• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Simple question…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friend, it either rains or it doesn't.
In our past, it rained or it didn't,,
So "blame game?" How did people, 400yrs ago, not shoot game for food?
It's pretty simple, want food? care for the gun while in the rain,
want to shoot target and eat a can of spam? don't care for the gun
It's history, within all voyageur, pork eater or havernat?
Your choice, same as theirs,,

I'm sorry, I guess I just couldn't/can't get that our history has been lost that far. I never got a flintlock without learning about it first,,
You've got history here, I presumed you knew how,??
😂

and that's what happens. it's funny when you suggest that a person think, or find resolve on their own.
it's easier if you just ask for the answer. you get an "A" on the paper,
,but flunk the final test

and that's what happens. it's funny when you suggest that a person think, or find resolve on their own.
it's easier if you just ask for the answer. you get an "A" on the paper,
,but flunk the final test
Ok, the ship is sinking fast, and the guy with the inflatable raft doesn’t know how it works and you do. He asks for help and your response is “read the instruction manual.” Crimony, I had college professors like that.

Did you finish college? Or still trying to figure it out what your 4yr degree achieved for you?
Teaching, isn't giving the answer, teaching isn't showing how to look up the answer.
Teaching, is to nurture learning. Actual development of skill, the ability too learn and apply.
You have a history of being a rude, miserable jerk even to new members that asks for help. People come here for help, not to be offended.

Most of us have our opinions and may disagree in a debate, but when someone asks a question there’s no excuse for being rude.

You do this forum no service by conducting yourself in such a manner.

Attachments

• IMG_1889.png
    IMG_1889.png
    227.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Did you finish college? Or still trying to figure it out what your 4yr degree achieved for you?
Teaching, isn't giving the answer, teaching isn't showing how to look up the answer.
Teaching, is to nurture learning. Actual development of skill, the ability too learn and apply.
Answers:
1. Yes
2. No
My experience led me to completely understand how to research. I also always appreciated Masters of a discipline that had “rediscovered” processes and knowledge lost to time. The fact that they were willing to share the knowledge that took the 30+ years of work is admirable, helpful, professional and decent.
Some attitudes remind me of the church lady with a fantastic recipe that all love. When asked for the recipe she intentionally left out ingredients or changed the recipe so she could hold her place of self-amazed honor.

May you enjoy the life you’ve chosen.
Charles Dickens

Last edited:
I will hunt, and have hunted, in a light rain with my flintlocks. The guns have never failed to fire; and one one of those drizzly days I did take a deer. I use a greased lock cover, and carry the arm with the covered lock under my armpit, under my capot, with the barrel always sloping down. I also change the priming at least every hour. And I often seek the cover of a nice big tree.

When it's raining more steadily, I do what I imagine my ancestors would have done. Stay in, stay dry, and don't risk illness.

I wouldn't participate in a shoot in the rain. The more you expose your gun to it, the more chance you have of problems. And just standing around in the rain has never appealed to me... no matter what I'm doing.

I don't hunt in the rain anymore. But most of my problems were carrying the rifle all day, the rain would run down the barrel and into the pan no matter what I put there to stop it or put over the lock to keep the rain out. I even had a deer miss causing hangfire with a percussion rifle when I loaded it outside without firing a couple of caps first because we were too close to where we were hunting.

You have a history of being a rude, miserable jerk,
Yes. I have. And I am.
Random, thoughtless questions of obvious historical information does sometimes require a response that will make an individual think.
It is a difficult thing today, our children where never taught to think, too use their mind solve, it's referred to as "critical thinking"(?)
That ability seems to have been lost.
I would love to continue sharing personal experience with you and many others in all topics.
But when it's how do you shoot in the rain?
My best answer is don't, stay inside, if you do go outside in the rain wear a rain coat, and be sure to stay warm, don't let your body temp to go too low.
The most important thing is that you stay safe, dry and warm.
It can be a hazard being outside, :dunno:

Last edited:
I am brand new to flintlocks and black powder shooting.
The simple answer in my way of thinking is no that they are not.
If they were reliable in the rain the question of whether or not they were reliable wouldn't need to be brought up.
I don't hunt in the rain anymore. But most of my problems were carrying the rifle all day, the rain would run down the barrel and into the pan no matter what I put there to stop it or put over the lock to keep the rain out. I even had a deer miss causing hangfire with a percussion rifle when I loaded it outside without firing a couple of caps first because we were too close to where we were hunting.
I will hunt, and have hunted, in a light rain with my flintlocks. The guns have never failed to fire; and one one of those drizzly days I did take a deer. I use a greased lock cover, and carry the arm with the covered lock under my armpit, under my capot, with the barrel always sloping down. I also change the priming at least every hour. And I often seek the cover of a nice big tree.

When it's raining more steadily, I do what I imagine my ancestors would have done. Stay in, stay dry, and don't risk illness.

I wouldn't participate in a shoot in the rain. The more you expose your gun to it, the more chance you have of problems. And just standing around in the rain has never appealed to me... no matter what I'm doing.
Thanks for the reply, fellas. Appreciate it.

Historically, most battles were "postponed to better conditions" if the weather was awful. I do not go out hunting with a flintlock if it is raining. I will stay out hunting if it starts to rain later. But usually that means I am hunkered down under a hemlock waiting for Mr. Buck to come to me. Cow's knee, muzzle down, kept under the cape of my coat, and check the prime regularly.

I have shot in sunny July weather that was so humid that the pan would go to soup, with no rain in sight.

ADK Bigfoot

You have a history of being a rude, miserable jerk even to new members that asks for help. People come here for help, not to be offended.

Most of us have our opinions and may disagree in a debate, but when someone asks a question there’s no excuse for being rude.

You do this forum no service by conducting yourself in such a manner.

Perhaps the best way to deal with a "miserable jerk" is to block him/her, as I have done for this individual. If we all do it, perhaps he will go away. Jerks hate to be ignored.

ADK Bigfoot

I have used flintlocks for hunting in rain or shine for years because I like what I perceive to be the added challenge. Most of the time I'm a still hunter, sitting in one place on stand for hours at a time. I usually lay my rifle or fusil across my lap and cover the lock with my coat tail. If I choose to be up and moving, I tend to keep the muzzle pointed down and the lock tucked up under my arm if it is drizzling rain. I also use a "cow's knee"/lock cover when I think it necessary. In damp/wet weather I change out the priming often and wipe the frizzen dry. But I have left my gun with a charge in the barrel for several days during bad weather and still had it go off after I put in fresh priming.
However, I have also had misfires and hangfires because of the wet. All part of the game. ():>)

Are flintlocks reliable when it’s raining?
Just to nail it down, even with a good cows knee, it’s the humidity that kills the prime. Especially if using 4F. If you have to hunt in the rain use 3F or 2F prime and change it as often as possible if the rain lets up.

Back