• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern "Bear" Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingamajiggy

I agree with you on the .40 caliber in both rifle and pistol. I have built more guns of that caliber than any other.
Yes, learning to use a target shooters stance instead of a hunters stance takes quite a bit of practice. When I was very young I found out what the design of the Bethlehem style was made for.
That was my very first longrifle. The stock had extreme drop to the butt and a short length of pull. In combination with a pronounced arc to the buttplate forced me to hold the rifle in a target shooting position. That is, head vertical for best body balance, sideways to the target and with my elbow vertically under the forestock.
If you observe Olympic shooters in position you can see what I am talking about.
Most "modern" shooters learn to shoot in a modified shotgunners stance which is quite different. If you get behind one and observe you will notice they are leaning into the gun, head bent over at an angle and body about 30 to 45 degrees angled to the target. That is a good position for moving targets but not so much for one that is stationary.
Since you have an interest in the southern style of rifle go ahead and grab one. I think you will surprise yourself how comfortable they are to shoot when you get used to the different method of holding a rifle. Yes, I know the different style of shooting is difficult to change to after shooting for 50 years in the hunting style of offhand shooting.
May your shots be all 10x !
Barry
Barry , have you ever gotten into making any self bows (traditional all wood bows)? I've been scratching that itch lately along with building guns the last 40 years and wish I'd started it 25 years ago. Stock work and bow making go together really well in my opinion, both are fascinating art work !

M. De Land
To answer your question, no I have not branched out into that other world.

I think we all moved into different areas of metal and woodworking through the years. Many times between muzzleloaders I will build something else.
My wife owned a collectables and variety store for some years and I would make different things for it. Hammered dulcimers, lap dulcimers, spinning wheels, display cabinets, one miniature sleigh and bead frames. Just to name a few.

Fort Payne is a valley town and the county seat. It sits between Sand Mountain and Lookout Mountain. The town of Mentone is an old resort town about ten miles north of Fort Payne on Lookout mountain. Between here and there are lots of vacation and summer homes and cabins.
I found there was a desire from those people to have "primitive furniture" and would pay good prices for it. I cashed in on that desire.

Still the mainstay of my work is always on muzzle loading rifles and pistols.
A while back I became infatuated with steam engines and boilers. So, I built a miniature version of them and they work.
Right now I am started on another rifle and after it is finished I will probably build another different type of steam engine.

I have been a very fortunate person who has a nice workshop with all the woodworking and metalworking equipment I could ask for. That is where my joy is being able to make wood or metal chips fly in the shop. Life is good! : )

Barry

Back