• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smooth bore or rifled ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found out it's a 54 cal. Now you guys have me thinking twice about just getting a new one. I do appreciate all of the responses .
Thanks

This is a matter of personal taste but a Lyman Trade rifle is no where near comparable to a TC Hawken. They may shoot similar but that is where that ends. Of coarse this does not consider a poorly assembled kit gun of any kind.

But to be quite frank with you, you better find out exactly what it is you are buying. You have changed your story so many times, I am getting confounded.

It's just that I have discovered that it is a 54 cal and not a 50. Do the smaller bores shoot more accurately ?

LarryS said:
Just found out it's a 54 cal. Now you guys have me thinking twice about just getting a new one. I do appreciate all of the responses .
Thanks

Wasn't going to say it until someone else did, but a second to buying a new one. A 25 year old kit rifle the owner doesn't know much about could be perfectly fine, or not. No good starting your first BP experience sorting out problems that could have been created 25 years ago.

You have a good point there. Since I been looking at lots of different guns on this site and others, I'm thinking I might like to try a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. They look beautiful, and have gotten lots of good reviews.

The Lyman GPR was my starting purchase many years ago. A very solid and consistent rifle that is also reasonably close to historically correct if that helps :thumbsup:

I think you better get some facts straight before you do anything. You or he have been all over the map on this one. :surrender:

Yes it does help, that is just the kind of input I'm looking for because I don't know what's a nice gun and what isn't . Do you enjoy shooting flint or cap ?

I still have my LYGPR percussion but now shoot flint almost exclusively. I think the progression from cap to flint is pretty common. There are a couple more steps and acccessories needed, but flint definitely is a more satisfactory experience when it all comes together. Good luck in your choice!

Back