• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smooth bore elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For all of our elk hunters out there. I'm curious if a 60grn charge out of my short (26"barrel) 58cal smooth rifle will be enough steam for short range (50yds) elk. 60 grns with a .550 ball shoots about the best grooups for this gun. If it matters I can only shoot spikes in my hunt unit, No Big Bulls :(

60gr seems a bit lite for a .58; I use 85 in my .54. But if that's the charge that it groups the best with... And I see you're shooting a smoothy...

How fast is this load moving? I don't have my Lyman book in front of me to see what they list for velocities.

Can't advise you bein's how I don't shoot a smoothie. But the load does seem a little light. Elk are tough.

Yes I know elk are tough. I've taken them and have been present for other kills and if you dont hit them right they can and do go a LONG ways. My son will be toting my 54 lyman trade rifle and we hunt together so anything in that 50-100 yard range will be his. I've got a TC NewEnglander that had a rough barrel so I had it bored out to a smooth .58 but heavier powder charges are not quiet up to my standard as far as accuracy. 60 grns lays em right in there. I have a TVM E.Virginia in .58 cal on order but she wont be ready for this years hunting.

harleysboss said:
"...heavier powder charges are not quiet up to my standard as far as accuracy. 60 grns lays em right in there..."

Noticing the .550" ball in a .580" bore is undersized...wonder if a larger ball like a .562" and .018"-.020" patch would tighten up those groups better with 80-90grns 2F

harleysboss said:
For all of our elk hunters out there. I'm curious if a 60grn charge out of my short (26"barrel) 58cal smooth rifle will be enough steam for short range (50yds) elk. 60 grns with a .550 ball shoots about the best grooups for this gun. If it matters I can only shoot spikes in my hunt unit, No Big Bulls :(

That seems like a much too light charge for elk. You can't count on perfect placement on a hunt everytime. An elk is not a 'X' on a target. A slight loss of accuracy will not be a concern on the hunt. A wounded animal running off is a concern. Methinks a charge in the range of 100 to 120 gr. would be more appropriate.

The bore actually measures at .562. The .550 ball and .018 ticking patch loads very tight. Ed Rayle did the work and that was as far as he could go with this barrel. I stopped at 80grns during testing but maybe I'll go back and go up by 5grns into the 90's and see what I get. Or maybe my son can carry the pack and I" carry the 54cal:)

Here's my thoughts. Like others have said, that is a pretty light load for elk, not impossible, but a limiting factor. Since it's hard enough to draw out for elk, and then there's the luck factor in finding a legal animal, and then lucking out to get that perfect shot, why add another limiting factor, such as a lighter than optimum load? You've already choosen to use a smooth bore (and my hat's off to you for that), so you might want to compensate by adding as much power as possible, for the elk's sake, if for nothing else. Being a seasoned hunter, you already understand the importance of shot placement, so I suggest a little extra power could make up the difference for a less that perfect shot. This is also my philosophy for hunting elk with rifles, cuz no matter how disciplined a hunter you are, or how good your marksmenship skills, you just never know for sure where that ball will hit.

I think Roundball has some good advice. You might try upping the size of the ball, so you can increase the load and still get the groups you want.

Good luck with your hunt. Bill

harleysboss said:
The bore actually measures at .562. The .550 ball and .018 ticking patch loads very tight. Ed Rayle did the work and that was as far as he could go with this barrel. I stopped at 80grns during testing but maybe I'll go back and go up by 5grns into the 90's and see what I get. Or maybe my son can carry the pack and I" carry the 54cal:)

Have you considered a .562 ball, no patch, but use wadding instead? Might be interesting to try. There was a good article in the latest Muzzleloader mag on trade guns and the author was getting good accuracy with this method. Just a thought...

Went out to the range today for some more testing.Tried 90grns ffg oxyoke wonder wad .015 patch lubed with wonder lube 1000 and .550 ball. 50 yard target off the bench, 5 shot group was right at 5". My next outing will be with a .018 patch to tighten the fit a little more. I'm not overly impressed with the accuracy yet but still working towards it. 4 weeks till Elk Camp :)

Lite for me also. Even 70 grs would be a help. What size group with the 60 gr load? Larry Wv

harleysboss said:
Went out to the range today for some more testing.Tried 90grns ffg oxyoke wonder wad .015 patch lubed with wonder lube 1000 and .550 ball. 50 yard target off the bench, 5 shot group was right at 5". My next outing will be with a .018 patch to tighten the fit a little more. I'm not overly impressed with the accuracy yet but still working towards it. 4 weeks till Elk Camp :)

Have you tried an under and over wad, without any patching? Use a ball the size of your barrel, and wad over and under. the over wad holds the ball in. Some have surprisingly good luck doing this. About anything can be used for wadding.

I would not hunt elk yearlings, spikes or other wise with a smooth bore. An elk hit in the ribs can take one hell of a direct hit and run 20 miles before sun down. If you do you should use a very heavy load 0f 100 or 110 grs of powder and stay under 50 yards. A smooth gun can be chancy on shot placement. Shot placement is what its all about regardless of the weapon. :hmm:

Yes shot placement is most important and yes Elk are tough. Thats why I'm working towards the most accurate load. As stated above this is definately a short range gun..50-60yards. But I cant believe that a 90 grn charge and a .550 RB wont put and elk down in short order if shot in the heart/lung area. I never felt under gunned carrying my 50lb recurve and wood arrows. As far as shooting spikes goes thats what the state of Washington says I can hunt in my chosen game unit. I would love to hunt any one of the big bulls roaming around but no permit drawn for me this year.

Not sure - any elk I ever hit with a muzzleloader died within 5-75 yds of where it was hit. :idunno: :thumbsup:

I agree; i've killed 4 elk with flinters. 3 with a 54rifle and 1 with a 62 smoothbore, all loads were 90gr-3f charges. Farthest any ran was 80yds.

Back