• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sour dough

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the specifics....
1 cup starter
3 cups flour I used white flour
1 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt, I think it needs more then this..

Mix together (it will be very sticky dough) cover and let set 12 to 18 hours... form ball, you will need to work a bit more flour into it probably, but no more then a 1/4 cup... put on well dusted (flour) dishcloth and cover let rise 2-3 hours...
20 minutes before you want to cook it heat your oven to 425 and place dutch oven in it to get hot.. after it reaches temp tip dough into pot and cover put in oven and cook 30 ish minutes.. take lid off and cook for another 10 or so minutes until done.... I dont think it would be hard to convert the cooking to a camp dutch... just keep it covered and finish it up.

Here is a recipe if you dont have a sourdough starter...
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt, I think it needs more then this

same directions as above... except it shouldnt take as long for the second raise (1 to 2 hours)... This bread is very chewy...
Ive never tried rye anything:>

easy enough to follow the recipe useing the sour starter - I'll up the salt a bit add a big pinch of sugar and pile coals on the D.O. lid.

Thanks cookie. Like most good bread recipes, it is simple.

You know, I never added salt to my starter. Do you add it when you feed it? I wonder if it makes a difference to the vigour?

I dont have any salt in my starter. When I am mixing up my bread dough I add it at that point. There seem to be a couple of schools of thought about that though... some recipes I have seen calls for the salt to be kneaded in the dough before the last rise...
I found a site where the person had done some expirementing with different things... salt being one of them...and while you could tell it did inhibit the growth some... I didnt seem enough to be a problem... One thing I am finding out, alot depends on how vigorous the actual starter your using is.... not all starters are alike... I always thought they were until just recently....

No, not all starters are alike, that's for sure. The new one I started is just starting to really come on. I have not made anything with it yet. I might put it outside with the lid off on one of the first nice days this spring. I am told that this helps to introduce the local airborne yeasts into it, and helps to make a more vigorous starter.

Actually one of my favourite sourdough starters came about because I had decided I wanted to make sourdough and my friend hadn't resuscitated his refrigerated starter yet and I happened to have a spare packer of Safbrew S-33 so I tossed that in some flour and water sadly I killed it and haven't had the time to go back by the homebrew shop to get more to try it again and have had to deal with the commercial stuff ever since it just isn't the same.

My favourite bread recipe:
However much starter I'd want to throw out
Some salt
However much flour it takes to make that a good dough.

Comes out quite tasty every time (not very consistent but very tasty).

Latest posts

Back