• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sling attachment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRJ

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been looking for a method of attaching a sling to my Lyman GPR for some time now. I have asked several times on this and other web sites and have never got an answer to my question.The other day I was at my M/L store and asked Bob about this problem and he said sure I have just the thing. Its an all steel swivel set with attachments that go around the ram rod thimbles and screw into the stock. It looks good and works great!!!!! Its made by GROVETEC Milwaukie Oregon and cost me $20.00. Some have asked me why I needed a sling. They must hunt in flatland. I don't, the country I hunt in often requires both hands, feet, and teeth to get around in it. It is not hc or pc but it does work!!!!! FRJ

My elk MLers which are Hawken type rifles have a front sling attachment of a triangular "loop" that is attached solely w/ a groove in the underrib and when at rest lays on the middle RR pipe so that it doesn't interfere w/ sliding the RR in. The end of the sling is doubled back and laced onto this triangular loop. The buttstock sling attachment is a stud w/ a transverse hole for a standard sling swivel and the stud is riveted to a 1/8" thick toe plate.....Fred
Fred

FRJ said:
ISome have asked me why I needed a sling. They must hunt in flatland. I don't, the country I hunt in often requires both hands, feet, and teeth to get around in it. It is not hc or pc but it does work!!!!! FRJ

Where I hunt a sling would constantly be catching on brush and saplings. I don't feature trying to climb a steep, overgrown bank or work through cover with 30" of longrifle sticking up above my shoulder or banging me in the back of the knees, or sling underarm with the barrel jabbing the bank or the soil as I duck to pass under low cover. :idunno:

Besides, when you sling a firearm you might as well hang a "Temporarily Out of Service" tag on it. ;-) Often I have two seconds to decide if a deer is legal and worthwhile. If you see them in the daylight during hunting season it's likely they're already spooked or just about to be. And when the first movement you spot is a buck turning it's head to look your way you don't want to start unlimbering your rifle then.

My first go-round with a GPR was to add the Uncle Mikes' clamp-on to the front ramrod pipe, then crossbreed a couple of slings to have a swivel at the front and a loop at the back (from a slip-on shotgun sling). Worked like a charm, and in fact the stud is still on that first GPR.

In recent years I've switched to one of these. No, you can't see the front sight to shoot with that front band over the barrel. But I use it only for carry due to brush tangling issues such as Stumpkiller describes. But it's so easy to slip on and off I keep it in my bag, and add it any time I need my hands briefly free for hill climbing, or for hikes in and out. It's a lifesaver when dragging a deer through nasty terrain.

BTW- Even with the sling swivel base still in place on that first GPR, I find myself ignoring it and just using the TOW slip-on. Note to self: Get rid of the sling stud.

We all hunt in different terrain. Where I hunt, in the coast range of Oregon and Washington and the Cascade mountains of these states it is very difficult to carry a rifle and get up and down steep banks and hills. I'm not hunting when I am doing these things, I'm trying to get from one place to another.If I'm hunting the rifle or bow is in my hands and I'm moving VERY slowly or not at all. FRJ

I'm pretty well acquainted with your type of terrain, having hunted the ranges in Northern CA and southern OR back in the early 1970's. And it sounds like we hunt much the same.

I'm betting that you'll really LIKE the slip on. Even with modern rifles I always unclipped the sling while actually hunting, so it was an easy transition to using the slip-on.

Been there! Hunted the Stott Mt and Alsea districts quite a lot in the late 90's early 2000's

I too used a sling whenever we transited for the very same reason.

Hi Adui, I hunted the Alsea unit back then also and the deer hunting was great!!!!Oregon's hunting has gone downhill along with Washingtons mostly I believe due to the poisoning of the few clearcuts there are and the great reduction in logging. Doubt it will ever be back in my lifetime. Good to hear from you. FRJ

I have a "Uncle Mike's" swivel set that replaces one ramrod thimble with a new one that includes a loop for a sling.

Slings are highly over rated for shooting.

Many people just can not get used to the idea of shooting a rifle without a sling. It is fun to watch new blackpowder shooters try and wrap the sling around their arms. These people just cant figure out how any one can hit a target without doing so.

Try going sans sling for a while and you may never go back.

Foster From Flint

I agree. Putting a sling on a longrifle, for instance, is like putting a roping saddle on a snake; wouldn't have one. I do have one on my smoothbore which is basically a musket and it works fine in THAT application.

Back