• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sika Hunting on Assateague Island

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallas10c

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just notified that I won one of the lottery hunts on Chincoteague NWR in December. I would love for anyone with any info or experience with these animals to post some info or tips on what I should expect or do to track these mini-elk down. My slot is also one of the ones where I can take whitetails too! Looking forward to spending time "mini-elk" hunting.

That is very cool. I've always thought of doing that but never took the time when I lived in VA. I've been there several times and they are a real nice looking critter. It is low, thick, and somewhat wet ground for the most part. Nasty with bugs during warm weather but in Dec. it should be lots better.

Good luck, have fun and I wish I could help you with some better info.

They are shorter and wider than whitetails, with very brown, shaggy coats. They prefer creek beds and will very often wallow in the mud, so look for them there. The buck I got years ago tasted like sirloin, the best venison I've ever had.

Yes best tasting venison ever.
They are tough deer and can take plenty gun, be prepared to keep looking and don't expect much blood!
Good luck and best wishes :hatsoff:

Brits.

Sika are great table fare and fun to hunt. We get a lot of them here in the hill country, hide makes some great brain tan.

Mini elk is exactly right as in about 40lbs typically. Think fawn whitetail and you have the sika deer. Never heard that they are "tough". These things are like rats to the National Wildlife Service. They compete directly with the ducks. The Assateague is a duck/goose refuge, so the Sikas are a pest. In the summer the Sika's are all over the marshes and ponds.

If you are targeting the sika's you will not be in whitetail habitat. The sika's stay in the wet marsh as in up to your knees wet. They literally live in the water. Better name would be duck deer. Good luck have fun. If you have access to good whitetail hunting I would stay home, but that's just me.

Back