• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SO ? What is your personal AREA, ort AREAS or Interest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akapennypincher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
SO ? What is your personal AREA, or AREAS or Interest in Traditional Muzzleloading?

Thought this would be a fun question to explore.

Is your area of INTREATS

Gun building?

Primitive Crafts like Horn making, Possible Bag Building, Beading?

Competitive Target Shooting PAPER?

Competitive Target Shooting Primitive, like splitting a Ball on a Az Blade, Hawk & Knife, Destroy Metal animals?

Reenacting?

Historical Trekking?

Hunting with a Traditional Muzzleloader?

Living history?

or or or.

Me personally I am not into competitive shooting, and my enjoyment is from plinking with a Flinter.

PS I have been quit for a while, as this forum was getting a little boring.

Glad you asked.

I do Texas Rev reenacting when I can, otherwise I go to the local range about one or two Sat AMs a month and punch paper. I'm not at all good (accurate) but I have fun making smoke. Wish there was a local club to shoot with, but I know of NONE.

Okay, let's try this:
Thought this would be a fun question to explore.

Gun building? Did a kit rifle & pistol

Primitive Crafts like Horn making, Possible Bag Building, Beading? Did a horn, possible bag and am now working on inkle weaved straps.

Competitive Target Shooting PAPER? As a newbie, I am still shooting paper, but not competitive.

Competitive Target Shooting Primitive, like splitting a Ball on a Az Blade, Hawk & Knife, Destroy Metal animals? Not yet!

Reenacting? No and probably never will. If you are talking rondy's, I would like to try.

Historical Trekking? No, but might.

Hunting with a Traditional Muzzleloader? Not hunting.

Living history? Probably not.

or or or.

Me personally I am not into competitive shooting, and my enjoyment is from plinking with a Flinter.

Bottom line, I like to make things with my hands and that will probably dictate my activities.

:hatsoff: :hatsoff:

My areas of interest are varied. I like the technical aspect of them. Being heavily into gunsmithing, I enjoy building them and working on them, though I haven't had the chance to build anything other than factory kits yet.

As for shooting, I prefer to hunt with a muzzleloader because it's more challenging. No particular reason and I don't consider it a "sport" or "contest" or anything. I'm strictly a meat hunter, though in the case of feral hogs, I use them as "ballistic testing medium."

My main interest in shooting muzzleloaders is target shooting. I love plinking more than anything else, hence my nickname. I get a great sense of satisfaction from shooting for groups too. I've been involved in benchrest shooting for most of my life, and it's wonderful to be able to incorporate muzzleloaders into that.

I enjoy primitive crafts, but haven't had the time to delve very far into it. I want to get into horn making though. I'm just starting to learn wood carving and metal engraving. I used to do leatherwork as a kid. I hope those skills haven't gotten too rusty, as I'd like to be able to make some of my own bags, holsters, etc.

OK, I'll bite. Here's my go:

Gun building? Yup, I've built 8 rifles and 2 pistols, working on rifle #9 now- back action plains rilfe with figured cherry stock.

Primitive Crafts like Horn making, Possible Bag Building, Beading? Yup, I made up 10 horns that I traded for an awesome tailcoat for my 1800's trader persona. Now I'm working on some horns to trade for a barrel. Also made a few bags here and there.

Competitive Target Shooting PAPER? Nope, but it's something I'd like to get into a bit more.

Competitive Target Shooting Primitive, like splitting a Ball on a Az Blade, Hawk & Knife, Destroy Metal animals? Done a lot of that at various rendezvous and local BP shoots.

Reenacting? Working on that- I'm doing HB/NW/XY/AF (haven't decided yet) trader from around 1800-1820.

Historical Trekking? Yup, I try to get out twice a year- spring/fall.

Hunting with a Traditional Muzzleloader? Definitely!

Living history? Not yet, maybe I'll work up to that in the future- interesting concept though.

What a very Large question you have there,
I hunt with M/L's
I shoot compeditive paper,
I shoot fun/primitve targets,
I make all of my accessories,and a couple of guns too.
I reennact the French and Indian war period.
I do period treking.
If its muzzleloading and historical I have probably done it. I have been at it since 1975.

I am in this(started out that way anyway) for the shooting, paper, novelty and hunting(deer, turkey, pheasant) and am gradually getting into the more historical side of the things. though I wont be a reenactor. I am working on a persona, like to hunt PC, I make most of my own clothing and accoutrements, and also my own arms. But bottom line is I like to shoot.

Gun building?
Yep, made several from parts kits quite a few years ago. I do enjoy repair and rebuilding locks.
Currently planning a scratch build of a 1800 period SW Va iron mounted rifle, based on an original.

Primitive Crafts like Horn making, Possible Bag Building, Beading?
Yep, Made several horns, adjustable powder measures, belt and folding knives, hunting pouches, haversacks, and nearly all of my clothing. I also do some blacksmithing. I'm not an accomplished smith, but I can make a lot of items.

Competitive Target Shooting PAPER?
Nope. I fired NRA highpower with the MO National Guard state team, and had my fill of serious competition.

Competitive Target Shooting Primitive, like splitting a Ball on a Az Blade, Hawk & Knife, Destroy Metal animals?
You betcha. I enjoy shooting primitive targets. They can be more challenging than paper. ML metallic silhouette is very challenging...and can be a very grueling match.

Reenacting?
Yep. I enjoy juried events, as well as rendezvous, though I haven't been out much in the last coupla years. I'm not much on battle reenactments, mostly because I don't like standing in line and taking orders from a self-proclaimed officer who knows less than I do.

Historical Trekking?
Yep, Had lots of good times on the trail, and a few bad ones. There were two treks our little group refers to as the miserable hot, and serious cold treks, and for good reason. I once wore out the soles of a pair of double sole shoepacks in the Linville Gorge of NC. Beautiful, rugged country, it is.

Hunting with a Traditional Muzzleloader?
Yep, but not seriously.
I mostly prefer to just wander around behind the little animals, taking a shot if a good one is offered.

Living history?
Not sure what your definition of living history is? In a sense, trekking, reenacting, and hunting in period gear are living history, as close as we can get. There have been a coupla times when we were so far back into the woods I almost felt that I was "there" in the 18th century. That's livin'.

Ok you asked so here it is:

gun building - yes

making horns possible bags and beading - yes

target shooting (paper) - yes I started out shooting competition (paper puncher)

target shooting primitive - yes

reenacting - yes - Rev war and ACW

historical trekking -no- by the time this got popular my health was not of a condition to continue reenacting or start trekking, I would love to if I could, maybe some day.

hunting - yes

living history - yes

This was a pleasant exercise for the mind and memory, brought back lots of pleasant memories.

I love to plink with my T/C's and do every chance I get. I hunt deer and Elk with ML's (still lookin for the first elk)
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

I am an aerospace engineer and I love history. I guess my engineering and history "likes" leads to an enjoyment of the history of technology. I enjoy collecting, studying and shooting older rifles. I also enjoy handloading and bullet casting. My initial interest in muzzle loading simply came about as something new to try in the shooting sports (again with the technology and history thing). It was muzzle loading that first got me into bullet casting and now I cast for several of my cartridge rifles as well :grin: I've never tried competitive shooting with the ML, but I have shot competitively with both centerfire rifle and pistol. I also hunt. The wife says I have too many hobbies -- what she doesn't understand is that they are really all the same hobby :haha:

Gun building? I have done it for about 30 years off and on. Love it.

Primitive Crafts like Horn making, Possible Bag Building, Beading? I do it also. I am building prizes for this year's shoot. I have three belt bags finished and one flint wallet - need to do two more. In previous years I have done Powder horns, Capotes and possible bags.

Competitive Target Shooting PAPER? Love it and do it all the time. From how I have been doing this year I need to get more practice in.

Competitive Target Shooting Primitive, like splitting a Ball on a Az Blade, Hawk & Knife, Destroy Metal animals? Ditto.

Reenacting? No it never appealed to me. I do like to wear funny clothes and have a lodge but putting on a persona for the tourists never did much for me.

Historical Trekking? Out here you need horses to do it properly. As I get older is seems an awful lot like work to me.

Hunting with a Traditional Muzzleloader? I don't do it as much as I used to but I have hunted everything from rabbits to elk with a muzzleloader. My .270 has had a thiry year rest since I started using muzzleloaders.

Living history? See reenacting.

hunting,love to squirrel hunt with my flinters.going in the morning matter of fact

For me it all boils down to being in the hills, and whatever makes that more enjoyable or interesting. Building, range shooting, history, all that is kind of in support of the hill time. The less likely something is to lead me into the woods or help me while I'm there, the less interest I have. The historical way of doing things is real interesting because I like the challenge of doing it the way our forefathers did it when the guns we treasure today were just another gun.

Take guns for example. Every single one I own has been used on a hunt and is available to do it again. Aint no such thing as a Safe Queen in my house. I've got some classic old stuff in my cartridge guns, but if I can't hunt with them or I'm afraid to hurt them in the hills cause I'll "ruin" their collector's value, out the door they go and good riddance.

For me collecting guns for the pride of ownership and not for using as they were intended is just the same as being a miser with money- having it just so you can strut your stuff and say you have it. What a waste of a good gun.

I enjoy, and therefore am most interested in, the guns themselves - shooting them, repairing/working on them, just holding and admiring them.

The other bits - target shooting, studying history, reenacting, etc. are all fun and interesting, but they're just side interests.

BTW, one you didn't mention is teaching. I get a lot of satisfaction teaching muzzleloading and muzzleloading weapons to both kids and adults.

Well, I started muzzleloading because centerfire rifles started to bore me, there was no challenge at all. - Centerfire rifles are fun and all, but they can be boring oh-so-fast .- I needed something more complex, with a modern rifle I put the rounds in the magazine, operate the bolt and I am able to shoot well below sub-moa all day long. For me its a bit too ''impersonal'', the firearm does not feel like it belongs to me; its hard to describe.
With muzzleloaders its all different, for good accuracy you have to cast your own bullets, you need to create yourself a good setup, you have to measure the powder carefully, you have to really understand what is going on when you operate a muzzleloader to get deccent performance.
If you mastered the and know the rifle it ''belongs'' to you, very different to modern firearms. ( I have 4 centerfire rifles by the way)
After some time history started to interest me too, and I am mainly interested in the beginning and the end of muzzleloading - matchlocks and civil war muskets. :thumbsup:

Long story short, I mainly shoot muzzleloders because of the challenge they offer, and the feeling after ''mastering'' your rifle, it almost feels like the rifle has a soul and belongs to the shooter.
A feeling I dont get with centerfire arms.

But I have to admit that after a long hard day of muzzleloading I grab my Savage 10FP LE .308 with 3-9x45 scope to blast 5 shots in one ragged hole at 100yds - at least 0.5moa . :grin:

Mmykeal,

Aint it so. I get as much pleasure doing the after shoot cleaning as I do the shoot. Just sit there holding the gun going....nifty.

James Taylor

Latest posts

Back