• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sitting Fox kit guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saber

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking around for some kits and was wondering if anyone here can tell me about sitting fox kits how are they good and bad points thanks for any help

I am building a kid's rifle right now with parts I purchased from Sitting Fox (with the exception of the barrel). At the same time, I am building another rifle with a kit from Track of the Wolf. There is a definite difference in the quality of the parts, but there is also a price difference.

The TOTW kit had a brass cast sideplate, whereas the SF kit has a stamped piece that is thinner. The TOTW thimbles had mouldings and were soldered at the tab, ready to inlet. The SF kit's thimbles were unsoldered, formed sheet brass without mouldings. These differences will not make much difference in the finished product, but will require a bit of extra work.

However, the stock I got from SF has big streaks of greenish grey heartwood in it :( and the ramrod hole is not drilled, but rather routed down from the barrel channel. This takes away a lot of wood that would otherwise strengthen this area. I also bought new screws for the kit, as it came with a wood screw for the tang rather than a bolt to engage the trigger plate and I disliked the other screws in the kit in general.

However, the SF kit had the lock and barrel pre-inlet and the stock had even been cut the trigger pull I specified with the buttplate mostly inlet. The triggerguard and buttplate were of great quality, as was the small Siler lock in the kit.

Overall, I was not terribly dissatisfied, as the kit was very inexpensive! Just know that saving money may mean cutting a few corners.

im waiting for mine to arrive seems some of there kits are made up from parts variouse sources
or so i been told
the kit i ordered from SF can be had at TOTW or so they appear the same
will post thought once its here

I built a youth flintlock rifle for my son a few years back. The stock is plain maple, the lock is a Chamber's Queen Anne pistol lock, the barrel is a 33" CVA .45 that Ray turned octagon to round. The brass fits the previous descriptions.

The kit went together pretty well for my second build. As would be expected I had to work the rear of the barrel channel for the tang and end of the barrel. I chose to do all the other inleting on my own.

The barrel came with the underlugs and the front sight soldered on. I did have to do a little extra work with the CVA breech configuration to get a good seal between the pan and the barrel. Other than that the project went together like you might expect a persons second rifle to.

It's a good rifle for the price and my son has won a few prizes with it.

If you look at Ray's order form you will see that he sells components from all the usual suppliers. And he can provide all qualities of wood.

He also knows how to work a kit together that will save a guy some money but turn out a good ML. You can choose how you want to go. :thumbsup:

Salt

got my kit from SF and it came pretty fast compared to other sources ray seems very helpful if you need some advice
orm my first true kit biuld will see how she goes

It may depend on which kit you get from Sitting Fox.(?) I have built 8 rifles from various suppliers such as Dunlap, Jim Chambers, and TOTW. I decided on a flint pistol for my next project and bought a SF French Type D pistol. The components in the kit are top-notch, good quality castings, and I am impressed with the quality of the walnut stock.

I will order from SF again, but obviously need to ask a bunch of questions prior to placing an order...

Dave W

buzz said:
got my kit from SF and it came pretty fast compared to other sources ray seems very helpful if you need some advice
orm my first true kit biuld will see how she goes

I have the same impression about Ray. He'll do what he can to meet the customers needs. :thumbsup:

Stay focused on that project and you should be fine. Keep us posted.

Salt

Latest posts

Back