• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

small imperfections between buttplate and the stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spersky

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Everything fits perfect for the buttplate to the stock except about a 1/32 or 1/16 gap at a certain area. How do I fill it. Is wood filler good, or will is stain poorly.

thanks

I usually heat it a tad with a fine tipped torch & peen it in a little there where it needs it. Some hammer them on the stocks but the few times I did that it made things worse than they were, so I take them off & work them. Do Not hammer on them at the toe, that will be a disaster.... :shake:

Keith Lisle

I've peened them close while the buttplate is installed a couple of times, but success depends on where the gap is. If the gap is above the screw in the curve of the plate, you could gain a little by tapping it, as long as it's not a short, abrupt gap. The gap needs to be "flowing" in order to close it up well. Lots of short, light, fast taps with a small ball/peen hammer. If the gap is below that screw, do as Birddog suggested and bend it a little off the gun. If neither method fixes it to your satisfaction, some commercial putty, colored close to the predicted finish of the stock, will finish the job. Bill

When I get to that point, I just spend another 8+ hours removing wood until the gaps disappear and I get the butt plate to fit like it should.

I can afford to take the time because I'm not building the gun for someone else who might get annoyed at the delay. :)

I took the time and in letted some more. It fits really well :) the peen hammer is a great idea.

Birddog6 said:
I usually heat it a tad with a fine tipped torch & peen it in a little there where it needs it. Some hammer them on the stocks but the few times I did that it made things worse than they were, so I take them off & work them. Do Not hammer on them at the toe, that will be a disaster.... :shake:

Keith Lisle

Now if you can just come up with solutions for the imperfections "behind" the buttplate, a lot of us will be behold'in to ya

So the butt plate is not of perfectly. I did that part first with my new Chambers kit. The barrel was wrong so I had to send it back. The butt plate is the only thing I can do while waiting for the barrel.

Of the total build, how hard is the butt plate part of the total build. I am very impressed with the final results I got. Sure it took me about 10 hours which is kinda slow, but it a is perfect fit and polish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent 8-10 hours inleting butt plates. I use a small sharp carving gouge. The tiny wood chips look like they are cut off with a finger nail cutter. :grin:

The ramrod entry thimble is another part that takes me a lot of time.

Leo

Now if you can just come up with solutions for the imperfections "behind" the buttplate, a lot of us will be behold'in to ya

:idunno: So would my wife............ :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

It takes what it takes. I can usually do a Tenn or a Lancaster to a good fit in under 2 hrs. But I have to screw with it another 2 hours to satisfy me. :redface: :idunno: Seen the time it has taken me maybe 10 hrs. I don't actually time them as that would really piss me off ! :rotf: Some styles are just harder than others to fit, wood is dif, sometimes things just don't go right too. Inletting a buttplate is one job on building a rifle that I don't really like.

Hardest one for me to inlet is a Acanthus Leaf buttplate on a Jaeger. Not a straight place on the dang thing. You have to go in & down & in all at one time & you have to guess at one point........... I just did one & I could have done 3 Lancaster BP's in the time I did this one Jaeger. Yes, it fits pretty good, but it was one aggravating SOB. And I still have to cut out for the patchbox & fit a piece there, it is not over til it is over..... :idunno:

Keith Lisle

When fitting a BP, I don't tolerate 1/32"-1/16" or any noticeable gaps whether they be under the heel or shoe. Just inlet deeper. I use a sandpaper wheel in a Dremel to do the fitting behind the shoe and chisels and files below the heel. Have never pounded or peened a BP to conform....just went deeper. Establish a high personal standard and don't violate it....Fred

I have an oscillating drum sander that takes drums form 4” dia. down to ½” dia. and it seems to speed up the work. But I have only done three so there may be many other ways.

All of the suggestions as far as closing the gaps on your butt plate are spot on. In my opinion, most butt plates that are purchased are too thick. I have noticed that the plates are not as thick on the few old rifles that I have had the pleasure to look at. What I have done is dress the edges making them thinner. Not a knife edge but remove the metal to about 1/16 inch. I find that I can more easily peen the plate till it is perfect. Be careful around the toe as been said. I hope this all makes sence. Fit it as close as you can, anneal the brass, thin it out and gently peen. Not that hard.

Zonie,

Can you post the links to your other "building the b gun" installments? I've tried to use the search engine but could not find them. Your information on installing the butplate has really helped me getting mine to fit correctly. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Zonie. The pictures you've added have been extremely helpful :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Back