• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So you think caps are expensive

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old army

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have to smile I’m afraid each time you guys complain about the cost of consumables. All of us in Aus wish we could be so lucky. A trip to pretty much the cheapest Gunshop in Brisbane today made my heart stop. Looks like my stash of caps will have to do for a while.
46484A57-0DF8-4D24-930D-099613BB75D7.jpeg

Last ones I saw here across the ditch from you were $37 for a tin of CCI #11`s. Apart from the fact I can`t find #11 caps I will stick to the Toy Caps for everything except Hunting, hell they seem to work as well and cost $2 for 72.

That would be about $15.00 US dollars. Still, unconscionable. Go flint!
I don`t know about Aussie but here in New Zealand we don`t have flint. last lot of flints I bought from TOTW were $50US freight for about 6 nipples and 12 flints. Have taken the Flint lock off my Kentucky and use percussion lock on it with Toy Caps now...... Also under our Government I have to get an approved import permit to bring them into the country. The price of that is rumoured to be going up to around $560 per permit. Doesn't matter if you're bringing in 100 rifles of 12 flints it will be the same. Pretty sad really.

It's just a different kind of the same insanity. I have thousands of dollars tied up in legal form preparations, permits, special storage, and tax stamps just to own a few gun mufflers that in many other countries are not only inexpensive and fully legal, but actually encouraged or even mandated in certain public hunting areas.

I have a friend in Christchurch who told me he can buy a disposable, 3D printed, plastic muffler with metal threaded section for his .22 LR rifle at the hardware store for the equivalent of under ten U.S. dollars. When it gets stopped up with lead and powder mung, he simply tosses it and buys another.

It's just a different kind of the same insanity. I have thousands of dollars tied up in legal form preparations, permits, special storage, and tax stamps just to own a few gun mufflers that in many other countries are not only inexpensive and fully legal, but actually encouraged or even mandated in certain public hunting areas.

I have a friend in Christchurch who told me he can buy a disposable, 3D printed, plastic muffler with metal threaded section for his .22 LR rifle at the hardware store for the equivalent of under ten U.S. dollars. When it gets stopped up with lead and powder mung, he simply tosses it and buys another.
It is probably a little off topic but yes we use & build Suppressors. You can stick them on anything including traditional muzzleloaders (see what I did there). If hunting on Organised Government cull`s you have to have one, its a health and safety issue to protect hearing loss. No licenses or permits required for suppressors. But import a few chips of rock for a primitive firearm and you have to jump through the hoops.
You mention Christchurch, since the mass shooting there things have become lets say restrictive. We now have to also register every firearm and major part with the government except original antique non cartridge firearms. Mind you we still had a mass shooting a few days back even after all Centrefire semi Automatic firearms have been banned and bought by the government supposedly. I guess another reason to enjoy black powder while we can.

I have to smile I’m afraid each time you guys complain about the cost of consumables. All of us in Aus wish we could be so lucky. A trip to pretty much the cheapest Gunshop in Brisbane today made my heart stop. Looks like my stash of caps will have to do for a while.View attachment 237988

A fellow SE Qld Aussie here, Cleavers aren't known for reasonable pricing.

In there last week, kept walking.
I don't know where you reside, I'm well out of Ipswich but do most of my shopping at the SSAA owned Queensland Shooters Supplies in West Ipswich, if you're an SSAA member they give a 10% discount, and their pricing is more than competitive.
I use to check into Rebel Gun Works but they've turned too pricey over the last 3 years or so. As an example a Ted Cash brand oval brass Capper priced at $75 a couple of weeks ago, I bought the same thing from Viceroy Books (they have some
Ml things) For $45.
PM me for a reliable and very affordable Black powder supplier, the good German Wano brand stuff imported in bulk. Legal to buy (Firearms license required) and located between Brissy and Toowoomba, worth the drive.

I don`t know about Aussie but here in New Zealand we don`t have flint. last lot of flints I bought from TOTW were $50US freight for about 6 nipples and 12 flints. Have taken the Flint lock off my Kentucky and use percussion lock on it with Toy Caps now...... Also under our Government I have to get an approved import permit to bring them into the country. The price of that is rumoured to be going up to around $560 per permit. Doesn't matter if you're bringing in 100 rifles of 12 flints it will be the same. Pretty sad really.
Nope, no restriction on importing Flints, someone's been waffling BS in your ear

Some may say "You need a new government"

Back