• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore sights?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a removable rear sight that I fashioned for my Tulle and it may work for others. I got a new tang screw (which on a Tulle holds the trigger on). I bought a serpant head rear rifle sight. You grind off and flat file the dovetail wedge so the bottom is flat and then drill a hole in the base of the box that's left so it can be attached by the tang screw; make sure the screws head will fit down flush on the base. It is attached with the serpants head going toward your shoulder. Then I take the smoothy to range and shoot to determine and find the horizontal center. I use a #2 sharp pencil to mark the top and shoot. I keep erasing and marking and shooting until I have the center. All shoots are on a line going up & down. Mark the tang under the nose of the Serpant so the sight can be removed and replaced to vitualy the same position. (I tapped a dot with a punch and scribed some decorative lines.) Then, go home and, this is important ....Clean the weapon FIRST THING (lol). Then remove the sight; cut your Y, V, or Groove or what your rear sight plate picture is. Then go to the range and shoot to get the vertical center (Filing down either front OR rear sight) and you should be set at zero or close. Go home. Repeat previous chore. Remove the sight blue, brown or finish as prefered. When not on the smoothy, it's in the pouch. :m2c:

Ok I hear ya...maybe I'm just nit-picking a bit too much. (acutally I went for a hike today and I'm tick-picking)

Well yeah, my Jaeger is a rifle I can throw up to my shoulder with my eyes closed, open them and everything is lined up...I imagine that when I get some more trigger-time with it she would keep them on a paper plate at 70 yards or more, without the rear sight.

However, I'm leaving that sight right in it's little ol' dovetail when I get it sighted in with the final load!!!

Well I'll agree with you, but will throw out the fact that not everyone has or can afford a perfect fitting smoothbore, and in that case, if not shooting in smoothbore matches, putting a rear sight on a musket or fowler is not a "bad" thing to do.

Rat

Latest posts

Back