• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot the old Lyman 54 some yesterday

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to the son-in-law's farm yesterday and shot about 25 rounds. Just shooting beer cans off hand. I have both .530 and .535 balls. I was just trying to decide if I could tell the difference loading them but I couldn't

I have never been able to load more than 2 without swabbing the boar so a while back I tried polishing the bore with fine scotch Brite as shown by Dualist 54 in his video. I did a hundred strokes with the red fine scotch Brite. I guess that wasn't enough cause I am still having to clean between shots

Forgot the picture

Attachments

• 20240927_152417.jpg
    20240927_152417.jpg
    2.8 MB
If you can’t load more then two your doing something wrong. What’s all the details of your load? I shoot an entire match without swabbing so it can be done.

Well I am somewhat to to this and have the same issues.

Seems to be a patch thickness to ball diameter thing vs actual bore size. Guess one could go with smaller dia. ball and a thinner patch material to get a .010" smaller ball/patch combo. The barrel's bore would be another thing to question?

Burrs/rough bore is a common problem in investarms guns. They are quite accurate but hard to load more than a couple of rounds without cleaning. Dulalist54 has documented this in his fix video. I used finer scotch Brite than he did and less strokes. Going to do a hundred more.

Last edited:
If you can’t load more then two your doing something wrong. What’s all the details of your load? I shoot an entire match without swabbing so it can be done.
Phil

I am loading 110 grs of Graff fffg , .535 and .530 balls , .015 pillow ticking patch, old CVA #11 CAPS ( THESE ARE CCI'S ). This load is very accurate in my gun .

Phil

I am loading 110 grs of Graff fffg , .535 and .530 balls , .015 pillow ticking patch, old CVA #11 CAPS ( THESE ARE CCI'S ). This load is very accurate in my gun .
That's an awfully heavy load, jb. No wonder you can't get more than 2 shots without swabbing your bore. I think I'd drop down to 100gr. FFg and try a wet lube, e.g., spit, "moose milk," etc. If wet patch lube isn't your preference, Google "Stumpy's Moose Snot," which is easy to concoct and is good for 8* shots before you'll need to swab the bore. Just some food for thought...

For plinking try 50gr powder and spit patch, i can shoot all day without cleaning. What do the shot patches look like?

I was thinking about trying some olive oil. Her Majesty has 3 bottles.
You are probably not going to see any difference with it. You need to use a wet lube. Spit is the simplest and everyone has an unlimited lifetime supply. Just pop the patch in your mouth and saturate it. This will wipe the fouling from the previous shot as you load the next.

There are other options than spit.

What's important to consider is how long it will be loaded. Are you shooting only at the range or hunting? If hunting you want a lube that is not water based but in a more liquid form. Hoppes black powder patch lube is a good one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hoppes-N...8c6897d11e141d221492f129828f2b08&gclsrc=3p.ds

I love target shooting with my Lyman .54, usually shooting 65 grains of Goex FF with a .530 ball and .18 spit patch. We shoot two 10-shot rounds at each match, I swab between rounds while I’m waiting, just because…..

IMG_2097.jpeg

Went to the son-in-law's farm yesterday and shot about 25 rounds. Just shooting beer cans off hand. I have both .530 and .535 balls. I was just trying to decide if I could tell the difference loading them but I couldn't

I have never been able to load more than 2 without swabbing the boar so a while back I tried polishing the bore with fine scotch Brite as shown by Dualist 54 in his video. I did a hundred strokes with the red fine scotch Brite. I guess that wasn't enough cause I am still having to clean between shots
You have a lot of advice already. For my 54, fun shooting and targets, I use 60gns of FFG, a 530 roundball, a spit lubed .018 patch (pillow ticking), and an overthrow of semolina (about a teaspoon's worth); using the overthrow of semolina, you can be as generous as you want with your spit - slobber away @jambuster and let us know how you get on. Oh, and I gave up on the 535 balls because they didn't add to accuracy, oft times making it harder to load as the shot numbers got higher.

Cheers, Pete

Back