• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snapsack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really as I tend to carry the tumpline across my shoulders so the blanket-roll hangs just below my pack. It does occasionally try to slip off my shoulders and strangle me, but this only happens when I'm trying to wrangle my dog while carrying a full load and my gun....

Tried a haversack - did not like it at all. Carried like manure no matter how much I adjusted and was extremely uncomfortable.

Well, I sewed up a snapsack yesterday using some mid-weight linen and Barbour's 3-cord Irish linen thread. Glad I did, as I will make adjustments for the next one. I found the instructions as the 18cnewenglandlife site a bit fuzzy, but then I am not the brightest candle when it comes to sewing.

Here you go. I still haven't decided how I want the closure to work. The instructions say to punch 18 holes for a thong closure, but I'm not about to try to cut and then reinforce 18 holes. You can also see the attachment of the strap at the mouth of the sack is fiddly, again because I was unsure how the closure would work. I will use a length of heavy hemp twine for the thong.
The instructions at 18cnewenglandlife are to be trusted otherwise. I made the strap 30 inches long; the sack is made from the specified 24 X 36 piece of linen.

Personally, I'd install a leather strap with a buckle. Fabric straps tend to roll up and dig in like a narrow cord. You might also give some though to just tying a thong around the opening and calling it good (no holes).

Well this thread got more play than expected... Thanks for all the responses. Very educational.

Thanks for posting a picture of it with something in it and it being worn.....

The simple wrap around tie seems to work just fine......no need for 18 holes...
:thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Just a thought - if you move the upper strap attachment point down 5-6 inches then you could tie above the strap.

Just a thought - if you move the upper strap attachment point down 5-6 inches then you could tie above the strap.

On my rucksack, and on a snapsack I sewed for a friend, I used the tie as a cinch type, and made a tiny loop in the end of the strap, which a portion of the cinch passed through so that the weight of the items helped keep the bag closed.

LD

I too prefer leather straps to fabric for a lot of things like this.
A few months ago I got a very nice snapsack from Bethlehem Trading Post and requested the leather strap for the reasons you mentioned.
I also got them to make the snapsack from dark brown fabric since I dislike wearing anything white in the woods, whether I am hunting or not, as the color stands out and is too conspicuous for my taste except for those rare occasions it snows here in SW Missouri. It is almost as bad as orange in this respect.
Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet but plan to rectify that in the next few weeks.

I also have a grayish/brown linen snapsack with a leather strap from Bethlehem Trading Post that Vinnie made for me about 2-1/2 years ago. I find the leather strap more comfortable and white in the woods just screams "here I am". :wink:

Latest posts

Back