• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SO ? What is your personal AREA, ort AREAS or Interest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. I'm frequently asked if one has to completely disassemble a c&b revolver to clean it every time you shoot it. My answer, of course, is no. But in the back of my mind I'm screaming, "Why WOULDN'T you tear it all down?"

Moloch said it well, too, I really feel like I'm part of these things. I admire the way they're simply designed and built, but very complex in how they shoot. Neat stuff.

I've dabbled in a little of all that has been mentioned. Made a few horns and bags, put together a few kit guns been to a couple of vous. I punch paper mostly but I do enjoy challenging my self at the occasional shoot or primitive biathlon. I'm not out to see how many other guys I can beat,just to see if I can do better than I did the last time. Above all I like to collect and tinker. Love my cap and ball revolvers and my bp derringers. They are simple and strait forward tools in an ever incresingly more complex world. I like to hold and admire things that harken back to simpler times before global warming and terrorism and many other things that we need to worry about now. Who knows,they may even come in handy at some point.

Don

akapennypincher said:
SO ? What is your personal AREA, or AREAS or Interest in Traditional Muzzleloading?

Thought this would be a fun question to explore.

Is your area of INTREATS

Gun building?

Primitive Crafts like Horn making, Possible Bag Building, Beading?

Competitive Target Shooting PAPER?

Competitive Target Shooting Primitive, like splitting a Ball on a Az Blade, Hawk & Knife, Destroy Metal animals?

Reenacting?

Historical Trekking?

Hunting with a Traditional Muzzleloader?

Living history?

or or or.

Me personally I am not into competitive shooting, and my enjoyment is from plinking with a Flinter.

Havent done the Living history thing, then Im a bit ADD so my interests vary from time to time. Do kinda prefer the making of stuff overall with a secondary in the competition. On cold MT nights when the garage its a tad brisk then its off to read and ponder on what folks did back when.

Keep yer powder dry,

D.

Like many others, I've done some of most of the categories. I built a pistol from a kit and it's the most inaccurate thing I own. I made a couple of knife sheaths, shoot paper about once a month at club shoots, shoot woods walk about same number of times; do a little sort of trekking. graybeard

Primary interests are competitive long range target shooting with the .451 British match rifle (out to 1200 yards) and Enfield target shooting (out to 800 yards).

Also associated historical study including NRA(GB) matches at Wimbledon and International Series of long range matches at Creedmoor and Dollymount, match rifle development. I have had several articles published on the subject including a ten part series on Creedmoor.

David

Aseas of interest:

Building my first kit gun. Thoroughly enjoy it!

I build numerous horns and bags yearly. Have about 30 horns now, and 7 bags. Built a couple of knives.

No competitive shooting. Enough enjoyment just hitting the target.

No treking.

Primitive hunting definitely. Modern firearms are BORING!

I think longrifles are one beautiful piece of art. Yeah ART. Their fascinating. Starting to drool.

Studying fowling pieces of all styles and places but focus on the English pieces of the 1700-1750 time frame.
Study and make fowling/sporting accoutrements like game bags, pouches, horns, measures, flasks, etc,
I enjoy hunting on my own land with the muzzleloaders.
I have great appreciation of the early German guns but have not developed any great knowledge in the schools and makers as of yet.

Forum has over 5,000 Members. 50 Replies is too low, thanks to those who too the time to share their areas of interest. :hatsoff:

Plinking, target shooting, deer & groundhog hunting. Mrs Coot & I typically attend 10-12 events a year - 2 rondys & the rest living history. We are kind of into 18th c life in depth, foods & cooking, clothes and furnishings, music & dance. I am into woodwork & have made most of our wooden gear. On my "to make" list is a riding chair as Mrs C also drives horses.

So many hobbies, so little time.

Definately love the challenge of using ML for hunting. I enjoy plinking mostly on my own as I dont shoot with a ML group. However, I would be open to finding a group that would get together to shoot. That being said, I am not sure I would enjoy the living history aspect of creating a persona. I would like to get into some informal target shoots and maybe hit a Rendevez.

Not into re-enacting or living history, but enjoy visiting with the peop;e who do that. Sometimes visit the HC get togethers just to chat with those who do it. Non costumed are not usually allowed to shoot at those get togethers but that's ok with me.

My first love is hunting with the ml and have been doing it for about 34 years now. Also like paper shoots and trail walks.

Lately am getting more into building guns.

The most fun is working with my two daughter's kids getting them into the fun of shooting ml guns and hunting with me.

1.Making, and shooting primitive bows.

2.Shooting flintlocks!

3.Trekking

4.Trekking

5.Trekking

:thumbsup:

Is your area of INTREATS

Gun building?

I have made a couple of kits but did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would (kit quality issues). Making a quality primitive weapon from scratch or near scratch seems too much like a job for a true artisan to me.

Primitive Crafts like Horn making, Possible Bag Building, Beading?

This is something that I am drawn into more and more as time goes by. The initial motivation was the lack of availability or high prices associated with quality items that interested me. I have made a couple of eastern woodland Indian warrior pouches that incorporated beadwork and quite a bit of sewing. Thanks to T.C. Albert's book on hunting pouches and other "do it yourself" articles, I have discovered how easy and fun leatherwork can be and I am a regular at the local Tandy Leather store. So far I have built tomahawk and knife sheaths and a plains indian bow quiver. It is satisfying to see a nice piece of leatherwork in a magazine or on the Internet and then go make a reasonable copy of it rather then buying it.

Competitive Target Shooting PAPER?

Nope

Competitive Target Shooting Primitive, like splitting a Ball on a Az Blade, Hawk & Knife, Destroy Metal animals?

In the course of good fun, yes. Have not been to too many events though.

Reenacting?

I enjoy watching good reenacting. The large scale recreation of the battle of Lexington and Concord in 2000 was extremely well done with enough participants to make it look realistic. Other smaller scale reenactments tend to disappoint as the numbers are too few. actual participation in reenacting seems like too much commitment.

Historical Trekking?

Only in the informal sense. If hunting/camping/scouting with primitive ml and equipment can be considered trekking, then yes.Hunting in the same style as our ancestors and in the same places is something I enjoy.[ Having a persona and overemphasis on PC concerns do not interest me.

Hunting with a Traditional Muzzleloader?

Most definately

or or or

I came about traditional muzzleloading by way of hunting, and that is still my primary interest.

Traditional muzzleloading has also sparked my interest in history, and I've gotten a lot of enjoyment from that.

It seems like the longer I'm in it, the more I find that interests me...

Spot

I am afraid I am guilty of all of these at one time or another. I haven't built a kit of scratch gun for a couple of decades but I do my own horns and leather work. I don't like shoot paper much but I love the primitive shooting. I do belong to a good Southern Militia re enactment group ( 1780 ) Most of my historical intrests are of the American Revolution in the south 1780 - 1781.
I do enjoy a good dog & pony show. All of the deer
I have killed ( except one ) were shot with traditional flintlocks. In fact the only muzzle loaders I mess with are traditional flinters.
:thumbsup:

akapennypincher,

I love, not enjoy, love this sport. Kit building,Informal shooting, Treking,Hunting, Accessory making,fellowship with other shooters and teaching my sons and grandsons the sport.

Mainly punchin' paper and killin' metal critters.
I have built several Horns, made a pistol from scratch. and made most of my other stuff.
I don't hunt much

I go to about 3 rondies a year

go to a club shoot once a month

can't afford to get into reenacting

My primary interest with muzzleloaders is hunting. I really enjoy the feeling of persuing game the way that our forefathers had to do it. That said,the older I get the more interested I've become in history. Unfortunately, I don't normally have enough time to research history & learn enough. Maybe after retirement.

Latest posts

Back