• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot my Pedersoli Flinter today -dialup beware

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flm_shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Following the excellent advice on this forum, I purchased a Pedersoli Kentucky in flint, .50 cal, from Cherry's. Took it out to blackpowder weekend at the range, with good results:

1) The pistol was a big hit on the range. New toys are always admired, but there were several comments about the quality of wood on this one.
butt.jpg

and
side_profile.jpg

2) My touchhole is centered just fine in the pan.
touchhole.jpg

The lock was very reliable all weekend. I originally started with a large rifle flint. It was too long and was quickly chewed up. Once I replaced it with a smaller flint that one held up for the next 60 or so shots over the weekend. 2 times I had junk in the touchhole and that caused a flash in the pan. Other than that it was fast ignition all weekend.

3) The sights are horribly clunky.
rear_sight.jpg

They look way oversized for the pistol. The front sight does not sit flush with the barrel. It also shot about 10 inches low at 25 yards with 30 grains of FFF. I filed off about a third of the front sight and it was fine.
front_sight.jpg

The front sight gets thicker as you file it off.

4) The trigger was terrible. We didn't have a gauge handy, but it was estimated the trigger pull was around 10 pounds or so. A quick lesson on filing and stoning and I brought it down to about 6 pounds. This was fine for the rest of the weekend, but I might try bringing it down a bit more.

5) I did shoot for score (and came in 3rd place* :redthumb:), but was more interested in trying different ball/patch combos. A .490 ball with .010 spit-patches gave me a cloverleaf at 25 yards. I used my first batch of MooseSnot, and some 3 rivers lube. All worked well. .495 balls or thicker patching all were much harder to force down the barrel.

6) Hard to see in the lock pic, but the frizzen spring is huge. I think it is made from an old truck leaf spring. The frizzen is very hard to close, but pops open each time without problems. It does not seem to be eating flints. I'm hoping this will loosen a bit over time. The pan is fit perfectly to the barrel.

Now to build a stand, make a nice range rod, etc. Although plain and not perfectly correct, it is an instant favorite gun. At least one person left the range today swearing they were going to drop by Cherry's website right away.

*(3rd place out of 3 pistol shooters) :redface:

You got a nice stock with some nice wood grain to it. I like mine and had no problems shooting---ceptin' the trigger pull---a little stoning brought it down somewhat. BTW your nosecap needs a light tap with a mallet and a dowel. The rear sight needs some work with a set of needle files to open up the "vee" especially if you have to file down the front sight. Good luck I really enjoy mine and the price was even more enjoyable. :front:

Sounds like we bought our kentucky's about the same time. I've had my to the range twice now. I haven't filed the front sight down as much as you have yet, but I'm on the way.
I normally shoot a 50 cal flintlock rifle using a .495 ball with a heavy denim patch. Even with a .490 ball and a thin patch I still need a mallet to start the ball down the barrel. This pistol is really a 49 cal.
I agree that it was a good deal. I've yet to disassemble the lock to reduce the trigger pull. :agree:

Shot one yesterday. Pretty much the same experiences you describe.

Fillmore:

Is your flintlock Pedersoli the closeout one?

The lock looks case hardened.

The trigger should be easy to lighten up as I read in another post by Robert. And give that end cap a nudge back with a mallet and dowel rod as he suggests. I guess a light shot loaded mallet "touch" might also push it back down.

I ordered a couple and I can't wait!

Your pistol really looks nice!

Enjoy!

Terry

Actually, the "Close out" term is not accurate. They made a special purchase of a hundred and are having a sale on them. I suspect that with the number sold, that they will be stocked for quite some time.

CS

Hi,

We just got our 2 flintlock pistols from Cherry's today!
We bought one in .50 w/ a case hardened lock and nosecap. The other one is in .45. with a brass nosecap

These are probably one of the best bargains I have ever seen ever on Pedersoli! These are our first flintlock pistols.

I think brass nosecap on the .45 should/could have been
a wee bit longer and butt up against the fore end like on the .50.

There is a screw in the nosecap holding it onto the barrel. So if Fillmore taps it with the dowel rod and mallet, it may cause the screw to bend slightly. I don't think it will harm it. The gap appears to be very narrow.

Both pistols are quite beautiful. The touch holes on both locks are perfectly centered.

Fillmore: what size and type flint did you use?

I have only 5/8" x 3/4"s flints on hand. That is a English #5. Those were for a L&R CVA replacement lock. I'll try one of them...Maybe a 5/8" long X 1/2" wide flint would be a better fit.

I have never owned a Pederoli, so I do not know how well their case hardening will hold up over time.

I am still thinking about removing the bluing and either leave the barrel and lock in the white or rust brown them.

Anyone else out there jump right on in about the flint size. I am fairly new to flintlocks, so I do not know how to properly "size" a flint up for this pistol.

Regards,

Terry

The flint should be as close to the width of the frizzen as possible.

IIRC, I shoot 5/8" flints in my Pedersoli .54 Kentucky.

If you order them from Track of the Wolf, you can simply tell them what gun/lock it's for, and they will send you the proper size.

I have a 5/8 by 3/4 flint in there. The 3/4 is just a tad too long, it touches the frizzen at half-cock. The frizzen is 5/8 wide.

I would be very careful about tapping that nosecap. The screw in the nosecap is the only thing holding the front end of the barrel in the stock. There is no underlug on the bottom of the barrel. Those four pins are all holding the thimbles.

I wish I read this post before I bought MY Kentucky a couple days ago from[url] gunbroker.com[/url]. Oh well. But from what everyone says, this ought to be a fine pistol.

It looks like I should have gotten mine from cherrys....

Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back