• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sling?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperbelly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone use a sling that ties on- no sling swivels?
The idea of carrying a heavy muzzleloader around on long walks seems uncomfortable, but slung on my shoulder shouldn't be too bad.
Do the tied-on slings affect accuracy at all? Not using the sling shooting, just for carry. On my AR15 I added a free-float tube to eliminate problems when I shoot using the sling, but I have no idea if the sling alone would affect anything.

Jim

I have carried a brain tanned deerskin sling for years. I tie it to the barrel at the front ramrod pipe and to the wrist oof the firearm. No effect on the accuracy as long as the tie is tight enough so that it doesn't hide the front sight.

I don't put mine on the rifle except when I'm covering distance and not hunting. It goes in the bag when I'm hunting. It sure as shooting goes on my rifle when it's time to drag out a deer!

Hi Jim,
I use a sling that attaches to my TC Hawkens without swivels. It self cinches on the barrel end and the butt end is like a pocket that is laced on. I made it myself and used the store bought kind as a pattern for it.
I've only been in m/ling for a year and a half, last year being my first year to hunt with it. I decided after last years hunt to have a sling. It doesn't seem to affect the accuracy at all but makes the long hike in and out a whole bunch more pleasurable.
Good luck, snagg

Snagg that sounds like the same style sling I use as long as the barrel loop doesnt block the sight picture I get along fine with it just have to remind myself to slide the loop back over the forend of the stock befor taking a shot to keep it out of the way

I made several of the lace boots and use the thimble that that has a screw on sling bracket. On others I use tie on ones, like Bobcat. Dilly

Go to Walmart. They have slings that are for shotguns, that go around the barrel and around the wrist. They work pretty good and are pretty cheap. I carry one, when I am hunting, so I have my hands free to drag the deer.

I have one on my rifle and also on my Trade gun. They tie around the ramrod pipe and to the front of the trigger guard. One is hand-woven with leather ends and ties, the other is leather/cloth with ties on the end. Neither seems to interfere with accuracy and the braintan ties snug down far enough not to interfere with sighting. On a long walk, they are truly handy, especially if you are dragging something.....

Here is two I made.. Very easy to make.....
I use cow hide....

458321.JPG

492687.jpg

I bought a lace up sling from October Country. It works very well. I use it over a slip on rubber recoil pad on a heavy 54 cal Leman Indian trade rifle with a small curved butt plate. The lace up part of the sling completely covers the slip on recoil pad and makes the rifle much more comfortable to shoot.

Joel Lehman, Austin TX

Wouldn't leave home without it. I've used a lace on sling from October Country for 15+ years now. I used to take it off while hunting but don't anymore. Gotten used to it I guess. It makes dragging a deer much easier being able to use both hands.

pepperbelly,
To be honest I have 5 M/L's but only a sling for one of them. A beloved .45 cal. Hawken..
snake-eyes

I have one for my Lyman Trade Rifle. It loops over the barrel and ramrod and then laces around the butt end of the stock. Nice wide strap makes it super easy to carry.

Back