• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern "Bear" Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished another rifle. This one I call a Southern "Bear" Rifle.
In the sunlight it looks like you can see down into the wood 1/2"

Attachments

• P1100480.JPG
    P1100480.JPG
    668.5 KB
  • P1100477.JPG
    P1100477.JPG
    661.3 KB
  • P1100482.JPG
    P1100482.JPG
    644.2 KB
  • P1100479.JPG
    P1100479.JPG
    667.7 KB
Of course, Crockett and Boone and Ned Roberts used dogs to tree the bear and shot it at close range just behind the ear with their 40 caliber rifles.
What's your point? Close range depends on how high the bear climbs up a tree. A hundred foot shot is better than 30 yards, and oaks around here average 150' ft or better. It has been said that a black bear can climb a tree 100' feet in 30 seconds or less. At close range, a .32 would do the same job if you can put a ball behind its ear.

What's your point? Close range depends on how high the bear climbs up a tree. A hundred foot shot is better than 30 yards, and oaks around here average 150' ft or better. It has been said that a black bear can climb a tree 100' feet in 30 seconds or less. At close range, a .32 would do the same job if you can put a ball behind its ear.
One hundred feet is further than 30 yards .

No sheet, re-read my post, I said 100 ft is BETTER than 30 yards. I was always taught that 30 yards is 90 ft, therefore, 100 ft is better than 30 yards.

My point is that most bear hunters in the south used relatively small (45 and under) caliber rifles to hunt bear. They treed them or held them at bay until a close shot became available. Southern Bear rifles were small caliber. They may have used a conical bullet and not round ball.

Thank you for you kind comments.

That piece of wood has been hanging around in my shop for about 35 years. I really had in mind a Bethlehem style of rifle but finally changed my mind to a simple "Southern" style of rifle and just let the simple lines and figure of the wood be the main drawing card of the rifle.

After I cut out the bears head and the fish and silver soldered them together I wondered if the contrast was going to be a little too much. I even thought previous to that of cutting out another bear design for the cheek piece. I decided against that because it would take the eye away from the wood itself.

I never have minded going off the beaten path in design when working on a project. That may upset some and interest others but in the end it is just me I am trying to satisfy. As long as I am in my workshop making wood chips and sawdust I am a happy person.

I wish someday I could be a master at it but I know it will never happen. The big plus is that I have lots of wood, barrels and components to keep me busy until the grim reaper comes around . . . hopefully not soon!

Some details of the rifle;
Barrel Rice 15/16 x 42" x .50 cal. 1:66 twist square grooves
Davis Late English lock
Davis Double set triggers
Nose cap and RR end out of Buffalo horn
This ain't a little boys rifle at a shade under nine pounds!

From the comments above it says I have totally screwed up! I should have made the bears head out of German silver and the fish out of iron.
You see, this was made for going after Polar Bear. You know, two patched balls and 150 grains of powder and a MAN on the trigger! : )

Now, if you want to hear more about Polar bear hunting just give me a minute and I'll make it up. . .

You should see that mean wife of mine when she goes bear hunting all she needs is a switch.

Barry

Back