• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothin out da smoothbore ummm..... bore !! :D

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats great !!! Yer gettin such great performance from those short N.W. trade guns bud ! My 40" barrel doesnt do that good at that yardage unless I use shot cups ... Very cool Walt !! You da man ! :)
I can tighten my patterns up a little more by using a shot cup but I’m trying to keep as simple as I can .Next time out I’ll shot one load with a cup and one without so you can see the difference.

I can tighten my patterns up a little more by using a shot cup but I’m trying to keep as simple as I can .Next time out I’ll shot one load with a cup and one without so you can see the difference.
Yeah , just outta curiosity if you want .... Be interesting .

Did a couple CW smooth musket barrels. Had a 48" piece of 3/8" steel rod. Split one end , slid some coarse emory cloth in the slit , enough emory flaps to be a snug fit in the bore. For horse power , chucked up the rig into an old drill motor. Put some penetrating oil down the bore , and couple hours later , shootable bore. The Emory cloth gets changed when the bore is so muddy from rusty penetrating fluid . Just keep at it. I shot that musket the next day , then traded it for another to play with.

Hand done breeches ,no lathe ... Sorry no better pics , all that was on my phone
Thanks for the pics.
I have several 16 bore 28" bbls from Numrich with the flat step for dbl brl guns.
I'm thinking I can make a rear sight from part of that flat step. They didn't have breech plugs, so I'll get a couple from Track. I also have a couple 24 bore bbls.
Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the pics.
I have several 16 bore 28" bbls from Numrich with the flat step for dbl brl guns.
I'm thinking I can make a rear sight from part of that flat step. They didn't have breech plugs, so I'll get a couple from Track. I also have a couple 24 bore bbls.
Thanks for the tips.
Yeah , I just grind a flat on top , opposite of the big flat lug that is left on the he barrel, I make sure its straight down , then thread the breech and work on he plug till tang is straight up. After that I grind the rest of the flats

Yeah , I just grind a flat on top , opposite of the big flat lug that is left on the he barrel, I make sure its straight down , then thread the breech and work on he plug till tang is straight up. After that I grind the rest of the flats
Well I finally got to go and shoot both guns on Saturday,first thing I did was us my breach scraper then water .I was comparing the barrel Rob polished to the one I did and was very happy with the results.It took only six patches for each gun (12 in total ) to clean an dry and one more to wipe them with WD40 and oil them with motor oil .I guess the proof is in the pudding as they say .😉

I've polished the barrels on all my shotguns. Did it help them pattern better? Maybe. But it sure helped in the cleaning process. I don't have any smoothbore ML's, maybe some day. I have polished up the barrels of my rifles ML's and they load easier shot after shot and stay cleaner.

Okeydoke ... This thread is for that famous Canadian N.W. Trade gun maker Walt53 and anyone else wanting their smoothbore to clean and load easier . Gonna polish that nasty ole bore ! Sure makes everything better ! Loading and cleaning is so much smoother , easier and quicker with that shiney clean bore ! Picture is just of a " D@mn ole trade gun " I made about 7 years ago . ..cause posts without pics suck , LOL ..... Let's get started ...
That is a really fine looking gun!!!

Thanks ! Just a d@mn ole NW Trade Gun :)
Well I used a little squirt bottle today shooting and give er a squirt down the barrel every second shoot and only used 4 for patches to clean and dry and one with wd 40.Oh the bottle had windshield washer fluid and a couple drops of dawn soap.

Well I used a little squirt bottle today shooting and give er a squirt down the barrel every second shoot and only used 4 for patches to clean and dry and one with wd 40.Oh the bottle had windshield washer fluid and a couple drops of dawn soap.
Really ?! Thats cool ....

Looks like a very workable approach to me. I just use Flex-Hone's shotgun bore tool, comes in different bore sizes and 180, 400, and 800 grit. 400 is good for polishing, 800 for cleaning. Even the 180 didn't take off enough metal so that I could measure a change in the bore.

Latest posts

Back