• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SO ? What is your personal AREA, ort AREAS or Interest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the justification of hunting to get my first ML kit, but I really wanted to build my own rifle. I still like building and am working on a Southern Mtn. flint. Powderhorn making is my other love, I think I really have a calling for that...
Scott

I got into MLers to do Exhibition and Trick shooting. I also wanted to hunt deer with such a rifle, and eventually decided I wanted a BP shotgun for hunting rabbits and pheasants. I used to shoot a lot of club matches, mostly because the side matches involved trick shooting, and I was honing my skills on those for public demonstrations. ( You can read my article on Off-Hand and Trick Shooting under " Articles ", under the Member Resources section of the Index page to this forum.)

I have done rendezvous, and club demonstrations, and parades. I have not done a " Seneca Run" because my knee won't let me, but my club has a Hunter's Walk, which uses the same concept, but takes groups of shooters from station to station all at the same time , and we can walk( or limp! :rotf: ) as circumstances dictate.

Hunting. That's all, just hunting.
I have put together two rifle kits, and have built four rifles from scratch. Later this summer I plan to purchase the Issac Haines rifle kit from TOW.
I'm not the competitive type. Although I have competed in some shooting matches, did well in some, terrible in others, but the fact is that I just don't care about competition.
Hunting is what I do, however I must admit that I'm getting old and slowing down some now. I can't pack a deer on my back for miles over a mountain anymore. (Now, I have to make camp and eat it where it falls :grin: ) This year, 2008, will be my 50th hunting season. I started using a muzzleloader in the mid-1980's. I have a rifle and a smoothbore and I use them through all the open seasons, including the regular firearms seasons. I have not used a modern firearm in nearly 10 years.
I also make almost all of my own accoutrements.

build some

trek some

make most my stuff

shoot some

hunt lots

catch the odd renactment

good sport full of good people

Over the years all of the above except serious competition shooting,in more recent years sharing information and learning from others on these forums has been an added dimension to the sport.

Started out mostly hunting, tried building (really sucked at that), still hunting but have started going to rondies which in turn ended up researching (Currently researching the New Jersey Frontier Guard from the F&I war, grew up in that area and recognize alot of the places).

akapennypincher said:
SO ? What is your personal AREA, or AREAS or Interest in Traditional Muzzleloading?

Gun building? Just done a couple of kits......

Primitive Crafts like Horn making, Possible Bag Building, Beading? Made a few powder horns.......

Competitive Target Shooting PAPER? Oh yes......

Competitive Target Shooting Primitive, like splitting a Ball on a Az Blade, Hawk & Knife, Destroy Metal animals? Yeah done a few of these, still like to punch paper and plink........

Reenacting? No.....

Historical Trekking? No.......

Hunting with a Traditional Muzzleloader? Yes, deer with the flintlock & percussion, ringnecks & doves with the O/U blackpowder Beretta, rabbits with the .36 Pietta 1858 Remington.......

Living history? No.....

sixbull

Gun building? No, I have made a couple of rifle stocks for my bolt actions and have made several sets of pistol grips.

Primitive Crafts like Horn making, Possible Bag Building, Beading? Not since the cub scouts.

Competitive Target Shooting PAPER? Non competitive paper punching for fun and load work.

Competitive Target Shooting Primitive, like splitting a Ball on a Az Blade, Hawk & Knife, Destroy Metal animals? Do empty soda cans count?

Reenacting? No. I will visit others doing this though.

Historical Trekking? No, just regular woods walking.

Hunting with a Traditional Muzzleloader? Yes.

Living history? See re-enacting.

Back