• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

skin a deer, under 3 min's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to try something new this year on elk. It's getting harder and harder for me to haul out the meat. Old age sucks!
I've been using the no gut method for quite a while now, but i'm going to take it a step further and bone the meat in the field. That way i'm only taking out what i'll be eating.

The DOW here has a CD they sell on how to do it the best way. I'm going to send for it to see if it's something I want to do. I already like the idea of it.

Elk bones are heavy. :wink:

Yeah, the elk meat is heavy enough. The last elk we shot produced almost 500lb's of meat. We have been eating elk 2-3 times a week since last season and still have 200#'s.

I assume that you use a horse or two to take out the meat, and hide, and antlers, no?

Even boned, its not beyond reasonable expectations to have more than 500 lbs. of meat, with the hide weighing another 100 lbs.

When I bone my deer at home, I first cut away the Sirloins, on the back along the spine, as one long muscle on each side.Those loins are rolled up and placed in their own container for "aging", in my refrigerator.

Then I separate the hind "quarters", so that I can remove the large muscles that form Rump Roasts, and steaks( I could save the large rear leg bones for soup stock, but I am not a huge fan of soups).

Now, I have access to the inner side of the carcass, and I remove the Tenderloins, each as a longer muscle, from both sides of the spine. I run my knife down the ribs, both sides, to produce a long strip of rib meat, and cut it loose at the vertebrae.

The forelegs are separated from the upper ribcage, and I begin simply cutting the meat from the bones. There are far fewer large muscles in the forelegs, but lots of sinew, and tendons I can't eat. I usually chunk cut those muscles into cubes, and bag them to use for chili or stew, or Stroganoff. By working with those small muscles in the forelegs, to make smaller chunks, I am able to cut away a lot of the connecting( white) tissues, and scrap them.

I then cut away the flank meat on the neck, and work as much of the scraps off the neck and vertebrae to give me the makings for ground something. Any connecting tissue I can cut away gets left in the garbage with the bones.

I do save the liver, the heart, and the tongue. The rest of the carcass is garbage, altho I keep trying to expand my knowledge about cooking other organs of the animals so that I make even greater use of the meat, and leave much less for the coyotes and vultures. I do save the hides, and have them tanned- some with the fur on to use in camp as throws, and others tanned for clothing.

Cheesecloth, bought in your auto supply department of your favorite discount house( sold for waxing car finishes) is cheap, comes in 7 yard packages, and made into a cylinder, like ladies nylon stockings. You can cut it to pieces to cover buckets, or simply cover the carcass( in parts) and tie the ends. It keeps the dirt away from the meat, preventing bacterial transfer, and spoilage. Plastic garbage bags, and plastic buckets today are very light weight containers for transporting from a camp site, to the kill site, and back again. The large, 5 gal. buckets can hold a lot of meat, and, lined with a plastic bag liner, can keep the meat clean for packing.

You can put the buckets full of meat into the shallows of any mountain stream to cool the meat down. Just leave the top off, to let the heat out, and cover the top temporarily with cheesecloth, or a T-shirt, to keep the blow-flies and no-see-ums, out, if the day is warm enough for them to be a problem.

If its really hot, you can put a cup of water( not any more because that water also weighs a lot!) inside the bucket, between the wall of the plastic bucket, and the plastic liner holding the meat.

Water transfers heat much faster than air. Since the lid on these buckets is only there to keep the flies out, you can poke a few small holes into the lids, to let the heat out, and simply cover the liner and meat inside with that cheesecloth, in case a bug does manage to get inside.I put the cheesecloth inside the plastic bag/liner, and then fold over the plastic bag or top to help seal out the critters.

Obviously, if you have access to ice, or even old snow in a bank at the higher altitudes, use it to cool down the meat to below 40 degrees. Your refrigerator is kept at 38 degrees, because that temperature is where the water molecule is the most dense. Hotter or colder than 38 degrees, and the water molecule expands. Bacteria cannot grow or multiply at that temperature very well.

While don't keep bones from whitetails to make various equipment, including knife handles, or spindle holders, The bones on Elk are larger, and more dense, and might be worth keeping. The sinew on any deer family member can be kept to make into sewing thread later. People often keep more of the organs than i have mentioned here, the feet, and even the brains of a deer or Elk to eat, or use for tanning purposes. Just plan ahead as to what you intend to keep, and what you will leave behind. You won't have a scale out there with you to know exactly the weight of everything you are packing out. Take care of your own back, and the horses you use to pack all this out.

If you hire an Outfitter, or guide, discuss your plans with him long before the season, so that you work with him, and not against him. Some guides don't want the animals field dressed, or processed at the kill site. :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

I hunt alone Paul. No outfitters ever, and no horses/mules. I have no use for anything but the meat. I leave the rest for the critters.

Up until now i've used the gutless method as I said. I'd skin one side, cut off the front and rear quarter and bag them. Then cut off the backstrap and tenderloin. Flop it over and repeat the other side. It's worked good for years.

The new DOW method goes further. I only saw a small preview of the video, but it looks like it's skinned like I do now, but the quarters aren't even removed. The meat is cut from them still attached (boned). Then backstrap like I do now and tenderloins. neck meat etc. Turn over and repeat.

I'll be carrying out no bones at all. Just the meat i'll be cutting up and packaging for the freezer. I really like the idea.

I didn't think you could get the tenderloins without gutting. Do you cut the side somewhere and reach in there? Seems like you'd be groping in the dark. Bill

Sometimes I can rip them out, but most of the time I reach in with a small knife to free them up.

I use the no gut method on deer sometimes, when I do, I don't fool with the tenderloins just the shoulders, hams, and backstraps leave the rest for the critters. On our little whitetails the tenderloins are really not very big anyway,about 2 biscuits worth, although they are melt in your mouth delicious. Chris

We can't do that here. 4 quarters, backstraps, and tenderloins are the minimum we have to take here. Big fine if we don't.

I ask because I always pull them out from inside of the abdominal cavity, after gutting. I didn't know what it would take to get at them from the outside, unless I'm just confused about what tenderloins are. :idunno: :rotf: Bill

Let me see if I can find a video of it being done. It's not that hard, and a lot easier and cleaner than gutting.

snowdragon said:
I ask because I always pull them out from inside of the abdominal cavity, after gutting. I didn't know what it would take to get at them from the outside, unless I'm just confused about what tenderloins are. :idunno: :rotf: Bill

Ok Bill. I found this video. It's a very short video without going into too much detail, but it will give you an idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E4PCzDRkUA&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the video, Pete. Interesting. But, it still looks like a lot more work than just opening the gut, and spilling the contents out to one side. Gutting Makes a lot lighter( about 1/3 of the total weight of the carcass) remaining carcass to move around as you bone out the rest of the meat. Its also the only way I know to gain ready access to the liver and heart, which make great camp eating after all that work. The Fresher liver is when cooked, the sweeter it is.

Cut steaks at least 1/2 " thick, dress them with flour, and seasoning and drop them into hot grease in a skillet, to seal the surfaces and keep the juices inside. I take White Onions, and bacon with me on these hunts, if away from home, just to have a feast on Liver, onions and bacon. The liver is as tender and sweet as Prime Rib roast, and can be cut with the side of a fork. Its a fine meal alone, but dressed with onions and bacon, you just don't eat any better!

The liver on an Elk can feed 4 men several meals, but it should all be cooked at the first setting. Left overs remain sweet, as the enzymes that burn up the sugars in fresh liver are destroyed by heat. If left alone, Those enzymes in the liver will continue to burn up the sugars and leave the bitter taste so familiar to all of us who have been served thin sliced liver in school cafeterias- think of what burned Cinnamon Raisin toast tastes like, and now you know why you never liked that School cafeteria LIVER.

Now you know one of the best kept secrets about liver. I would not lie to you.

I was taught this lesson, BTW, by an older gentleman whose deer camp was right next to where I parked my car one deer season. They showed up one day when I was scouting before the season, and set up next to my car- not the other way around.

His grandson took a deer within minutes of the season opening, and when I returned to camp at noon to eat some lunch, he invited me over to share his fried liver. I was going to go back to my car to get my sharp knife out of my daypack, when he told me it was not necessary- just use the side of your fork. I did, and it worked, Then I tasted this HUGE stead of liver he put on a PLATTER- not a plate-- for me, smothered in onions and bacon. Wow!

The Gentleman worked in a meat packing plant during WWII and until after the Korean War ended, and the plant closed. What I have told you here is what he explained to me, and, as the saying goes, the Proof is in the Eating. I have since served fresh liver to friends, and at one point we had a group of about 20 people whose only common interest was eating fresh liver. They included the Mayor and his wife, and professors at the university, most of whom never hunted, or owned a gun, and a few who were opposed to hunting.

Never been a fan of liver Paul. So, gutting the animal offers me no gain in meat.

Wait until I get the boning CD from the DOW. I think it might be even easier than the plain gutless method.

It should also make butchering the meat when I get home faster too. It might be possible to shoot an elk in the morning, and have it all packaged in the freezer by the end of the day.

I'm sure my lower back will be happier too.

That certainly ain't his first Goat Rodeo. The guy is a pro, I cannot even come close to that speed. The skilled use of the knife and the saw are well practiced. What do you think, how much more time to cut the carcass and then packaging the meat for the freezer? With this guy I would suspect 15 minutes total time. "Doc"

Thanks Capper. After seeing that video, I still think I would hack up those tenderloins all to pieces, or my left hand with my own knife. :rotf: It would sure help if I could watch, and help, someone else do it first.

As far as boning out, if you could get the carcass taken apart as far as the guy in the video, boning out would be easy. I've actually done that "way out there" before, just didn't do the no gut thing. It's mostly a matter of feeling for the separations between the muscles, and then cutting out each muscle. Towards the end of a big muscle, there's all that tendon material, so you just need to cut the muscle off before it turns white. In the field, I find the biggest problem is keeping the meat clean and hair free, that long elk hair wants to stick to everything. Thanks again for the video. Bill

Yes, how do you get tenderloins out without
gutting. I like them better than a steak
from Mortons.

Latest posts

Back