• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skunked on squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My intention of killing a few squirrels this morning with the NSW early English trade gun was for naught.
The conditions were perfect. The temperature was cool, and there was near zero wind. Unfortunately, there was also near zero squirrels. I only saw one at a distance and he was in a hurry to get somewhere else. The whole time I was in the woods I didn’t hear any shots, distant or otherwise, so apparently no one else was having much luck either.
It wasn’t a wasted morning though.
A little before seven I watched a doe feeding in an open field a little over 100 yards away. She suddenly lifted her head, did a 180, and started trotting away at a right angle to my position. As she did I saw two more does that had been obscured by foliage near me. There is a complex of farm buildings nearby and I thought she had been spooked by some noise there. Wrong. Shortly after she took off, the biggest coyote I think I have ever seen came into view where the doe had been. It was one of the rare times I’ve wished I had scoped center-fire instead of a muzzleloader.
It was also a great morning for bird watching.
I think it is all the things you see as the woods comes to life that makes me enjoy squirrel hunting so much. You get some of that deer hunting as well, but by then it is so &^$#@*& COLD.
Finally, my beagle got his first taste of hunting. He’s done well on hikes and backpacking trips, but this was the first time he has had to put up with me just sitting in one spot for extended periods of time. He pretty much stopped when I stopped and sat when I sat. Considering that his “training” has mostly consisted of being treated as a spoiled house dog, I am really proud of him.

I realize as I mature, that there is no wasted time in the woods anymore. I always seem to take something with me mentally even with a very short time in the woods.

Now there is something my beagle won't do in the woods, is sit still. When we are out, her feet and nose never stop, unless she knows I'm having a snack, she doesn't miss many sammich breaks. :grin:

So you didn't have stew, glad you enjoyed your morning. :wink:

I envy you guys that live where squirrel season is already open. Ours don`t start till the 15th of next month :(
I`m gettin the itch to hunt big time. Just this morning took my squirrel rifle down and gave her a once over.
It got down to 49 here last night and is going to be cool again tonight. Kinda feels like fall. Just came in from sittin outside by the fire with the neighbors having some brews and cooking up some char cloth. Did I mention I`m itchin to go hunting :grin:
There`s just something special about cool nights, a good fire with good people, and hunting season.

The local squirl population in the neighborhood have been decimated by the most fiendish and diabolical monster. My pussy cat Mozenwrath.
He actually catches them and eats them. In my garage or in the mud hallway leading to my front door it is not an uncomon sight to find a few pieces of meat and a squirl tail, often surrounded by various feathers and signs of murdered chipmunks.

The squirl killings started last year when we tried to put him on a diet. Shortly after we started to skimp on his rations we started finding dead critters in the garage. I finaly gave up and took him off the diet. He slowed down on the squirl murders but he seems to have a taste for them. If he see's one he will stalk it for hours and most likely the squirl is dead meat.

If I were to decide to try my hand at squirl hunting I would have to go out beyond Mozenwraths territory to have any luck. When we first moved here they were everywhere, chatering and barking at us as we went about our daily buisness in the garden and yard. Now there are only a few that brave the imediate property.

Cynthialee,
I wish my cats were as industrious as yours. Mine will look but wont even get up to try anything. Now my dogs have a taste for squirrel, and will come get me anytime they see one on the property, so I can shoot it and cook it up for the three of us (me and the two dogs). Ever seen a Bull Mastiff/Labrador mix that thinks he's a 135lb squirrel dog? And he's teaching the new pup to do the same. She's already developing a taste for the finer meats in life, and it helps that we have no closed season and no bag limit. Then again, there's only so much squirrel hunting I'm willing to do when it is 105+ outside.

Thats what I love about dogs, always eager to help out if they can figure a way how to do so.

I think the only thing funnier than a giant dog acting like a squirl dog would be to see a rat terrier or chihuahua trying to be a huntng dog.

My Chihuahua mix (half Chihuahua and half Courtney) follows my wife’s dog (looks like a beagle and dachshund mix) and tries to get the squirrels that are running on the power lines funny to watch.
I don’t think either of them would know what to do if a squirrel fell and they had a real chance the squirrel probably would win.

Randy,
I just killed two of them raiding my garden this morning. I'm sure there's more where they came from if you're ever down this way, but I'm trying to keep their numbers in check. Keep it up and you will get a mess of them, just dont give up and keep trying. We all get skunked sometimes. I'm to the point that I go out more for the peace and quiet and a sanity-check than the meat, so it doesn't bother me when I come home empty handed, as long as it doesn't happen every time. Besides, your gun needs to be taken on the occasional walk too...

Back