• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sighting in TC Renegade Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grillgod

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm trying to sight in my TC Renegade 54 cal. and am not having a whole lot of luck. I just pruchased a Bushnell Dusk to Dawn 1.5 to 4.5 scope, which I had bore sighted. I'm using TC Maxihunters 450 gr. and just bought Triple 7 FFG shooting 90 gr. At 25 and 50 yards I keep shooting right, no matter what I do. I'm having a hard time getting a group. I was using Goex FFG Black Powder, with the same result. I don't think I'm that bad of a shot, but maybe I am. Any suggestions!

1. The Renegade produces a heavy recoil at times, check the mounting screws at the base/barrel conection and see if they came loose...

A bit of locktight or your wife's/girlfriend's fingernail polish on the screws will lock the threads in place when you retighten them...

2. Check the base to scope conection for loose screws/rings, is the base made for the larger octagon barrel that the Renegade has?

Is your scope a muzzleloader scope???

3. Try a different projectile, TC Maxihunters :imo: don't fly right due to their hallow point...

Welcome,

The load wouldn't have anything to do with it. And it seems conventional, in any case. If you can't correct the windage with the internal adjustments at 25 yards, then the mount is poorly installed. If it was bore-sighted, this should not be a problem unless the same place that wasn't much good at installing mounts wasn't much good at bore-sighting, either. What type of mount is it? Some have rough adjustments possible with the rear ring.

You can shim the rear left and front right of the mount with small pieces of brass stock or credit cards to skew the mount emough to center the axis.

To answer some questions the mount I have is for the renegade and is a Holden. I checked all of the screwes and everything is tight. The scope is for Shotguns and Muzzleloaders. What different projectiles would anyone recomend?

If you're not going after anything bigger than deer / elk, you could just use Hornady or Speer .530/230grn balls with TC's .018" prelubed pillow ticking patches...

What to shoot is irrelevant if the gun will not shoot where it is aimed.

Is the gun giving a group? Is the group consistant? How large and exactly where in relationship to point of aim?

Bore sighting alligns the muzzle with the scope but does not guarentee that the breech is aligned with the scope.

Before you do anything, you have to get a group to adjust.

each click on the scope is usually 1/4" at 25 yds. Move the center of the group to point of aim.

If there is not enough adjustment we can do other things too. I believe the Renegade comes drilled and tapped, so there should be no great problem with the ionstallation or mounts.

My two T/C .54 caliber Renegades never did like Maxi-hunters. Maxi-ball shot all right. 426 grain Buffalo Bullets shot good also. R.E.A.L. 300 grain and 380 grain conicals, lubed and with a wonderwad shoot real good. And of course 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and a patched roundball shot excellent.

Before I would worry about where the scope was hitting, I would make sure that rascal groups good and tight. Even at only 25 yards. There is no use chasing bullet holes with scope adjustments from a projectile that does not shoot good in the first place. You can in some cases actually damage your scope.

Get some .530 roundball, and some pillow tick cotton 100% material at Wal-Mart.. I use the blue stripe. Then make up some of Stumpy's Moose Milk and use that as a lube. Start your loads around 70 grains and shoot five shot groups at 25 yards. When all the hits are a ragged hole (or real close to it) then we can worry about the scope. Start increasing your powder charge 5 grains at a time until you get the tightest group possible. Now you have your sweet load and you can adjust your scope.

It will be interesting to hear how the rifle does. I was thinking of mounting a scope on one of the Renegades I have. Where did you get the mount from?

thanks...

I have a Holden scope mount. I bought it at a local gunshop that is no longer in business. You don't have to have the gun drilled and tapped. It screws right into where the original rear sight is mounted and the screw that is just on the other side of the rear of the barrel. It puts the sight back, so eye relief is not a problem. It works good. I shot 30+ rounds today and it never came loose. :)

[quote At 25 and 50 yards I keep shooting right, no matter what I do. I'm having a hard time getting a group. I was using Goex FFG Black Powder, with the same result. I don't think I'm that bad of a shot, but maybe I am. Any suggestions! [/quote]

from your statement above it would seem you are grouping to the right .is this correct?
a couple of things i might consider is either one of the mounts is not in line with the bore or your stock position at the shoulder isn't allowing you to get the proper sight picture .
these are merely suggestions .i would certainly defer to the previous threads first and eliminate them one by one .
accuracy problems sometimes take a lot of time and effort before the cause is found :yakyak: :yakyak: :rolleyes: :shake: :m2c: :thumbsup:

Grillgod:

Take your barrel off and place a "flat" bar of some sort on the flats of the barrel, look for gaps showing between the two...

Do this to all sides, this will let you know if you have a bent barrel, does not have to be bent much to through the point of aim off...

Try the T/C Maxiball, my Renegade loved them...

Back