• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Caliber Flintlock question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broknaero

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My next flintlock is going to be a small caliber squirrel rifle. .32 or .36 caliber. A light load with PRB will be my squirrel load. But if I wanted to try larger game like woodchucks or fox at 50 yards would the PRB still have enough energy or will the .32 or .36 cal maxi balls still shoot accuratly? Has anyone shot maxi's through the smaller calibers?

Thanks

I have a .32 but have only used PRB w/ squirrels and rabbits being the only thing I've hunted with it. At close range I feel it would work w/ PRB. 50 yrd may be a bit far. Did you cosider a .40? :hmm: That would work better on the larger game. Just be sure to head shoot the smaller game. :v Good luck on your decision. Basset

My wifes CVA .32 cal Squirrel rifle absolutely loves .32 Maxis. Shoots good with PRBs but is great with the little maxis.
Those wee little .32 maxis shure are cute but there are 2 problems with the maxis.
1)Getting them. buying them store bought is expensive. Finding a .32 maxi mold is a quest. They are kind of rare and cost plenty, seem to run about $90 to $100 bucks.
2) They shoot dirty. With PRBs you rarely have to swab the barrel maby every 10 shots when shooting paper targets, the patch does it for you. With the little maxis you have to swab every time between shots.

No problem with larger game at 50 yards. I used to have a .29 and it was a deadly varmint killer. PRB will kill with no problem.

I have a .32 Blue Ridge flinter and have killed a lot of groundhogs with it with RB and 20grs 3ff, no problem. Never shot a .32 max-ball. At 50yrds the only thing that would give you a problem is if it was real windy, mite drift. The longer barrel will give you a better sight plane then a short one. Dilly

broknaero said:
My next flintlock is going to be a small caliber squirrel rifle. .32 or .36 caliber. A light load with PRB will be my squirrel load. But if I wanted to try larger game like woodchucks or fox at 50 yards would the PRB still have enough energy or will the .32 or .36 cal maxi balls still shoot accuratly? Has anyone shot maxi's through the smaller calibers?

Thanks

A 32-36 will kill a fox as far as you can hit it and this will generally be determined by hold over. But shots over 100 are tough due to trajectory steepening past 75 yards.
You need to get away from energy as a measure of killing power. While used by many it does not have a valid application in BP arms either cartridge or MLing since it favors velocity.
The 32-36 with a decent charge of powder, 30-35 grains perhaps, they are like a 22 mag or such.
They lack the maximum range but they are not short on power to 50-75 yards for small game.
I once broke both front legs of a standing fox at 150 steps with a 36 flintlock. Hold over was wrong. This was pre-laser rangefinder.
Use the best accuracy load for squirrels. You will be doing head shots anyway unless you use a very light load. 15 grains in a 32 is nearly a squib though I used to kill rabbits at short range with that charge in percussion rifle.
The maxi ball may increase the range, if you can figure the trajectory, but it is unlikely to kill as well as a RB. Its a pretty poor hunting bullet and has its own set of problems aside from lack of expansion. The PRB is safer and as effective if not more so.

Dan

I love smallbores.The prb in .40,.36,.32 are very effective;I have seen no need to try the elongated slugs.The twist rate in the traditional rifles may be too slow to give good accuracy with anything other than the round ball.
Wayne

As others have said, the .32 is a good game getter. I tested a .315 ball powered by 20gr FFFg
by shooting it into three soft drink bottles filled with water. The first two bottles were 1 liter gator aid bottles, the last was a 2 liter soft drink bottle.

I mention the two different bottles,because the plastic is pretty thick on the Gator Aid bottles.

The ball penetrated the Gator aid bottles, blowing the back out of the first and splitting the second. The flattened ball dimpled the back of the two liter bottle, after penetrating both Gator aid bottles and the 4 inches, or so of water in the third bottle.

That is roughly 10 inches of penetration, with only a 20 gr load.

IMHO, that test suggests excellent performance on small game.

I have, blown the heads off of squirrels with 30 gr of powder and a PBR. I have also made body shots, that did not appreciably destroy any meat, with 15-20 gr of powder.

The beauty of hunting with a small cal ML rifle is that loads can be tailored to the immediate situation.

God bless,
J.D.

I have a .36 cal ball shooter. I love it, it does a nice job on squirrels. Also that kind of hunting gives an opportunity to shoot more often.

I took this raccoon at 50yds with a .36 PRB over 40gr of 3F. He died about 20 ft from where I shot him. So, you should be confident with your .32 or .36 at or under 50yds.

OldRaccoonRifle.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess a .32 it will be. 50 yards would b my max shot for chucks or fox. Squirrel will be closer, dont know if I can see the head of a squirrel at 50 yards. I'm not about killing a bunch of game. Just want to have an enjoyable/ challenging hunt. I think a small caliber flintlock will make a fun day out of shooting chucks. Or make 2 or 3 squirrel for dinner more fun. My usual squirrel rifle is a 5mm Rem. rim fire. 80 yard head shots aren't that difficult if you can catch them still and have a rest. I think a flintlock is the challenge I need.

By the way that is an awesome picture trench. I've been thinking of calling raccoon. Theres lots around, and my JS has a few coon sounds on it. Thanks for sharing that picture. Looks like a beautiful/ special stream you have there. Its been a long winter and its nice to see that kind of thing. Not that I'm suffering cabin fever but I miss the country. This is my first winter stuck in the city (because of work). Ive learned that city life makes it an even longer winter. Can't wait to get out.
Makes one appreciate hunting even more. I used to trap coon 15 or so years ago. I know how tenacious to life they can be. No wonder it went 20 yards after the hit. Any other animal would have just dropped. Good thing those coons dont get the size of bears!

I also have a cva squirrel rifle in .32 it is very accurate with prb or maxi's. I shot a dead cow in the chest years ago wih a maxi think it was about 35 or 40 yards. 1200 to 1300 lb cow. Passed through don't know if it hit any ribs or not. Did't cut on it just finished burying it. Larry Wv

Trench,,Nice photo. Kind of captures what small bore flints are all about. A grand adventure in a hardwood forest.

Pat Cameron

here are some pics of what a 32 PRB with 20 grains FFF will do to squirrels.
DSCF0312.jpg

35 yard chest shot....
DSCF0314.jpg

5 yard head shot...
DSCF0313.jpg

DSCF0287.jpg

40 yard neck shot....
DSCF0289.jpg

entrence hole....
DSCF0293.jpg

exit hole..
DSCF0290.jpg

enyow SS

:wink: A .32 with 12 to 30 grains of fffg Swiss powder gives a wide range of power and penetration performance that goes beyond the normal ft./lbs. of energy shown on some text book table. I have dispatched large feral dogs with this caliber and they did not run far at all :wink:! 12 grains of fffg Swiss gives a PRB just enough push to work very effectively on all small game to 25 yards or so. Accuracy with such a light load is good too. I always felt the .32 was more lethal than what it was given credit for its caliber. Good luck with your smallbore; they truely are the best :thumbsup: !!!

I agree. A .32 with 25 grains of 3F Swiss is on butt kickin load !! 25 grains of 3F REALLY makes that lil 32 clip right along ! :thumbsup:

Back