• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

smoother bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dutch ,
Have bought your system and love it. Kinda feel like im speaking a god right now lol.
I am already shooting a .010 patch. Am thinking if I go much thinner the patch would tear..but I guess its worth a try at the least..

Try bare ball with the .570".. A stack of over shot cards under the ball and one on top. Or a ball of tissue paper, some lube to keep the foul soft some.
My .58's do quite well this way and I will use the dozen or so .570 balls I have left just so :hatsoff:

B.

Bryon,
I have been reading your posts and have thought that you should get my System although I thought you already had it.
Is your .010 patch measured with compressed method of some other?
If I remember correctly I think my patches compressed to .0065. so I wouldn't worry about tearing the material.
I was using denim. What are you using?
Rather than clutter up the forum with all this, contact me at [email protected].

Dutch

Byron - Dutch,
You might wish to keep the discussion public as it is both interesting and instructive to new smoothbore shooters... like yours truly.
JJ32

DEAR BAD SPELLER.

An early sign of losing it is thinking that Byron was talking about the condition of his rifling being rough.
I have had no personal experience with smoothbores but Duincan McReady of New Zealand wrote me that he though my patch selection method was even more effective with smoothbores than it is for rifles. Apparently Duncan had been doing some competitive shooting with Riflemen while using his smoothbore.

There was also a relatively large group of smoothbore folks who, with no knowledge of Dincan's comments, agreed with him.

Not my experience, just anecdotal comments.

Dutch I'll see if I can locate Duncan's Post to me and put it on this forum

Dutch

Here is Duncan's Smoothbore Post
None of this is from my experience but I do trust Duncan

Dutch

I've been shooting my .69 Pedersoli Charleville, known as Charlotte the harlot, using your methods. Dry lube, patch selection, ball seating, wiping techniques etc but without using a wad as I usually do, Shooting at the international target used in the world champs(off hand), and shot scores that would have got a medal at the last worlds.

I shot more 10Xs in one morning than I have ever shot altogether with this gun in 5 years. Not one was out of the 7 ring ,even the called flinches!

I ended up with the usual pesky bunch of ML shooters wanting to to see what I was doing. They can't figure out the dry lube on the patch cloth. There will be a lot of new ball seaters at our next shoot, they all saw your design and are going to copy it. I was going to sell this gun and buy a Bess, but not now.

More development work will follow.

(A paragraph relating to a rifle eliminated)

(Comparison to my System a Sliced bread eliminated here)

Now for the radical statement:

I believe that your system is more important to smooth bore accuracy than it is to rifles.

Smoothies are less accurate than rifles, no question there. So patch thickness, ball weight, lube, sprue, etc and using the cleanswipe (my word) system are actually of more benefit to a smoothie shooter than a rifleman, in the never ending search for accuracy.

Your system is living proof that accuracy is caused by consistency.

YMOS
Cutfinger (Duncan's Camp Name)

As I say I, have never fired a smoothbore.
But Bad Speller enquired

Dutch

Dutch,
Thanks for the forwarded post. Just acquired a good 28ga and did wonder if your system would work as well smooth as in my rifled guns. And thanks for your system I got earlier this year. Was truly sorry to hear of your eyes. I hope they are at least maintaining the status quo now. My hearing is going fast and would hate to loose sight above all else.

JJ32 (bad speller)

Eyes continue to decline.
I'm old enough to know that sort of thing is not unexpected.
Not happy just adjusted.

Let me know if you find any improvement with your smoothbore activities?

I worked with a guy with a completely worn out looking 3/4 size Pennsylvania style rifle with a greenish stock and got it one holing very quickly.
A week later he showed up with a smoothbore and asked me how to make that accurate. I told it was very simple - Get it rifled.
I heard him shooting it and I don't know if all smoothbores sound like that but his sounded like someone had fired a meatball out of a drain pipe. Not like the rifle sound at all.

Dutch

so heres round 2 of my home experiment ...went to Jo ann fabrics and bought the thinnest stuff i could find. when put into a mic as is it measured a shade under .010 said what the hell and bought 1/2 a yard. And she still shoots just as good as the thicker stuff. She is still a bit stout when loading tho...However I dont really see where it would be an issue. I dont plan on target shooting with it. Its just going to be a hunting gun so I guess I can live with it. Besides im worried a .56 cal ball wont shoot as well lol
temporary.jpg

Back