• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

skin a deer, under 3 min's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the link at the end of my video and watched it.
For some reason he makes it look harder than it is, and leaves way too much fat on the meat. I think he needs a sharper knife? :idunno:

Those were real good videos, both part 1 & 2!! I have never killed an elk, but have enjoyed the meat. Is the fat trimmed and discarded, kept for rendering, etc., like with a whitetail, or is it more like moose fat, which, to me is tasty.
Robby

We always cut out the fat and gave it to the woodpeckers. It would be good to use for pemmican.
I agree with rubincam, that's why we always packed it out quarter by quarter. Lots of meat wasted. The guy that packed out the head and hide packed out the most.

I don't see how deboning in the field leaves too much meat on the bone. How is it different than doing it at home?

Of course you won't answer me, but maybe someone can speak for him. :shake:

Pete. I agree with your. I don't know quite what point Mike is trying to make. I know that if you can remove the meat from a side of chicken, you can do a fair job at boning out meat from any member of the deer family.

The hardest job I have ever been asked to do was skinning a frozen Beaver Carcass. It had been hung over night, but the meat was still frozen solid. We did get the hide off, in good shape, but we used all my razor sharp skinning knives, and two others owned by the guys working with me.

If i were asked to bone out a frozen elk carcass, I would switch to using my axe- not any knife I own.

paulvallandigham said:
Pete. I agree with your. I don't know quite what point Mike is trying to make. I know that if you can remove the meat from a side of chicken, you can do a fair job at boning out meat from any member of the deer family.

The hardest job I have ever been asked to do was skinning a frozen Beaver Carcass. It had been hung over night, but the meat was still frozen solid. We did get the hide off, in good shape, but we used all my razor sharp skinning knives, and two others owned by the guys working with me.

If i were asked to bone out a frozen elk carcass, I would switch to using my axe- not any knife I own.

That's why I like to get the skin off right away Paul. It comes off like it has a zipper if you do it right on the spot. No hair or dirt. Just fresh clean meat. Mmmmmm that's good.

Latest posts

Back