• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

souce for old shot out ML barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kobrakommander

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking about forging a smoking hawk and using a ML barrel for the blade and tobacco pipe end.
My question is where would I look for a source of ruined barrels to use? I have seen good barrels for sale online but I have yet to see anyone selling shot out worn barrels.

Octagon bar stock from your local metal supply shop or welder??????????
Easier and cheaper unless your dead set on having rifling in the pipe......Just a thought.

I know that John Donaldson makes his hawk's out of old original wrought iron gun barrels. Many years ago, I bought a half dozen old wrought barrels just before ole John showed up and wanted them for this use. I, on the other hand had in mind to stock them and put them back into use as they were made and designed for.

colorado clyde said:
Easier and cheaper unless your dead set on having rifling in the pipe......Just a thought.

Rifled pipes blow more accurate smoke rings but some people prefer smoothbores.

pondoro said:
colorado clyde said:

Rifled pipes blow more accurate smoke rings but some people prefer smoothbores.
lol..that's great

You don't have to patch the tobacco in a rifled pipe, do you?

How long were these pipes and what kind of bore is in the smoking tube?

I have read that there are a few original pipe tomahawks that were actually made from old spent gun barrels! So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Contact some of the gunsmiths that specialize in working on muzzleloaders. They probably have some old barrels lying around that they would be willing to part with.....for a price.

A barrel may be shot out, but it can be rejuvinated by any decent barrel maker. Just have the remaining rifling bored out. Vwola. a smoothbore. You just make your own wads and cards and figure out your load combos. Maybe double patch thickness for roundballs.

From what I have seen in Ebay you would be better off buying a brand new barrel. People are paying more for used shot out barrels on there than one would cost new. I remember buying a few pistol barrels from Gun Parts Corp a few years ago. These were cheap and they might still have a few.

you might want to contact Bobby Hoyt. if he can't help you, he might know who can.

good luck with your project - sounds like an interesting one!

Well, good news! A member here sold me a rusty barrel for a very good price, so it looks like I am in for a little smithing work in the near future. :grin:

Modern ML barrels (12l14,1137GQ) have lead in them for ease of turnin on a lathe.Use plenty of ventalation when forgin or forge outside.Curt

thanks, I will keep that in mind. I received a barrel last week and if it turns out well I will try another. I am right now finishing up an TOTW pipe hawk that I cast/inlayed pewter in the handle of.

Latest posts

Back