• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shot my 36 cal today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearbeater

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey
I took advice that is on some of these threads and one really worked. the one from roundball to lube up the patches a bit more that helped. my squirel rifel shoots great and tried 777 and it liked it very well. clean up was very good. I have a problem with the height adjustment, I ran out of it. it shoots 8 inches high at 50 yds. the windage I did not touch because it is so windy today. I just had to try it. for some of you that have and shoot 36cl what is the min and max loads??? I started out with 30 grs. and ended up with 50 and it felt good there and shot well there. is that a bit much??? my range rods I made did well also and so did the ball starter. :) :redthumb:
Bearbeater

Read your manual to see what the max load is for regular BP or the usual substitutes then subtract 15% to 20%. This should keep you well within safe limits for 777.

Don

No fair! Wish I had a .36-.40" calibre long rifle.

Be sure to shoot some groups with both 777 and real black powder...sometimes the accuracy difference is dramatic...and not in favor of 777. 777 is easy to clean, but Swiss BP is almost-just-about as clean burning.

Sounds like you need a taller front sight to lower your POI a bit...should be a very easy item to find. And of course a million different ways to "make" your front sight taller.

Rat

I assume when you say "I have a problem with the height adjustment, I ran out of it. it shoots 8 inches high at 50 yds. " you mean the rear sight won't go any lower?

Please don't take offense, but I have known people who got mixed up on which way to adjust their rear sight.

Not knowing what the distance is between your sights makes my numbers questionable, but if your gun is hitting 8 inches high at 50 yards, and if the distance between your front sight and rear sight is 25 inches, you need to lower the rear sight (or raise your front sight) .111 inches. (That's about 1/8 inch.)
If your rear sight is lowered as far as it can go, and if it has a blade height of over 1/8, you could file it down.
Of course, you will loose your V if you do it all at once, but if you use the corner of your file to deepen it, and then file the top down almost to the bottom of the V, and then repeat deepening the V, sooner or later you will get there.

As the others have said, you could replace the front sight, but pounding out the old sight, and getting the new sight installed can be a pain.

Let us know what you decide to do. :)

Hey
I have no more adjustment left I lowered it as far as it will go. As far as max loads I have no manual. I have a comfortable load now but dont know if it is ok by the book.
BB

Bearbeater: You might also think about installing a non adjustable rear sight. These are often a lot lower than the adjustable sights and they are more "authentic" (PC).
Because they are low, they also don't get knocked out of adjustment as easily as the adjustable sights sometimes do.

As for your load, I don't have anything to guide you on the .36 except to say your load of 50 grains is rather stout.

The .350 ball usually shot in a .36 weighs about 64 grains so your 50 grain charge is a .780:1 ratio (powder to lead).

Using this powder to ball ratio, a comparable load for a .45 would be 102 grains, for a .50 it is 141 grains and for a .54 it would be 173 grains.

Most of the hunting loads that I've seen max out at about 95 for the .45, 120 for the .50 and 140 for the .54.
(Yes, I know a lot of you folks shoot hotter loads than these, but these are the numbers I recall seeing.)

If I were to make a guess, the .36 should be happy with a 25-40 grain load.

Hey
I have no more adjustment left I lowered it as far as it will go. As far as max loads I have no manual. I have a comfortable load now but dont know if it is ok by the book.
BB

:hmm: What is the make and model of your particular .36 caliber gun? OR was it a custom made piece? Hopefully if it was a factory made muzzleloader, I might have the information that you are wanting regarding the minimum and maximum charge weights.

Have you tried shooting #000 Buck Shot?--as it is a very round and smooth .350" diameter round ball. :results:

Did you get the problems with your sights worked out yet? :relax:

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly :thumbsup:

Well, my CVA manual lists 40gr. 3f min. and 60gr. 3f max., but that sounds a bit high to me. If you have a good shooting load under 60 grs. i wouldn't worry about it though. I tried up to 60 gr. in my .32 Crockett, but settled on 30-35 for most shooting.

The 2nd edition of Lyman's Blackpowder Loading Manual lists loads of 30 to 70 grains of black or pyrodex, for both the .32 and .36. including 125 grain conicals in the .36. :results:

Hey all
I have a CVA with no manusl I bought it new and seems to shoot well. I like the gun real well. for now I am just getting used to it and will have more info later. the sight is not a pressing issue and will see what it shoots like at farther yds. I will check out the 000 shot though. I have a set of moulds coming. I am also going to try the 148 grn unsized 357 slugs with a wad. I like the advice that I get here because there isnt anyone around here that shares my love of these muzzel loaders.
Bearbeater

I tried those .357 slugs in a .36 muzzle loader. Don't waste the lead. It probably won't work. There are .36 Maxi Balls available. Use them. The work very well. I shoot 40 to 70 gr of BP, Pyrodex P in my .36 with PRB. I dropped my top load back to 65 gr with 777. Still shoots squirrels in the head at 50 yards. CVA squirrel rifle kit from early 80's. Nuf said. :imo:

Hey Merdean
I ordered molds for 36cal from Lee for conicals. I still have to try the 357 slugs because they are there. You can understand that a man thing. I feel comfortable with 50 grs of 777. I tried it because I heard so much about it so I figured it is a good time o try it. I think I will try a few PRB's with 777 in my 54 cal just0o see also. The instant light off was encouraging to me. I like the 36 cal for just fun plinking with BP.
Bearbeater

).

Most of the hunting loads that I've seen max out at about 95 for the .45, 120 for the .50 and 140 for the .54.
(Yes, I know a lot of you folks shoot hotter loads than these, but these are the numbers I recall seeing.)

Why would you shoot that hot of a load? The gain in velocity is not that much for the increase in powder. I have shot 140 grains in my 54 3 times. That was yesterday morning when we were shooting 250 yards at a gong and there were limbs in the middle of the range that made it necessary to keep the trajectory flat. (I did hit it once)

bearbeater
I just checked the Lee website. The only conical I saw in .36 was for a revolver. That is .375 dia. Won't fit in a rifle barrel. Is there something there that I don't see? :huh:

Why would you shoot that hot of a load? The gain in velocity is not that much for the increase in powder.....

I wouldn't shoot a load that hot. The point I was making is the heavest MAXIMUM loads I've seen are that hot.
The point I was trying to make is 60 grains in a .36 seems to be a heaver load than anyone would need to shoot.

If I wanted what I consider to be a heavy hunting load it would be 90 grains for a .45, 100 for a .50 and 120 for a .54.
Before I used these, I would make darn sure they were going to be accurate because IMO accuracy is the most important thing. :)

Since mine has a .350 bore, I'm gonna try a 125 9mm semi wadcutter, fer a conical. :hmm:

I haven't made any yet. :winking: I'm hopin' the riflin' will allow the .355 to work, it's the lands that are .350. :huh:

Back