really like the idea posted above by BPD303 using innertube for the pivot joint....gonna try that.

Would like to see a better view/explanation of how you do the inner tubing
The sticks are 5 ft tall and the inner tube is from a 20in bike it just slides over them snugly so I can adjust the height to what I want. When the inner tube is where I want it, I just open the sticks to the width I want.
100_2441.JPG100_2442.JPG

Back