• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source for european walnut?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dulap gets his from stuff he cuts himself. Fred Miller used to accumulate it the same way.i recieved an awsome pice of it from The Rifle Shoppe when i did my M1743,lots of curl ,way too nice for a military gun.

Stophel said:
Randy Johnson said:
That might not be the case for much longer.
American Walnut is going the way of the American Chestnut and the American Elm.

Really???? Is there some kind of blight or disease or bug that's destroying the walnut trees??? That would be news to me.

Yep, Thousand Cankers Disease.
There is already a number of bans on transporting logs similar to what is being done with ash due to the Emerald Ash Borer.
A web search will bring up a lot of information. Here is just one of many links.
http://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/fhm/sp/tcd/tcd.shtml

That certainly would be news in these parts, the Arkansas and Missouri Ozarks. Walnut is so plentiful it is used for firewood. 11th commandment sin, IMHO, but that is the way it is.

Rifleman1776 said:

That certainly would be news in these parts, the Arkansas and Missouri Ozarks. Walnut is so plentiful it is used for firewood. 11th commandment sin, IMHO, but that is the way it is.

They burn it for firewood up here too. But I think you used to live in this general neck of the woods and you already know that.
The major problem with thousand cankers at present is west of the Mississippi. However, it has cropped up in at least two widely separated locations in the east as well. It is a very real threat that, for whatever reason, is not getting the coverage it should.
At one time, the American Chestnut made up one forth of the eastern forest. Now, about the only way to get chestnut lumber is from reclaimed beams. If you have room, I would be hoarding black walnut. In another twenty or thirty years it might be all but gone.

Hi, Jerry,

What do you have? (Don't know if sales on this forum violate their policy, but I'd be interested in knowing more.)

Thanks,

Hemo

That grade E looks very nice indeed, though F might do. Prices? I see they are in Germany and don't come right forward with their prices in euro's or dollars. I would expect they aren't too cheap.

Hemo

I went and checked out the piece I have and It is not long enough. It is only 34" long.

How about writing them an e-mail and ask for prices? This is not very highly rated wood, so it should not be too bad.
In all honesty, where is the problem in converting Dollars to Euros?
Current exchange rate: 1 Euro = 1.25 Dollars
Shipping will be about 45 Euros for up to 20#.
The Euro is as worthless a paper money as the US dollar is...

use the wood for the construction of plum trees. This wood contrasts beautifully with the brass and bone. :hatsoff:

In reply to my own earlier post which contained a disparaging comment about The Rifle Shoppe in Oklahoma, I have to retract my disparagement!
I just received my assembled wheel lock with spanner today, a good two to four weeks ahead of what they estimated! The lock is a massive hunk of steel (with a cast brass wheel cover), weighing a whopping 1.4 pounds by my scale! Appears to be very well built, though I can't comment on sparking power, since it was sent with an oversized flint in the jaws, rather than a pyrite. It obviously hadn't been spark-tested, since the big flint doesn't contact the wheel, and shouldn't be used on a wheellock anyway. So anyway, my apologies and thanks to The Rifle Shoppe! Now the search is on for pyrites!

Hemo

Hi, Raszpla,

I've admired your beautiful wheellocks online, and I only hope I can come close to your fine work with my project! Are you saying plum wood would be a good choice? I've never seen plum wood advertised, and I would think it would be harder to get than walnut!

Where do you get your pyrites?

Hemo

Plum is a good choice. I thought that the U.S. will not be a problem with the wood of plum.
Pyrite good quality. You can buy from me.
You demonstrate a photograph of its mechanism wheellock
show the interior and exterior,

Hi, Raszpla,

A search of the internet didn't show any plum wood blanks in the USA, although some lumber was available. I think I'd rather go with European walut, anyway.

I'm attaching some pictures of my new wheellock from The Rifle Shoppe. (I should probably be posting these under the "pre-flintlock" forum, but here they are anyway.) I think the jaws of the lock are located too far forward from the wheel. Do you think I should bend the jaws or the arm to align the pyrite better? Also, how can I get some pyrites from you, or another source?

Hemo
Wheellockfront.jpg
Wheelockrear.jpg
Wheelockfrontmag.jpg

Thanks for showing the photos, TRS does beautiful work and you did very well getting it early. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

Good luck on your stock, Dunlap would be my choice.

nice mechanism, but still requires effort.

xkn2xf.jpg

red and blue issue is an important issue.

Home compressed spring does not lock hitch?

on pyrite invite to a private e-mail

:hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back