• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snaphaunce lock repairs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm restoring/rebuilding a 18th/19th century Moroccan Afedali Snaphaunce musket to being an active shooter. After disassembling and thoroughly cleaning everything, I discovered a number of parts with cracks and others that could use additional material (see pics).

Everything but the stock and barrel bands are steel of unknown alloy(s). The frizzen is half-sole, and the face produces showers of sparks when barely touched by a Dremel grindstone, but the back does not.

I’m thinking that TIG or laser welding can be used to repair the frizzen and mainspring tip cracks, and add material where needed. I’ve come to understand that none of the existing parts were heat treated or tempered, as evidenced by the hefty mainspring and the wear on the dog.

With the above in mind:

What thoughts and suggestions for repairs do those with experience doing so have?​

Note: I am attempting to use as many original parts as possible. Unfortunately, it’s missing 2 of 3 screws to attach the lock to the stock, so I intend to have the lock plate holes filled, drilled, and re-tapped to accept AN23-25A undrilled clevis bolts with #10-32 threads

-Bob

Attachments

• IMG_3227.jpeg
    IMG_3227.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3336.jpeg
    IMG_3336.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3338.jpeg
    IMG_3338.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3340.jpeg