• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Show N Tell your first MLer rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell but no show. Think it was a TC kit that someone put together, fired, didn't clean, just put in the corner for a couple of years.
Pulled the .45 cal, barrel, did the electrolysis thang in a tank while I was working. Hooked a battery charger to it and watched it bubble for a couple of days. Turned out that the barrel, was JUNK (looked like a lava tube) so I picked up a Green Mountain drop in replacement in .32 (that they don't sell anymore) refinished the stock and made a shooter out of it. The first of many.
Tried to sell it but no takers. Only fired 3 or 4 times than bagged, oiled and put aside for another project. So you could say it's AS NEW.
Still got the laves tube barrel and have plans to hone it out and make a smooth bore out of it. Outside of the barrel (with sights) is in pretty good shape. A little steel wool and re blue job will make pretty nice barrel.
More into building than shooting so I've always got my fingers into something.

My first ml investarms. .45, friend gave it to me. It was in pretty sad shape. Spent summer completely stripping it down and refurbishing it. Killed my first ml deer with it that fall. It also has taken my biggest deer, 11 pointer.

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    4.5 MB
Like many here, my first was a T/C .50 cal. kit in the mid seventies. I lived in an apartment with no tools or place to work, but somehow got the thing sanded, finish inlet, and the barrel draw filed and polished. I had a gunsmith hot blue the barrel, back when smiths did such work. I thought it was so beautiful that I had to clutter up its lines with T/C's vernier ladder rear sight and globe front sights. So much fun to shoot. Gave it to my Dad to use in Arkansas's new ML season. Dad scraped off the fragile tang sight and front globe, and replaced with awful red fluorescent sights that he used to bag deer every season until the siren song of in-lines turned him to the dark side. I lost Dad five years ago and welcomed back the battered T/C. Dad had used it as intended, as a working tool without much TLC for the bore. I freshed up the old girl with an aftermarket barrel, but kept the old one as a memento relic. I found the vernier tang sight in Dad's fishing gear, minus a few parts. I'm slowly getting it back to its original presentation condition to my Dad. So much nostalgia in an inanimate chunk of wood, steel and brass.

Back