• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler fowler, a couple of photos,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't you mean you'll be assembling this gun? Looks to me like it's already built.

That's why I will never buy one of these. As nice as they are, there's simply no challenge involved.
i have thought about what i actually did, and what you said. let's see, i sanded, i scrapped, i drilled, i whisked, i stained, i burnished, i filed, i aged, i fitted, i cut, i ground, i coated, i sweated over, i assembled, i tested, i ran into problems, dissembled, fixed problems, i reassembled. you are right! i did everything but build it, no challenge involved at all, nothing to it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Don't you mean you'll be assembling this gun? Looks to me like it's already built.

That's why I will never buy one of these. As nice as they are, there's simply no challenge involved.
To each his own. I’ve not built from a plank but have built some kits OTK. I’ve built some furniture and some luthier work. I really enjoyed the 4 Kiblers I’ve “assembled” myself and others. I think they are a marvel and get better with each iteration. The joy one receives from telling others at deer camp that you built this rifle is pretty cool.
Some like a challenge and some like the result. I’ve killed deer with mine.
I want to jump in and ask why you want to rain on others parade?
The fellow is enjoying the process. I get enjoyment out of others enjoyment in this hobby.

Does the base model come with the carving, or is that an add on? I have to say I really wasnt initially interested in the fowler, but am now....increasingly curious.
Hello Dave Boone, the stock on my new Kibler Fowler is a very nice grade of figured walnut. I asked for one if they ran across a good looker.
Since the stock was so nice, I decided to put some extra work in the build.
The cnc carving is nice but to me it was just a framework for something special. I decided to do some barrel and ramrod channel and mouldings too. It’s getting done, slow and steady.

Attachments

• IMG_4452.jpeg
    IMG_4452.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4454.jpeg
    IMG_4454.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4453.jpeg
    IMG_4453.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4450.jpeg
    IMG_4450.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Hello Dave Boone, the stock on my new Kibler Fowler is a very nice grade of figured walnut. I asked for one if they ran across a good looker.
Since the stock was so nice, I decided to put some extra work in the build.
The cnc carving is nice but to me it was just a framework for something special. I decided to do some barrel and ramrod channel and mouldings too. It’s getting done, slow and steady.
One more carving at the ramrod entry pipe. The Fowler can be customized to suit your taste for sure. A very nice kit.

Attachments

• IMG_4438.jpeg
    IMG_4438.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
i have thought about what i actually did, and what you said. let's see, i sanded, i scrapped, i drilled, i whisked, i stained, i burnished, i filed, i aged, i fitted, i cut, i ground, i coated, i sweated over, i assembled, i tested, i ran into problems, dissembled, fixed problems, i reassembled. you are right! i did everything but build it, no challenge involved at all, nothing to it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I see the problem. You know that little thing that keeps what ever is running through your mind from coming right out of your mouth? A lot of people here don't have that.

Very nice work, just beautiful.
I built a Woodsrunner kit from Kibler this year and have been shooting it with great pleasure. I have a built from scratch that I am still working on and have been since the 1980's. If you're into this stuff as I believe most of us are, you can't knock someone that has managed to bring the level of interest back to black powder shooting that Jim has. You can be a purist critic, but in the long run renewed interest and opening up the ability to construct your own piece of American history benefits us all.

Does the base model come with the carving, or is that an add on? I have to say I really wasnt initially interested in the fowler, but am now....increasingly curious.
The Kibler Fowler comes with a cnc craving at the end of the tang and the inlet and wrist plate escutcheon. I did the mouldings, side plate and lock panel details as well as the ramrod entry thimble. The tang carving I modified by re carving and shaping it to look more like a 18th century style hand carving.

I had only ever built from a plank and premade parts. guess since the parts were built by someone else, i just assembled.
I like Kibler's products and when one came available at a reduced price i bought it from a member here.
it took my about a week to finish it. the work involved was a great learning experience. it is currently Number 2 in my favorites.
anyone that builds one of Kibler's kits should be proud of adding another piece of art to the world.

The Kibler Fowler comes with a cnc craving at the end of the tang and the inlet and wrist plate escutcheon. I did the mouldings, side plate and lock panel details as well as the ramrod entry thimble. The tang carving I modified by re carving and shaping it to look more like a 18th century style hand carving.
Though unique, I don't agree that the carving changes make it "look more like 18th century hand carving" As supplied, the carving is more representative of original work appropriate for such a fowling piece. I can share original examples and further thoughts if you or anyone cares.

I have been following Jim’s work since buying my Colonial back in 2019. I googled him to see where he got his information. ( Jim, hope you don’t mind). He has been doing recreations for a long time and does research before making his guns. The man knows the business. Making alterations to the design will change his vision of what era or style he was working toward.
I understand wanting to make it your own but don’t say he did it wrong. I also adjusted a woodsrunner carving from incise to a raised design because thats what i wanted.

Though unique, I don't agree that the carving changes make it "look more like 18th century hand carving" As supplied, the carving is more representative of original work appropriate for such a fowling piece. I can share original examples and further thoughts if you or anyone cares.
Hello Jim, yes I would like to see some other examples of tang carvings. We all would.
My intention was to individualize the the stock useing your carving as the base. BTW I still have to clean up all the tang carving.
The inference that your design was less than authentic was never my intention.
I have been a muzzleloader builder and tinkerer since 1975. I most say Jim, you and your team have raised the bar for all the folks like me who have waited for a reasonably priced and historically correct product.
I have been following Jim’s work since buying my Colonial back in 2019. I googled him to see where he got his information. ( Jim, hope you don’t mind). He has been doing recreations for a long time and does research before making his guns. The man knows the business. Making alterations to the design will change his vision of what era or style he was working toward.
I understand wanting to make it your own but don’t say he did it wrong. I also adjusted a woodsrunner carving from incise to a raised design because thats what i wanted.
hello Sportster, we agreed on Jim Kibler, and his team. They are true innovators. I typically do not post rebuttals on this forum, however, in my previously posted photos and comments you will see a less than perfect carvings on my new Kibler Fowler. Not perfect but authentic is my goal here. Jim’s response was great, “unique” I’ll take the compliment from one who knows. Please read my response to Jim.
In my opinion the Kibler folks just might be the best muzzleloader gun kit suppliers we have right now. Thanks Jim
There are we ok now?

Hello Jim, yes I would like to see some other examples of tang carvings. We all would.
My intention was to individualize the the stock useing your carving as the base. BTW I still have to clean up all the tang carving.
I have been a muzzleloader builder and tinkerer since 1975. I most say Jim, you and your team have raised the bar for all the folks like me who have waited for a reasonably priced and historically correct product.

Sorry all for inadvertently posting this reply twice.

of course, i am no real from scratch "builder" never claimed to be! i call myself a transmission builder, but i certainly don't take a raw piece of steel and aluminum and "build" them from that! but yet i am a builder just the same! now that i have that straight i have been out in my shop all morning sanding and fitting the butt plate and trigger guard, this stuff is not all done by no means. to do it right it will take me about 3 weeks to complete. oh, and this is my 14th Kibler! not my 3rd. so, i have learned some lessons. i am showing the photos because i was asked to, not to argue about if the people that put these together are real builders or not, good Lord brother enjoy the photos as i do it, chill out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
you are wasting your time even replying to these grumpy critics on here.they have nothing better to do and cant do what you do.they act like a bunch of jealous women.

Since they posted here, they are subject to public scrutiny. It's not bitching, its my observation which I have a right to.
you are the type of person that ruins good forums. no one cares what you think. get a life and stop blowing your own horn post up some of your masterpieces rembrant and let me pick ur butcher jobs apart

And a dang beautiful job of it too. Well done, very artistic, and just the right amount to compliment a fine flintlock.

Thanks Jim for fixing my lock and in a very quick time!

Back